Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    The Rpg books don't provide a reliable basis for the lifespans,there are just too many mistakes, it could be considered a basis if it would be small mistakes, but it is sometimes centuries or millenia off, so considering it as a basis is inaccurate at best.
    Well I'm not sure which mistakes you are talking about since you haven't specifically pointed them out , not talking specific NPCs here as specific NPCs are by their very nature exceptional cases. If you have any data to share that points out the mistakes when talking about racial(race not NPC) average lifespans please share.

  2. #22
    Elemental Lord Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Well I'm not sure which mistakes you are talking about since you haven't specifically pointed them out , not talking specific NPCs here as specific NPCs are by their very nature exceptional cases. If you have any data to share that points out the mistakes when talking about racial(race not NPC) average lifespans please share.
    Take Pandaren for example, the Rpg books say they live for 350 years, which is wrong. Chris metzen himself said they live as long as humans.
    High/blood elves live several millenia, we have example of elves who are thousands of years old, Alleria lived through the troll wars, her parents were killed during the second war making them several thousand years old as well, her grandfather actually survived the third war and as far as we know is still around and she still looks young. There are Sunreavers who served Dalaran for several human lifetimes. Those are all strong indicators against the RPG books.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Take Pandaren for example, the Rpg books say they live for 350 years, which is wrong. Chris metzen himself said they live as long as humans.
    High/blood elves live several millenia, we have example of elves who are thousands of years old, Alleria lived through the troll wars, her parents were killed during the second war making them several thousand years old as well, her grandfather actually survived the third war and as far as we know is still around and she still looks young. There are Sunreavers who served Dalaran for several human lifetimes. Those are all strong indicators against the RPG books.
    To be fair, I believe his exact words were "Roughly human...". Which is extremely subjective depending on he means compared to night elves they are much closer to human, or if he means fairly close to human. Also the "..." part also makes me wonder about his own confidence levels in his answer. I honestly don't know why the blood elves/high elves lives would be significantly shorter than night elves though.

  4. #24
    Elemental Lord Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I honestly don't know why the blood elves/high elves lives would be significantly shorter than night elves though.
    Because they used the arcane, which according to the Rpg books is the most vile thing. But that is in direct contrast to established canon lore, the Titans created the well of eternity to sustain the lush life on Azeroth, Night elves came to be bbecause of arcane exposure. Whoever came up with all that RPG comtent didn't care for already established lore and made up their own stuff, some of it is really good while much of it is utter nonsense.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I honestly don't know why the blood elves/high elves lives would be significantly shorter than night elves though.
    The Night Elves being immortal from the War of the Ancients till the end of WC3 might also have something to do with it.

  6. #26
    At least we can all agree don't piss of a Draenei cause they could hold a "long" grudge.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    At least we can all agree don't piss of a Draenei cause they could hold a "long" grudge.
    Maybe that's why we haven't seen any major Draenei action since TBC. For them, all that was just yesterday...

  8. #28
    Gnomes can live up to 203-500 years? Oh hell no.. should be around 60 or so. Time to petition blizzard about this

  9. #29
    To the Prophet Velen, we must seem like motes of dust, winking in and out of existence so quickly that we can scarcely be recognized as entities before we cease to exist -- but we burn all the brighter for it. http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/22/kn...n-the-prophet/
    This says it all lol Velen is so boss

  10. #30
    Loreology on Twitter confirmed that Velen is immortal and that Blizzard has not specified whether the rest of the draenei are or not. But they live at least more than 25,000 years since there are a number of NPCs that remember Argus and player death knights are stated to have grown up on Argus.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Persada View Post
    Gnomes can live up to 203-500 years? Oh hell no.. should be around 60 or so. Time to petition blizzard about this
    This is assuming they die of old age, and don't get killed by radiation poisoning.
    But why 'should' it be 60? Or anything for that matter?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    This is assuming they die of old age, and don't get killed by radiation poisoning.
    But why 'should' it be 60? Or anything for that matter?
    Have you ever seen a Gnome that is 200 years old in your life? Thought so.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    This is assuming they die of old age, and don't get killed by radiation poisoning.
    But why 'should' it be 60? Or anything for that matter?
    Gnomes are very developed, they should have longer life spans. Increases in technology tend to increase life expectancy.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Have you ever seen a Gnome that is 200 years old in your life? Thought so.
    Can you prove definitevely that every gnome you have seen is younger than 200?

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Can you prove definitevely that every gnome you have seen is younger than 200?
    Cut off their leg and count the rings.


    Sorry it had to be said.

  16. #36
    Pit Lord Galbrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,256
    Dwarves live until they eventually say "dude, hold my beer", often followed by attempts of arm wrestling bears. Tragically that tends to happen around their twenties.

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! Shampro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Crucible
    Posts
    5,432
    Not really sure about a few of them, but Drek'Thar is REALLLY old for an Orc, Saurfang is actually pretty damn old too.

    Eredar / Draenei seem immortal to me, age wise.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    Cut off their leg and count the rings.


    Sorry it had to be said.
    Wait...

    Gnomes have legs?

  19. #39
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,331
    Didn't Night Elves start aging like humans after they lost their immortality? I know there are quite a few who are like 10,000+ years old (because they were immortal up to that point), but I wonder what their life spans are without immortality. I seem to remember something about Jarod Shadowsong's wife (can't remember her name) and the fact that she simply died from old age. I don't remember seeing any details about the night elf lifespan post immortality in game or in any of the novels.

    I'd guess maybe 60-70 for most humans (aside from the outstanding lifespans of really powerful humans like Aegwynn, etc).

    Also, we know Draenei, if they're not immortal, can at least live for a long fucking time. In WoW's timeline, it was 25,000 years ago when Velen and the Draenei who followed him had to flee Argus, and there's no telling how long he'd been ruling together with Archimonde/Kil'jaeden (before their corruption) up to that point.

    Forsaken...I guess they can't die from natural causes, unless whatever power is keeping them "alive" suddenly goes away for whatever reason.

    Dwarf - Not specifically sure in WoW, but I think dwarves in most fantasy settings tend to live between 200-400 years, so that'd be my guess. I know they typically outlive humans by a very long time.

    Orc - Not sure, but I would guess average for them is probably about the same as the human lifespan.

    Uh.....any of the other races, I'd probably have to start digging through Google to make a guess.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-06-26 at 06:35 PM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermaplugg yer butt View Post
    Forsaken are dead so im guessing they are immortal and cannot die from age.
    But they can deteriorate over time, so I imagine the do have some sort of life span.
    How to 'Fix' WoW
    1. Fire Chris Metzen
    2. Separate PVE and PVP and balance them separately
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •