Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    Doesn't it piss you off how book readers percieve those who don't read?

Non-readers are usually considered: stupid, dull, boring, emotionless... And I'm not talking 'bout stereotypes (because I know such people in person which to this day amazes me).

Not every Reader but some of them consider themselves better just because they are reading (as if it was some kind of magical marker determining your human value and spiritual depth)
    Reading books exercises your mind and improves how well you converse with others. It can teach you new concepts, ways to phrase ideas, and words. There is some validity to thinking that someone that reads is improving against someone who does not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't noticed this really. I enjoy reading in "bursts" ... just a moment of times a year when I suddenly have the urge to read a book and finish one fast...

((Now, on the general matter of book issues... I hate that they are so expensive... I can't afford a pad system to read them as eBooks either.. so choice is to sit at the PC/Laptop and read or not at all (or read the ones you already have) but wish I could just sit where I wanted.)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The human race will find some way to make themselves feel superior. Anything will do; I read and you don't, I raid and you don't, I listen to x type of music and you listen to y, I'm white and you're black, I'm female and you're male...

Any difference between two or more people can then be used as a reason for perceived superiority. It's a survival instinct: make yourself seem more awesome, then you'll get more mates, improve your social standing, be more likely to survive, etc.

Humans are funny/frustrating like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    The human race will find some way to make themselves feel superior. Anything will do; I read and you don't, I raid and you don't, I listen to x type of music and you listen to y, I'm white and you're black, I'm female and you're male...

Any difference between two or more people can then be used as a reason for perceived superiority. It's a survival instinct: make yourself seem more awesome, then you'll get more mates, improve your social standing, be more likely to survive, etc.

Humans are funny/frustrating like that.
    Safe to assume you don't read then.

Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    I find that people who do not read have less active imaginations than those who do read, I also notice they seem less likely to find enjoyment in non visual/non audio entertainment.

So to me, yes they seem dull and boring.
    What kind of entertainment would refer to, I've yet to see any valid argument to why they are viewed dull and boring. I don't mind that you think like that, I'm just trying to understand weither there is some good reasoning behind it.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    What kind of entertainment would refer to, I've yet to see any valid argument to why they are viewed dull and boring. I don't mind that you think like that, I'm just trying to understand weither there is some good reasoning behind it.
    A few of my friends do not read so trying to do things with them that do not have some kind of major visual or audio component to it, they cant stand such as fishing, table top games like warhammer, Pen and paper role playing games such as D&D or Pathfinder. They even have a profound dislike for alot of RPGS like FF7, Ledgend of dragoon, chrono cross/crusade becuse becuse of the ammount of reading involved or that there is no visual/audio stimulation.

This has been their explination of why when I have asked them.

Ultimately it leaves us with little more than movies or heavily action oriented video games as a common intrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    The reasoning is probably along the lines of 'neural pathways are created in areas the brain is trained in. Reading books trains analysis, critical and active thinking, and imagination, and therefore, people who read books have stronger neural pathways in those particular areas of expertise.'
    Also, people who don't read books often find other kinds of entertainment. Sometimes, this is gaming. Gaming is active and engaging, and stimulates the brain. Gaming does not make you a dull person.
    The other alternative is watching lots of telly. Television is dull, and the brain is actually less active while watching television than it is while sleeping or meditating. People who watch a lot of television are probably duller and less creative, but also less analytical.

Most people who do not read books watch a lot of television.
    Most people (I know) who fervently game also read a lot.

It's still just a rule of thumb; everyone is different. But there are a few things to keep in mind:
    Mentally 'lazy' people will simply be less likely to pick up a book. They are less likely to spend effort on using their brain, and less likely to find satisfaction in the act of thinking/learning. Mentally lazy people will be more likely to seek passive entertainment (i.e. movies/television).

So there's definitely a correlation between not reading books and not being intelligent. However, this correlation is just that. There are other reasons for not reading. Time is one reason. Dyslexia is another reason.

There are also lots of people who do read books and are as dumb as mud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well books are a source of knowledge and leaves much more space for imagination to thrive.

So yeah, readers > non readers xD

I don't like self-help books.. I don't need other people telling me how to help myself
    I don't like auto/biographies of people I have no care for
    I don't like fiction/sci-fi/fantasy/romance because it just doesn't interest me

that pretty much cuts out the majority of books out there..

however, i still read trade magazines, keep up on US government regulations.. basically anything related to work

does that count? am i dumb because i don't like reading regular books?

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    however, i still read trade magazines, keep up on US government regulations.. basically anything related to work

does that count? am i dumb because i don't like reading regular books?
    You already know that it counts. If you didn't, you wouldn't ask like that.

Non-readers are usually considered: stupid, dull, boring, emotionless... And I'm not talking 'bout stereotypes (because I know such people in person which to this day amazes me).

Not every Reader but some of them consider themselves better just because they are reading (as if it was some kind of magical marker determining your human value and spiritual depth)
    I think there's more hate for the readers personally.

I work with a few stupid people, even though they're my friends but they think reading is a waste of time because YOLO. Very annoying attitude. They all joke about me being boring now.

Fact 1. Books contain knowledge.
    Fact 2. Knowledge is useful and inherently makes you better. There are 2 types of people...those who know stuff and those who don't. To accomplish shit you need to know stuff...thus people with knowledge are more useful.
    Fact 3. Reading develops vocabulary and verbal skills. Thus readers tend to be better at expressing their toughts, ideas and emotions. Thus people around them percieve them as spiritually deep and as people who have something relevant to convey.
    Fact 4. Readers can discuss a variety of topics, and can make relevant contributions to discussions, thus they are more interesting.

By extension. Those who read are better human beings then those who don't. They have more to offer in a social context and they have this magical ability called thirst for knowledge. You may be an avid reader of science fiction, or simply of scientific studies. It doesn't matter. What is important is that you read.

Readers usually look upon non readers as ignorant, and place little value on their opinions.

Non-readers are outright offended by the existence of readers, because they feel inferior. And they feel inferior for a reason.

But it's very easy to fix this. Start reading. Reading is a developed skill...nobody is born an avid reader. Practice makes perfect.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-06-26 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Those who read are better human beings then those who don't.
    This has to be (ironically) the most ignorant statement in this thread so far.
    Who are you to judge the quality of a group of people who does not share your interests? On what grounds do you even base this level of quality? Intellect? Knowledge? Insight? Productivity?

You should also understand that the largest portion of non-readers can be found among those who perform manual labour. Your world is impossible without those people. And yet, those people are not as good as you?

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    This has to be (ironically) the most ignorant statement in this thread so far.
    Don't take it out of context!

Those who read are better human beings then those who don't. They have more to offer in a social context and they have this magical ability called thirst for knowledge.
    It is literally impossible to improve as a person, unless there is some drive to do so. Any improvement is made by seeking out some form of knowledge or information. And we tend to store those in books.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-06-26 at 04:41 PM.

I think reading books can definitely help people sharpen some mental skills, as it's a medium based entirely inside the human mind. However, I think people also underestimate the importance of other mediums on human intelligence.

For example, a lot of movies that include loads of symbolism and plot subtleties in their stories can be intellectually rewarding as well. Take, for example, Citizen Kane. It's a movie that a lot of scholars and movie enthusiasts have contemplated for many years, and it features many cool hidden meanings and messages that really take some pondering to figure out. For example, the main character of the film is only generally happy when viewed through a camera angle that shows him in a reflection, suggesting that he appears a festive figure on the outside, but is conflicted on the inside. A lot of recent movies have done this as well, particularly limited release independent art projects like Beasts of The Southern Wild.

Another medium that can be underestimated is music. I would argue that dedicated listening to experimental underground music of various genres can help someone with their creativity. I read books and do a lot of writing, and I still find that a really interesting or unique album sparks my imagination the most. A lot of people feel that music today is all hook-driven drivel with no creativity, but this couldn't be farther from the truth in the underground music world. This song in particular is one that always puts me in a contemplative mood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcE4_7-X78

Video games have also started taking some interesting and clever detours into the artistic world that can be intellectually enriching. A recent example is Antichamber, a logic-based puzzle game that takes place in a series of strange chambers that don't follow the laws of this world. Floors can disappear under the player's feet, hallways can continue on into infinity, and two paths going in different directions can lead to the same destination. The game tasks the player with figuring out the logic that dictates the new world they inhabit, and using that knowledge to figure out how they can reach the exit to the world.

so, while I feel that books are one medium that can make people more intellectually capable, I think that other artistic mediums can do the exact same thing. I think more people should recognize that.

I think any non-reader just hasn't found the right book yet. I hated reading in school because they made me read things I didn't care about. Keep looking and try out some of the books your friends recommend. One may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Noemonad View Post
    I think reading books can definitely help people sharpen some mental skills, as it's a medium based entirely inside the human mind. However, I think people also underestimate the importance of other mediums on human intelligence.

For example, a lot of movies that include loads of symbolism and plot subtleties in their stories can be intellectually rewarding as well. Take, for example, Citizen Kane. It's a movie that a lot of scholars and movie enthusiasts have contemplated for many years, and it features many cool hidden meanings and messages that really take some pondering to figure out. For example, the main character of the film is only generally happy when viewed through a camera angle that shows him in a reflection, suggesting that he appears a festive figure on the outside, but is conflicted on the inside. A lot of recent movies have done this as well, particularly limited release independent art projects like Beasts of The Southern Wild.

Another medium that can be underestimated is music. I would argue that dedicated listening to experimental underground music of various genres can help someone with their creativity. I read books and do a lot of writing, and I still find that a really interesting or unique album sparks my imagination the most. A lot of people feel that music today is all hook-driven drivel with no creativity, but this couldn't be farther from the truth in the underground music world. This song in particular is one that always puts me in a contemplative mood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcE4_7-X78

Video games have also started taking some interesting and clever detours into the artistic world that can be intellectually enriching. A recent example is Antichamber, a logic-based puzzle game that takes place in a series of strange chambers that don't follow the laws of this world. Floors can disappear under the player's feet, hallways can continue on into infinity, and two paths going in different directions can lead to the same destination. The game tasks the player with figuring out the logic that dictates the new world they inhabit, and using that knowledge to figure out how they can reach the exit to the world.

so, while I feel that books are one medium that can make people more intellectually capable, I think that other artistic mediums can do the exact same thing. I think more people should recognize that.
    Generally to understand all those subtle meanings in films and even video games you need to research a number of other topics. The information you need to put things in context are usually hidden in....books.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noemonad View Post
    Great track to choose, I love that album. I've been hammering recently, I find it's a great album to read to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Don't take it out of context!

It is literally impossible to improve as a person, unless there is some drive to do so. Any improvement is made by seeking out some form of knowledge or information. And we tend to store those in books.
    I'm sorry if you feel I have quoted you out of context; that was not my intention at all.
    However, my opinion stands: It is not knowledge or information per sé that makes a person valuable, or 'better' as a human being. It may contribute to it, of course, but I don't think one should judge another person's worth beyond their intrinsic value as a human being, and member of our species. Even if we're not all equal of ability or capability, 'value' should not be used to describe a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, the book was better.