Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whatever happened to Blast Wave?

I'm just now picking up my mage again after not really touching it since early wrath. (Naxx, when frostfire spec was awesome.) It occurred to me that this spell no longer exists. Any idea when and why it was removed?

Removed to reduce bloat far as I know, it sucks. :\

Loved that spell, both it's use and animation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

it was combined with framestrike

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Removed to reduce bloat far as I know, it sucks. :\

Loved that spell, both it's use and animation.
    When did this happen?

I also remember seeing fire mages have a flame orb in cata. I guess this was removed for the same reason?

It got baked into flamestrike for Fire mages only.

Little known fact, it has been bugged since MoP beta.
    You can see for yourself too. Go to a target dummy (or any other target), cast flamestrike and watch the targets debuffs.

The first time you cast flamestrike, you will see the blastwave debuff. As soon as flamestrike's CD is up, immediately cast it again and lo and behold, no flamestrike debuff or effect.

This is because when they combined the spells they forgot to remove blastwave's CD, or better, make blastwave's cooldown at least the same as flamestrikes so that it applies on every flamestrike. Either way, the spell is bugged hardcore.

I personally brought up this bug many many times during beta and beyond, but was constantly shouted down by the mage community at the time since 'what color should the water elemental's top hat be?' was 'deemed' a far more important issue by your mage mvp, compared to buggy spells from non-frost specs.

Eventually, I just stopped talking about it. *shrugs*
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.

I really miss it as well. It was really fun both in pvp and pve! I also liked using it while farming instances if I had a large pile of mobs that I needed to behave till I could pull another group. I would really love if they could make flamestrike instant cast so that I can get a little bit of that KAPOW! feeling back.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post

You can see for yourself too. Go to a target dummy (or any other target), cast flamestrike and watch the targets debuffs.

The first time you cast flamestrike, you will see the blastwave debuff. As soon as flamestrike's CD is up, immediately cast it again and lo and behold, no flamestrike debuff or effect.

This is because when they combined the spells they forgot to remove blastwave's CD, or better, make blastwave's cooldown at least the same as flamestrikes so that it applies on every flamestrike. Either way, the spell is bugged hardcore.

I personally brought up this bug many many times during beta and beyond, but was constantly shouted down by the mage community at the time since 'what color should the water elemental's top hat be?' was 'deemed' a far more important issue by your mage mvp, compared to buggy spells from non-frost specs.

It's as if the ghost of the dead spell is haunting flamestrike for replacing it :P

I also miss old mana shield. I know incanter's ward was the replacement and all mages get ice barrier now if they want but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Genooo View Post
    When did this happen?

I also remember seeing fire mages have a flame orb in cata. I guess this was removed for the same reason?
    Not quite.

Flame orb was removed from Fire and given to Frost because frost mage QQed hard during beta that "they needed more stuff".

So Fire's AoE prowess was stripped and given to frostmages.
    Flame orb was stripped from the class and given to frost mages as an exclusive.
    Arcane's burst was stripped and given to Frost.
    Tons of gameplay from both specs was stripped and given to frost (e.g. Flame orb as arcane for machine gun arcane missiles)

and so on...

A lot went wrong in the beta, where the desires of a select few bias mages really just got on a runaway train, leaving the class in a very undesirable final state.
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."

Not quite.

Flame orb was removed from Fire and given to Frost because frost mage QQed hard during beta that "they needed more stuff".

So Fire's AoE prowess was stripped and given to frostmages.
    Flame orb was stripped from the class and given to frost mages as an exclusive.
    Arcane's burst was stripped and given to Frost.
    Tons of gameplay from both specs was stripped and given to frost (e.g. Flame orb as arcane for machine gun arcane missiles)

and so on...

A lot went wrong in the beta, where the desires of a select few bias mages really just got on a runaway train, leaving the class in a very undesirable final state.
    While I'm cool with seeing frost mages actually viable in pve for the first time since MC(Unless they were for one of those periods I quit wow), they could have given them all the extra new shit without removing it from the other specs.

Blast wave was really nice in the way that it gave fire AOE rotation some kind of sense.. get pyrocrits -> blow combo -> blast away and spread via impact.. Sadly, AE spam is clear winner in generic aoe, if you are not chuck norris who can time flamestrike with nova shatter

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 07:02 PM ----------

Frost already had the orb..
    I understand your frustrations, but frost gameplay is essentially the same since 4.0.6, except missing mega-"oomph" of offensive DF
    seeing frost mages actually viable in pve for the first time since MC
    Frost was OK in T11 and mediocre, but viable in T12.

Quote Originally Posted by IsrafaelMage View Post
    Frost already had the orb..
    I know.. in fact I was one of the few voices against it. But the frost mages (led by your mvp) QQed that they "wanted more stuff" and that 'moar stuff' needed to be frost exclusive.

I still remember the threads back then, where your MVP and his little troop of frostmages were arguing hard (very hard) that both Arcane and Fire mages should not get the orb and that it should be made frost exclusive.

As I said dude, I tried to give some pushback, but MoP beta was really a twilight zone moment for mages. And pretty much anything that could have gone wrong, did.
    You mages are still suffering the effects of that till this day.

Sometimes when I think about it, I think maybe it serves you guys right? After all, it was you guys who gave your MVP such a free hand during the beta in the first place, so I guess you reap what you sow?

I won't accept calling it baked into flamestrike, until flamestrike is an instant cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

I understand your frustrations, but frost gameplay is essentially the same since 4.0.6, except missing mega-"oomph" of offensive DF
    That's funny...

Fire gameplay has been "spam fireball" since the beginning of wow, but I don't see frostmages rallying behind making things exclusive for fire, now do I? And neither do I see fire mages rallying together en masse to nerf gameplay for frostmages (like what the frostmages were doing in MoP to fire and arcane).

I think I smell a frost supremacist in this thread....

edit: and looking at your armory just confirms it.
    You guys really need a new hobby other than picking on the specs of your own class. Its soo silly imho.

I know.. in fact I was one of the few voices against it. But the frost mages (led by your mvp) QQed that they "wanted more stuff" and that 'moar stuff' needed to be frost exclusive.

I still remember the threads back then, where your MVP and his little troop of frostmages were arguing hard (very hard) that both Arcane and Fire mages should not get the orb and that it should be made frost exclusive.

As I said dude, I tried to give some pushback, but MoP beta was really a twilight zone moment for mages. And pretty much anything that could have gone wrong, did.
    You mages are still suffering the effects of that till this day.

Sometimes when I think about it, I think maybe it serves you guys right? After all, it was you guys who gave your MVP such a free hand during the beta in the first place, so I guess you reap what you sow?
    I suppose this is proof that contrary to popular belief, QQing on forums does help if you QQ hard enough!

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 04:14 PM ----------

That's funny...

Fire gameplay has been "spam fireball" since the beginning of wow, but I don't see frostmages rallying behind making things exclusive for fire, now do I? And neither do I see fire mages rallying together en masse to nerf gameplay for frostmages (like what the frostmages were doing in MoP to fire and arcane).
    So I was actually doing it right when I first hit level 70 in TBC(I was a noob, was my first max level) and my single target rotation consisted of spamming fireball and fire blasting on CD? (It was also my multi target rotation because I didn't know what aoe was.)

Removed because it looked cool and had a knockback which gave firemages something to distinguish themselves further with. In other words it was homogenized out, like so many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Genooo View Post
    I suppose this is proof that contrary to popular belief, QQing on forums does help if you QQ hard enough!
    Not really.. it only works if you have an official blizzard MVP QQing for your cause.

You can QQ all you want, provide any data, facts, and reason you have, but you will be ignored because the MVP wants a pony with his frostmage.

That is what the MoP beta showed.

edit: and looking at your armory just confirms it.
    I think you should stop sweeping generalizations, i played fire till 5.2, despite mega-nerfs and all other stuff.. What i meant is that frost, without _any_ regard to other specs, didnt get anything FROM other two specs, one of which was very dear to me before ignite changes and runaway scaling problems with critical mass (and nerf hit me much harder than hardcore raiders because i didnt have the gear to compensate 8% crit loss). I admit, i strongly dislike arcane, but its mostly personal reasons, not ingame ones.

Fire gameplay has been "spam fireball" since the beginning of wow
    Fire was as much 'reactive' spec as frost before 5.0, and after that it became proactive spec.. what are you talking about?
    Last edited by IsrafaelMage; 2013-06-26 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added quote

What i meant is that frost, without _any_ regard to other specs, didnt get anything FROM other two specs
    Um mm... Previous to MOP, arcane was considered, if nothing else, as the "burst" spec. During beta, arcane was stripped of that title and ability, and it was given to frost.

Arcane had the orb, it was taken away and made frost exclusive.

How can you sit there and say nothing was taken away and given to frost?

^ That is the absurdity that I speak of. In all the class communities that I am a part of (which is many), it is only really the frosmages of the mage community that have such a massively narrow and destructive view towards their own class, which is something you have displayed here in style.

I still do not know why frost mages do this. Its at least according to me it is the strangest behavior in gaming. /boggle

apparently this is fixed in the current ptr. i just tried on a dummy and it works every reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    apparently this is fixed in the current ptr. i just tried on a dummy and it works every reset.
    Hell... its about time....

Fire was as much 'reactive' spec as frost before 5.0, and after that it became proactive spec.. what are you talking about?
    Ok I'm sorry but this is the stupidest thing I have read on these forums for a looong time (and I've been here for what seems like ages now).
    I'm just going to quote this and leave it here, but I am in no mood right now to either educate or debate with morons today.

You need to lurk more Israfael. Either that, or at least educate yourself a bit before posting, because this is just absurd mate.