Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not in the country I live in. I'll be staying in New York, New York. Specifically the Plaza Hotel, I believe. Is that close to the Microcenters listed? First time in NY so I've got no idea where those microcenter locations are.

Another thing I should add: I will not be buying a case. I will just be buying pretty much every other part and keeping it in their boxes so I can put it with my luggage and send it back home when i come back from New York (any idea how I can go about this? would I be able to fit it all in a carry on?)

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 05:32 AM ----------

So yeah ignore my previous comment about small form factor, I'll just get a Mid Tower or Full Tower when I'm back home

10+ Year Old Account
    SSD will make load times much shorter than an mechanical drive. I can't live without it in BF3.

This build should do BF3 maxed at your desired resolution 5760x1080p at 45 average fps, 10-15 fps more if you overclock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.90 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.62 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1382.71
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-26 21:59 EDT-0400)
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    at 5760x1080 for THAT cheap?? WOW. Did you mean BF4 instead of BF3 because thats what I'm aiming for: the futureproofing. I can't wait for Battlefield 4 and I want to tear it up. If Battlefield 4 with the Frostbite engine and what not simply cant be done at 5760x1080 at high settings with my budget, like I said I don't mind going 1920x1080 which would just mean higher quality cooler/mobo/RAM/PSU/maybe an i7 and pair it with a 770 instead? Also for 5760x1080 Battlefield 4 would 3GB VRAM on that 780 be enough? Wouldnt a 4GB version be better?

Edit: Also ,wouldnt a 4770k+16GB RAM improve longevity? I'm actually a bit worried about how people are bringing up the need for more than 4 cores due to consoles
    Last edited by Ripox; 2013-06-27 at 02:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will easily handle high settings, not sure about ultra/maxed.

3gb is more than enough for 5760x1080p as seen here : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/E..._Cooler/8.html
    At that resolution the 780 is faster than the titan that has 6gb ram.

I doubt you are gonna see any improvement going to a 4770k in BF4, perhaps an 5 % increase.

Cooler should handle 4.2GHz easily, no point upgrading unless you wanna go higher.
    Motherboard have great features and is imo the best performance/price motherboard out now.
    Suggested RAM is all you need, going more or higher speed wont result in any improvement.
    PSU is one of the best on the market right now.

If you decide to go for 1080p (which I would suggest for the best gaming experience), get the 770.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

the number one reason I will be buying a new console... http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com...ome/index.aspx If only they would put out a PC version..
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    You will easily handle high settings, not sure about ultra/maxed.

3gb is more than enough for 5760x1080p as seen here : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/E..._Cooler/8.html
    At that resolution the 780 is faster than the titan that has 6gb ram.

I doubt you are gonna see any improvement going to a 4770k in BF4, perhaps an 5 % increase.

Cooler should handle 4.2GHz easily, no point upgrading unless you wanna go higher.
    Motherboard have great features and is imo the best performance/price motherboard out now.
    Suggested RAM is all you need, going more or higher speed wont result in any improvement.
    PSU is one of the best on the market right now.

If you decide to go for 1080p (which I would suggest for the best gaming experience), get the 770.
    So I can keep that build as-is and if I'm going 5760x1080 I keep the 780, if i want to go 1920x1080 I shave off 200-250$ off the price and get a 770? Sweeeet. Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Same for me, truly a stunning game.
    They are doing a petition to port the game to PC, but I will still play it on console regardless. 4k TV + lovely couch = super experience

Ripox, have you preordered the game? AMD cards are getting released soon and you will get BF4 for free with their never settle bundle. 8950 is the same price or lower than the 770 and should provide 10 % better performance according to rumors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can consoles even play on 4K TVs?

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 06:25 AM ----------

By consoles I mean games such as The Division, CoD, BF4 running on PS4?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Old discussion over, re-using this thread (as I've been told not to make new threads) regarding a potential build.
    Taken from latest reply I added, put in OP for convenience:

Well, in any case I'll be in New York (Which means I have access to proper stores like Newegg without absurd shipping costs!) soon for a while and I'm very much considering getting a new rig, I can spare some money (Might range from $1000 to $1600)

Now, is it possible, on that budget, for me to play a triple-screen setup of 1080p monitors (5760x1080) of Battlefield 4 at strong settings (high, not necessarily ultra) at decent framerate (40+). Do you guys know if all 3 of the screens have to be the same? The budget is just for the rig btw, not any peripherals/monitors.

Also, what budget would you guys actually suggest, if mine isnt enough, for an enjoyable Surround/Eyefinity experience in Battlefield 4?

If going Surround/Eyefinity at that budget means less-than-strong performance then ignore surround/eyefinity and just go with 1920x1080 single screen.

Budget: $1000-$1600
    Resolution: 5760x1080 or 1920x1080, read above
    Games / Settings Desired: Battlefield 4 on high settings, Call of Duty: Ghosts high settings, Star Wars: Battlefront (upcoming) high settings, StarCraft II maxed out, LoL maxed out.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): I might mess around with some video rendering but not very frequently and not on a daily basis, but all this talk about 8-cores being the future of gaming is pushing me away from an i5
    Parts that can be reused: Nah
    Do you need an OS?: Nope
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: Nope

Extra info: I really want to future proof this for at least 2 years (If that means going i7 to handle potential games that could take advantage of it, so be it) . The smaller/lighter the form factor, the better. I don't worry too much about noisy fans or whatever, I can't hear much when I use my headphones anyways. An SSD is not mandatory for this build but would certainly be a plus, even if it is just 64GB. I don't think I'll put any games on an SSD, probably just my OS. (What would BF4 benefit from being on an SSD?)

Please keep the tech recent stuff, I don't want Ivy Bridge or 6 series GPU's or any tech that is not current-generation.
    Thanks. I realize this is a bit different than the original post focus but I've been told to not make new threads.

Thanks folks.

Suppose all I really want to play is Call of Duty: Ghosts, FIFA 14, and Battlefield 4 (BF4 the most).

Come Q4 2013, where should my money be going?

atm my PC has got an i5-2320 and a GT545, for BF4 would the PS4's and XBones be playing the game better than my current PC?
    and if the aforementioned games are the only ones I play, should I be looking just to buy a console (I understand that their GPU is like a 7770 or 7790 and that the CPU is not the best as an AMD one) or be investing in a new rig?

If I was to build a PC instead, how much would it cost to have similar performance to a PS4/XBone? would it still be around the 300-400$ mark?

Its kinda weird how the PS4/Xbone is dirt cheap and the trailers for BF4 seem AH-MAY-ZING in terms of graphics. Is that due to unbelievable optimization or are the trailers played on overpowered PCs?

If I was trying to play BF4 near-max settings @ 1080p, what would I be looking at? a 4670k/4770k and a 770/780?
    I ain't really going to make this into a PC vs Console war. But recently I got to borrow a PS3 from a friend. Now I've not really been a big console gamer, in fact I've never really played with the 7th generation console much at all.

Well I have to say as a gamer, its cheaper in the long run and more economical owning a console. Well that is simply from a pricing point of view. Not only are games more easily trade able on consoles, they don't have that stupid CD Key lock that PC games have. I can't remember the number of times I've had to buy a game only for me to then realize that its a complete waste. And the worse part is you are stuck with that junk since you can't trade it in and no game store will give you a refund cause its practically useless.

Moving onto performance. The 8th generation consoles look really really good. They may not be able to work as well as the high end gaming computers, but consoles have come a really really long way.

Not only that, games these days are often developed for consoles and ported out to the computer. So often combat systems, game design often is easier with a controller. Sure you can just connect one to your computer but again not worth when taking pricing under consideration.

When I look at the bigger picture, pricing is a very important and probably plays an even bigger role than performance. I know if I buy a console, it would last me for a good few years. However, on a PC, there is always a need to upgrade the components and the initial investment is quite a bit.

The only reason I feel to really build a gaming computer is if you are one of those that really requires mods to add something more to your games. That is probably the only advantage I feel differentiates Console and PC gaming. I can't really see any other reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly gaming is not possible in 4K with the PS4.. Movies is :/
    Oh well.

Toffie how much did that 4k TV cost you? I've been looking at one but it's to costly for my tastes atm plus I want to pick up a 780 sometime or wait for a 8970.

10+ Year Old Account
    Around 10k $, my parents paid for it though.

New 4K tv's are MUCH MUCH less though, just wait 1-2 months for them.

Wait for the 8970 imo, rumor says 15 % faster performance than the GTX Titan(I doubt that) at a 500-600 £ price.

Yeah that's what I've been leaning towards, I want to see what AMD offers then decide and buy Man it's nice having a new job that pays me plenty of money to spend on my hobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    toffie how can i get WiFi on that rig?

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 07:41 AM ----------

and no toffie i havent preordered BF4 yet but if i get this build from the US it will be late August, i dont think the 8 series gpu from amd will be out by then. do you think its worth it for me to get an nvidia card or skip gpu till new amd cards and pay the 100 dollar extra by getting it where i live