Upgrading my current PC

I feel like my computer isnt running some of the games as well as I would hoped, and I was curious if there any parts I could upgrade on my current rig to bring it more in line. I am not super well versed in whats available today, but I have no problems taking computers apart and upgrading what I need.

Currently I have:
    AMD FX 8120 Eight Core Processor 3.10GHz
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 1024mb Graphic Memory
    8 Gigs of DDR3 Ram
    Board: ASRock N68-VS3 FX

Any suggestions of what I might look into doing? Some games just aren't giving me the graphical quality I am looking for.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is it not performing as you'd like? Both the CPU and GPU are a bit lackluster, to be honest.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where is it not performing as you'd like? Both the CPU and GPU are a bit lackluster, to be honest.
    I'm playing FF14 and I am just not getting as high on the bench mark as I'd like. The game plays fine, but on even max settings the game just does not look as polished as others I've seen play. I want that same raw beauty.

Would it be best to just go for a new computer? Is the vid card worth keeping?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a new system is necessary. Is FF14 even.. out? I thought the NDA just got lifted like a week ago.

Either way, both your CPU and GPU are almost two generations old, and 'okay' at best.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    You may find that your CPU is actually running at 2.8GHz which is the factory baseline for 8120's You should have a program called AMD Overdrive that came with you CPU, you can quite easily overclock it to 3.7/3.8 (x18.5 or x19 multiplayer) without having to change anything apart from the core multiplier.

Try this to see if it gives you what your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't think a new system is necessary. Is FF14 even.. out? I thought the NDA just got lifted like a week ago.

Either way, both your CPU and GPU are almost two generations old, and 'okay' at best.
    Been testing 14 since alpha. Really enjoying it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    You may find that your CPU is actually running at 2.8GHz which is the factory baseline for 8120's You should have a program called AMD Overdrive that came with you CPU, you can quite easily overclock it to 3.7/3.8 (x18.5 or x19 multiplayer) without having to change anything apart from the core multiplier.

Try this to see if it gives you what your looking for.
    Just threw it on 19, brought me to 3.8 from 3.2, we will see how this goes. Think it would be safe to hit 4.0?
    Last edited by Sleepless Dreams; 2013-06-28 at 01:49 AM.