Deleted

Need advice on losing weight/proper eating habits

So guys, I know its a strange place to ask, but this is one community I'm most familiar with, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem/in my situation.

A few things about me. I'm 25, 5' 11'' and about 16 1/2 stone, I'm also an Endomorph, which makes this harder. I've been slowly losing weight over the year while at university, but now it's over it all seems to be coming back. I've joined a gym to try and combat this, but I'm dead set on going for permanent weight loss this time.

I try and walk the dog a couple of times a week (Theres a few of us living here, so we all take turns), and on days when I don't I will walk a couple of miles instead (Either to the next supermarket along or into town or something). When I'm at uni, I'm dancing most days, so it's a fairly active schedule. When I'm not at uni, I have nothing to do, so I play WoW most of the day, and therein lies my problem.

So, fitness gurus. My questions to you are these:

1) How much time should I be spending at the gym? And while there, what exercises are the best for losing weight. If possible, i'd prefer cardio over strength training, as that would be of more use to me.
    2) I read that Endomorphs and carbs don't get along? Is this true? And if yes, what kind of foods should I be eating/avoiding?
    3) Finally, what would you say is a healthy target weight? And when should I hope to achieve it?

Thanks in advice for any advice you can give!

Deleted
    1) 1-1½ hr per session, amount of sessions per week depends on the program you're doing, but most beginers go like 3 times a week. Weight Lifting > Cardio, in the sense that muscle growth = higher metabolism = easier to lose weight, also most cardio activities are boring as fuck. But whatever floats your boat, the main goal is to goto gym regularly and not skip because you're bored.
    2) Ignore that endomorph bs. Avoid carb rich foods such as pasta, bread, potatos, rice and sugar when on diet, learn to love protein heavy foods such as chicken/turkey, broccoli and tuna.
    3) 13 stone, in 6-9 months.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-06-27 at 12:44 AM.

Start the fast workout plan, do jogging, running, rope jumping, and swimming in routine workout to lose your weight fast.
    Take natural fat burning foods instead of the diet pills or supplements to lose weight properly without any bad reaction.

To know about the Maitland Health Club
    Last edited by Alfred555; 2013-06-29 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    1. Untill the time you're exhausted I would say, and try setting your standards higher everyday until you are exhausted. So that would be a few hours a day, maybe 1 hour. Btw, don't see it as an obsession so you cansometimes get a day off for yourself, because if you don't and you skip a few days in the future without training, you'll maybe feel guilty about yourself and probably fall back in your old habitats again
    2. I think you mean carbohydrates probably? I should suggest you eat some portion vegetables which is full of them about everyday, together with some small piece of meat.
    3. I'm not into the American heights and weights, but 1 thing I should suggest is that you stop walking and start running. Try to see walking as passive as sitting, which will feel almost the same if you have trained enough I guess. Oh, and try cardio as alternation ofc But keep in mind that running is the most important if you do it right! Your whole body is trained and if you can get the so called 'second breath' as we call it here, you'll be losing weight in no time

15+ Year Old Account
    Will just say that general strenght training will do more for your body composition than cardio. If you just loose weight with only cardio you will just look like a smaller version of the start(less fat, but no definition). If you want a slim and athletic body you need proper strenght training.

1. If you are dead set on cardio i would recommend to do whatever you feel like. Either that be sprinting, marathon running and so forth. I would recommend doing it at distances(not the threadmill) since then you can easier track your progress(how fast you run 3km and so forth).

2. Endomorphs and such is just some Broscience BS. What you need to consider is eating correctly and get enough protein(for muscles) and fat(for satiety and general health). The recommended is 2g proteins per kg and 1g fat per kg. In your case around 200g protein and 100g fat each day. The rest of your calories you can fill with carbs. I would also recommend getting some fiber in your diet, and a lot of vegetables to fill you up. Since your BMR is roughly around 2200 kcal and your spending is around 3000kcal i would recommend starting at 2500kcal and see how that will work for your weight.

3. You could easly do around 0,3 to 0,5 kgs a week until about 85-90kg(depends on your current muscle mass).

On burning calories/improving fitness:
    -Weight training in the long run burns more calories. It even passively burns them on the days you don't work out as all muscle has a "resting" calorie consumption.
    -I would recommend doing 5-6 workouts a week, with 30 minutes of cardio (vary the exercise) and 30 minutes of weight training (alternate upper and lower body).

On diet:
    -Avoiding extra fat (frying) and sugar (soda/pop/cola) is the key. Even salad dressings and condiments can be pretty terrible. Mustard is great though!
    -Read the labels. No sugar added foods are usually preferred (even on common bread!). Sugar is called empty for a reason, you could eat a day's worth of calories of it and not be satified.
    -Eat fewer processed foods. Eat less fast food. Cook for yourself.
    -Eat more whole foods. Steamed veggies, boiled potatos (high caloric but very filling for caloric content), Lean Meats. Oatmeal. Fruits (but not fruit juices, they are basically soda).
    In the end it is the little stuff that kills you, the special sauce on the burger, the soda with the value meal, the snack food. The key is to really just sit down and read the labels on EVERYTHING you eat. The more you read the more you'll understand. The second key is eating ENOUGH food to not be hungry all the time, which means eating whole foods that still have their structure intact thus taking longer to process, and eating more fiber.

Weight is less important than "Waist to Height" ratio, as ideal weight varies across different body shapes. A healthy/'normal' waist to height ratio is 0.41 to 0.50. [waist measured at belly button]/[height] = [Waist to Height]