Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Please help me understand something. (Destruction warlock)

Hello, I play a Brewmaster Monk in my 10 man raiding guild. Now we have a warlock doing lower dps then the rest of the group and I was wondering if there was anything that you could tell me so then I can help them out. It is kinda hurting our progression in heroics.

Logs http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w00gr5k42119btq8/

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...athorah/simple

Thanks anything will help because I don't know the first thing about warlocks.

Have a great day!

He's focusing on the wrong stat: He's using Grimoire of Supremacy but stacking Mastery. He should be using Haste as his primary stat.

Stacking Mastery with Supremacy effectively wastes DPS, as is does not affect his pets.

Mastery is best for Grimoire of Sacrifice, Haste is best for Supremacy. Tell him to either change his talent or change his gems/enchants/reforging/gear choices.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-06-27 at 03:52 PM.

I’m the raid leader, and ^^ is an awesome tank =). Funny thing, I was just coming here to do the same thing he did lol. Any help that could be provided would be awesome.

They also don't want to be gemming for straight int as at higher gear levels the stat weight of secondary stats starts to overtake straight int. They will want to do 320 haste/mastery gems in yellow sockets and 80 int 160 haste/mastery in red sockets (depending on the choice that nether stated above).
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Stacking Mastery with Supremacy effectively wastes DPS, as is does not affect his pets.
    This is not so simply said. AoE heavy fights favour mastery and supremacy. You can't really talk about 'stacking' mastery at 6.6k mastery.

OT: He should really get his rain of fire uptime better. 21% on primordius, he should be close to 100% there. He also doesn't seem to be using havoc at all and used dhadowburn only once on dark animus. These are really quite basics of destruction, so you may have to ask him to read some guides...
    Other than that, make sure he has an addon to track the breath of the hydra proc and ask him to focus his chaos bolts during that proc and during Dark Soul.

He needs to get 2Set. (4set is poop)

Only real issues gear wise is reforging and gems.

+3138 Mastery
    +981 Critical Strike
    +214 Haste
    Crit is worst stat.
    Its Haste>Mastery>Crit for single target
    Mastery>Haste>Crit cleave/AOE

He should be gemming split Gems in each socket, either Haste or Mastery on each.
    Mastery/hit for blue
    Mastery yellow
    int/mastery red
    (or haste instead of mastery)

Personaly I have the ~8100 haste cap for when im demo, and the rest into Mastery because I switch specs between fights.

Major things in rotation that can effect DPS.

Immolate need 100% uptime -> hes at 25.8 %

Rain of Fire needs 100% (ONLY if full durration will hit boss) He's at - > 8.8 %

Havoc is a MASSIVE Dps increase on anyfight with more than 1 thing to pewpew.
    -If possible use havoc to cleave Shdwburn (EG Horridon - I pull nearly 250k on H horridon at iLvl 525 beacuse of this, and aoe)
    -Otherwise use it for immolateCleave with incinerates, less effective with conflag

Make sure hes not ember capping, if he has more than 3.2 or so embers , Chaosblt.

When breathprocs he should dump all his embers to increase Chaosblt dmg.

Apply Immolate with Procs for increase dmg.

Make sure he's using Doomguard Durring Heroism. (more dps than the 20% increase execute)

Look up fight specific for best DPS, EG on Jinrock dont use observer, use imp and put him on "MoveTo" so he sits in the puddle the whole fight. I use my imp as demonology on that fight because it will pull much higher dps.

He's focusing on the wrong stat: He's using Grimoire of Supremacy but stacking Mastery. He should be using Haste as his primary stat.

I missed that^ but yes that is a waste of dps
    Last edited by forsworn; 2013-06-27 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by forsworn View Post
    Make sure he's using Doomguard Durring Heroism. (more dps than the 20% increase execute)
    Doomguard does not pull more casts off during hero. Use either at pull to have it scale with procs and prepot or try to time at it about 1 min before the boss will die.

But really, get his rotation right, then his stats. Using the right spells at the right time will increase his dps much more than different reforges and gems.

Thank you all for the feedback! I will be taking all the info back and helping this individual out! Keep the info coming.

Ideally, you need to use your Doomguard/Infernal at the pull or when your raid uses Bloodlust/ Heroism/ Time Warp.
    From Icyveins Demonology DPS guide.

He scales Dynamically, which means he wont snapshot your stats, as you get procs, he gets procs.

He scales Dynamically, which means he wont snapshot your stats, as you get procs, he gets procs.
    Doomguard still only gets 17-18 casts off even with Hero. There's no point to using it during Hero. Either use it at the start with all procs, or use it 60 seconds before the end of the fight/the boss hits 20%.

Deleted

Doomguard does gain increased cast speed from haste, but don't mistake this, he won't pull off extra casts during his minute duration. There was a discussion about this in the demo thread.

EDIT: beaten to it

Looking at the logs I would say the following: Gemming, talents, and gear are not the main issues. It is simply game play.

Read Brusalk's guide -> Get PowerAuras/WeakAuras -> Setup the auras properly -> And simply cast spells when they need to be cast

Need auras to watch immolate, conflagrate, RoF, shadow burn, embers, CoE, trinkets and procs. Knowing when to blow all your CBs is extremely important, I'd highly recommend downloading MageNuggets addon, so that you can monitor your overall spellpower with the stats monitor.

In terms of playstyle: For a fight like Primordius, he should be choosing MF and Sacrifice, keeping RoF on the adds while spamming the boss with CBs (when mutated). At a bare minimum this will generate 150k dps with his current gear.

DG has limited casts now? Im gona test this when I get home. Tooltip says he casts untill dead.

<snip>
    Major things in rotation that can effect DPS.

Immolate need 100% uptime -> hes at 25.8 %

Rain of Fire needs 100% (ONLY if full durration will hit boss) He's at - > 8.8 %

Havoc is a MASSIVE Dps increase on anyfight with more than 1 thing to pewpew.
    -If possible use havoc to cleave ShdwFlame (EG Horridon - I pull nearly 250k on H horridon at iLvl 525 beacuse of this, and aoe)
    -Otherwise use it for immolateCleave with incinerates, less effective with conflag
    <snip>
    Low uptime on Immolate and Rain of Fire will kill Destro's DPS for sure. It's not the damage they do, it's the ember generation they provide. GC is quoted as stating that RoF alone is responsible for something like 36% of single-target ember generation.

One thing I had to comment on though with the advice being given: Havoc is a Destro spec ability, where ShadowFlame is granted to Demo. There's no way in hell Forsworn is using them in conjunction to do any kind of DPS on any encounter. You cleave ChaosBolt, Shadowburn, or a filler spell. There used to be a bug that made Immolate do more damage when used via Havoc, but that was fixed long ago. I wouldn't recommend wasting Havoc on it now.

As for the stat weights, I've yet to run any simulations but your warlock can use SimC to see if using hybrid gems is beneficial over pure int. The decision will affect his DPS, but fixing his ability priorities and uptimes will have a much bigger impact.

Personally, playing mainspec destro this entire tier (currently progressing on iron qon), I can say with confidence that Zathorah could pick up 60k DPS on the Primordius log you linked by making better use of ember generating abilities. The fight durations of my guild's last attempt and your linked attempt are not the same, so the uptime percentages are a bit different, but where my attempt was a a full mintue longer I had a full two minutes more uptime on my RoF usage. I pulled 60k more DPS over the course of a longer fight.
    Last edited by Alaira; 2013-06-27 at 06:16 PM.

Using Havoc with immolate is more dps than an incinerate as long as ur not clipping above 50% of base duration.

*fixed typo with shadowflame

Look up fight specific for best DPS, EG on Jinrock dont use observer, use imp and put him on "MoveTo" so he sits in the puddle the whole fight. I use my imp as demonology on that fight because it will pull much higher dps.
    It was my understanding that the pet's damage is based off whether or not the warlock was in the pool, not whether or not the pet itself was in the pool. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Raid leader here again. From what I've been reading here and in guides, really the core principal of destro is to generate as many embers as possible for as many chaos bolts as possible. From what you're saying here, it doesn't look like that's what she's doing at all. Am I close?

Deleted
    Well no, she's not playing the spec correctly and truth be told, she's playing it wrong. But with the right guidance and patience I believe she'll improve.

It would be also good to talk to her about her UI. To give you an example Tidyplates set to go red and enlarge anytime any mob reaches 20% will help her DPS immenselly.

Also, tell her to make a mouseover macro for her Shadowburn and Havoc.

These changes are imo much more important than if she's stacking mastery or not. So just tell her to do what the guys above me already said plus recommend tweaking her UI. Destro is a spec that looks easy, but it has its hidden complexity.

Weak auras to monitor her procs and possibly Rain of Fire will also be a great help.

Come to think of it.. a good UI is one of the most important things for DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotdabow View Post
    It was my understanding that the pet's damage is based off whether or not the warlock was in the pool, not whether or not the pet itself was in the pool. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes if the lock is in the pool pet does increased dmg. This has been cleared ages ago.
    If your lock is doing less dmg than the rest of the group the first thing he has to do is improve his gameplay. All this reforges and gem switches will not do a dramatic increase. And tbh regarding destruction no one can tell you with certainty which stat is best. All stats are more or less equal, it really depends on the fight mostly.
    Last edited by mmoc5d5ecdcb45; 2013-06-28 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivio View Post
    To give you an example Tidyplates set to go red and enlarge anytime any mob reaches 20% will help her DPS immenselly.

Also, tell her to make a mouseover macro for her Shadowburn and Havoc.
    This is some very good advice! I will do the same.