Thread: Monk Tanks

Deleted

Question Monk Tanks

Hey Guys,

So i've been raiding for a while now (2 years) and i've always enjoyed DPS'ing. I used to play ret pala but then i switched over to windwalker monk and i haven't regretted it since. But it has come to a point where my guild needs a back-up tank and since WW and BM use the same gear that would make me the number 1 candidate. Only problem here is: I've never tanked before in my life. I dont even know the basics like: Where do you stand as an off tank, how does threat work, when to use CD or when to taunt. Also when pulling a boss, schould i just taunt it our throw a barrel or put down ox statue. I've looked for a few video's and guides on BM tanking and it doesn't seem that difficult, but for me it is since i dont know anything about tanking. Also is there alot of reforging i have to do from WW to BM? I believe BM needs more expertise. Anyway if you guys could help on some of these issues i'd be realy gratefull

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mmoc5bba12573f; 2013-06-27 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    I would also check out Sunniers website about monking, cannot post links yet so google Sunnier's Art of War. She also has a nice guide and overview for new Brewmasters that should help you out.

Transitioning from Windwalker to Brewmaster should be smooth, their playstyles are very similair in how you handle your rotation (like Keg Smash staying on CD, just like RSK). With an added plus by weaving in free Tiger Palms without energy capping or having Keg Smash off cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, welcome to the world of tanking. It can be a stressful and high pressure job, but it can also be very rewarding. So having said that, let's go through your post shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Nympharia View Post
    So i've been raiding for a while now (2 years) and i've always enjoyed DPS'ing. I used to play ret pala but then i switched over to windwalker monk and i haven't regretted it since. But it has come to a point where my guild needs a back-up tank and since WW and BM use the same gear that would make me the number 1 candidate. Only problem here is: I've never tanked before in my life.
    This right here tells me you at least are familiar with the fights, which is a major portion of being a tank. However what you do as DPS can vary wildly from what a tank needs to do. So my advice is to talk to your guild tanks about what they do during a specific fight. They should be able to tell you the in's and outs of what you need to focus on. If for some reason they can't, go look up boss fights. Google "No life at 90 raid guides" for LFR guides. And then.... just do it. There really is no substitute for just learning by doing.

I dont even know the basics like: Where do you stand as an off tank,
    This is something your guild tanks can help you with, or raid guides.

how does threat work, when to use CD or when to taunt.
    Threat is what keeps a boss focused on a player. Who ever has the highest threat, the boss is going to be pounding on that person. As a tank it's your job to have the highest threat (or at least higher than any DPS or healers). As far as CD's and taunting goes. It varies from fight to fight. The more you learn the fight the eaiser it is to know when to use these.

Also when pulling a boss, schould i just taunt it our throw a barrel or put down ox statue.
    Generally, put down your ox statue first, and only put it down again if you get far away from it, otherwise just forget about it. Taunting + Keg smash will give you enough threat on the outset to hold him for most of the fight. Keep keg smash on cool down.

I've looked for a few video's and guides on BM tanking and it doesn't seem that difficult, but for me it is since i dont know anything about tanking.
    Tanking as a monk isn't "hard" but it's easy to do poorly. Read up on stagger, and check out the guides already mentioned in this thread.

Also is there alot of reforging i have to do from WW to BM? I believe BM needs more expertise.
    Not a ton. It depends on what stats you've prioritized, get your hit capped (7%) and expertise capped (15%) and then focus on one of your secondary stats. Each one offers a benefit and requires you to play slightly different. Just read up and mostly just get out there and do it!

Good luck!