Thread: AP classes

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

AP classes

Which ones have you guys done, if you're in high school? I'm rather curious .

10+ Year Old Account
    I did AP precalculus for grade 11.

That was probably a mistake. Fuck asymptotes and trig identites.

The only AP class I ever took was AP biology in the 12th grade.

AP Calc AB
    AP Calc BC

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I did AP precalculus for grade 11.

That was probably a mistake. Fuck asymptotes and trig identites.
    There's no AP precalculus. . .

I took like 8 AP classes and started college with enough credits to almost be a Sophmore, its absolutely worth it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I took like 8 AP classes and started college with enough credits to almost be a Sophmore, its absolutely worth it.
    Which ones?

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    The only AP class I ever took was AP biology in the 12th grade.
    Coincidentally, I'm taking it next year in the 12th grade! Did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Ditto, and I still took five years to finish college. Also totally worth it.

Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Spanish, English Lit, English Comp, US Government.

I actually just got back from grading an AP test.

Back when I was in HS I took a lot of AP classes, enough to (almost) start as a Sophomore (3 credits shy...). Wonder if I can recall them all..
    Calc (BC), Physics, Chemistry, English (Lit, Comp), US History, Psychology

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    Coincidentally, I'm taking it next year in the 12th grade! Did you like it?
    I loved the class myself. It was the only class I got an A in besides pe and some business technology class.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Back when I was in HS I took a lot of AP classes, enough to (almost) start as a Sophomore (3 credits shy...). Wonder if I can recall them all..
    Calc (BC), Physics, Chemistry, English (Lit, Comp), US History, Psychology
    Ouch~~ So you were almost exclusively in sophomore classes, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    Ouch~~ So you were almost exclusively in sophomore classes, I suppose?
    Pretty much. There were still the BS freshman classes that everyone in the program takes, but because of the classes I had credit for, I was able to jump right into "real" classes in addition, rather than futzing around with prereqs in non-program departments

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I went into Community College with AP Art History, English Language, English Literature, Psychology, US History, World History, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics C Mechanics.

I only had to take 1 general education class as a result, which made my first two years at CC smooth sailing. Seriously, it pays off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I took AP World History. It was torturous cause I'm so lazy and to top it off my college didn't even accept the credit. It was a waste of time, just like the rest of high school.

10+ Year Old Account
    I took 2 AP classes, AP Euro and AP Environment Science. I got kicked out of Euro because while I did great on the tests, I never did the homework so I failed and they dropped me. I never took the AP test for Environment Science because I came in halfway through the semester and I was lazy and foolish.

AP classes sure as fuck are worth it though, they're just as easy as normal classes (often easier) and you get to save money and time in college for taking easier classes. Sounds like a good deal to me.

That said, I think that AP classes are bullshit and should either be harder than normal classes (as in, they should be college difficulty) or they should remove it altogether, as it gives people advantages for taking a test that I seriously doubt is on the level of college classes.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

I took AP Physics back in 2002.

Let me tell you that AP courses don't prepare you for jack shit, and whatever college credits they claim you earn don't matriculate like you'd think. I think I got like... one credit... after busting my ass and getting a 4 on the exam.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's AP? Or is this a US only forum?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

AP classes are good and bad. They are good to get credit for college courses that are more or less filler classes that you can just avoid.

However, they are no substitute for real college classes and the environment. I would not take AP classes that you intend on being your future major. IE don't take AP chem if you plan to be a chem major or don't take AP bio if you plan to be a bio major. The reason for this is that colleges have a certain curriculum that they want to cover in a 4 year program and your AP class may not cover. If you start off in class 2 you could find yourself having to play catch up because your AP class didn't cover the same things as your college's version of class 1.

Really the best thing you could do is just graduate a year early and take community college courses which you are guaranteed to get credit even if you score a C. Or if you can't graduate early skip the AP classes altogether get out of HS earlier and take classes at your local CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    AP = Advanced Placement. They're basically college 101-level courses for kids who are really good in certain areas of academia while they're in high school.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    AP classes are good and bad. They are good to get credit for college courses that are more or less filler classes that you can just avoid.

However, they are no substitute for real college classes and the environment. I would not take AP classes that you intend on being your future major. IE don't take AP chem if you plan to be a chem major or don't take AP bio if you plan to be a bio major. The reason for this is that colleges have a certain curriculum that they want to cover in a 4 year program and your AP class may not cover. If you start off in class 2 you could find yourself having to play catch up because your AP class didn't cover the same things as your college's version of class 1.

Really the best thing you could do is just graduate a year early and take community college courses which you are guaranteed to get credit even if you score a C. Or if you can't graduate early skip the AP classes altogether get out of HS earlier and take classes at your local CC.

I would disagree entirely. Several reasons here:
    1. Taking AP classes will never be harmful. If you feel that the corresponding course at a college is more rigorous, you don't use your AP credit - it's as simple as that. In addition, the corresponding class in college would be extremely easy, as you'd have exposure to most of the material from high school!
    2. Community college courses are usually less rigorous than an AP, for obvious reasons. Namely, AP students have a much stronger background than the average CC student. Also, in an AP class you have the guidance and support of a high school environment, while in college you almost have to teach yourself, or so I've heard.

I hope to attend a top college for quantitative finance, and I'll definitely be using my AP credits, and I can always self-study the deficiencies

I'm sorry about that. AP (Advanced Placement) is a program that has been implemented almost universally in American high schools that enables students to take courses that have traditionally been taken in college (examples: calculus, calculus-based physics, etc.)