Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Going to heroic vizier to get a feel for raiding/warm up for normal ToT, that's hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    How does this get 20 pages long?
    Because other people have stories to share too :P

Also it is clearly ten pages, you people and your wacky-posts-per-page numbers!

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Back during WotLK, I was in a pretty hardcore yet friendly guild. We were working on Heroic LK 25 progression, and could usually get down to the last set of Valkys before someone would decide to herp derp and stand in defile, or run away from the group while inside Frostmourne. Anyway, one night we make it through the last Frostmourne phase with no issues and come out for the final phase. One of the healers stated before the raid started she was having issues with her latency due to a storm and her internet was going out a lot. The GM basically told her "too bad, you're raiding anyway". We all thought this was strange because the GM and specifically other raidleaders were always incredibly nice and understanding of issues. I even offered to heal instead of her and bring in another DPS, but the GM said no. So on the last defile after coming out of Frostmourne, she disconnects and is the target of defile. The whole floor is covered in defile, and the GM snaps. He beings cussing at her like I've never heard before, and basically tells her she is worthless, which I thought was funny because she had the most dispels and the most HPS than anyone else, even with a latency over 1,000. She begins to defend herself but the GM tells her to shut the fuck up, and that he was kicking her from the guild and raid. She begins to cry, and the asshole had the balls to make fun of her. Two of the raidleaders step in and tell him to drop his attitude and that it wasn't her fault. They get yelled at too. At that point everyone begins to log off the game and off vent. After that the GM turned over the guild to another member, and left.

As stated by others, people get too involved in the guild. Even if we had killed LK there, we weren't server first on heroic, though I do think we would of been 2nd or 3rd.

I can't recall a time when my raid leader made someone cry. I did make my raid leader cry once.

Back during TBC, we were in the middle of a routine Gruul's Lair run when my son suddenly and violently came down with food poisoning. I left my keyboard and immediately went to go check on him. It was so bad that we had to take him too the hospital. My wife (girlfriend at the time) opted to stay with him since I had to be at work fairly early the next morning.

So, I got home, and figured I had a few minutes to kill. I hopped on Vent to explain myself, but my raid leader wouldn't have it. She went off on me, calling me out on my apparently fucked up priorities, insulting both my girlfriend and my son, etc.

I lost it. There is a period of nearly two minutes that I cannot remember. According to those who were there, I screamed at the top of my lungs and threw out every creative insult in the book - and a few no one had thought of - without pause for one-hundred and twenty seconds. She started crying about fifteen seconds in, and left at the thirty second mark. I spent the rest of that time yelling at no one. When I was done, I logged out and went to bed, and spent the next week avoiding WoW.

The next time I got on, I found out that the raid leader had left the guild. She tried to whisper me in game, but I ignored her.

The moral of this story? Don't expect me to place WoW above my family, and don't get pissy when I abruptly leave because of an IRL crisis.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont raid for this very reason. People getting so worked up when a group fails sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I can't recall a time when my raid leader made someone cry. I did make my raid leader cry once.

Back during TBC, we were in the middle of a routine Gruul's Lair run when my son suddenly and violently came down with food poisoning. I left my keyboard and immediately went to go check on him. It was so bad that we had to take him too the hospital. My wife (girlfriend at the time) opted to stay with him since I had to be at work fairly early the next morning.

So, I got home, and figured I had a few minutes to kill. I hopped on Vent to explain myself, but my raid leader wouldn't have it. She went off on me, calling me out on my apparently fucked up priorities, insulting both my girlfriend and my son, etc.

I lost it. There is a period of nearly two minutes that I cannot remember. According to those who were there, I screamed at the top of my lungs and threw out every creative insult in the book - and a few no one had thought of - without pause for one-hundred and twenty seconds. She started crying about fifteen seconds in, and left at the thirty second mark. I spent the rest of that time yelling at no one. When I was done, I logged out and went to bed, and spent the next week avoiding WoW.

The next time I got on, I found out that the raid leader had left the guild. She tried to whisper me in game, but I ignored her.

The moral of this story? Don't expect me to place WoW above my family, and don't get pissy when I abruptly leave because of an IRL crisis.
    You're a good man. I'd of done the exact same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post

It's really sad that some players expect people to put a game above real-life emergencies.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    If you're wasting the time of everyone else by wiping to simple mechanics then yes, you're going to get told off. Be it varying degrees of anger from different strokes of people, not a single one will pat you on the back and try to sympathise with you because that's not solving the issue.

Thats face it you have DBM flashing in your face telling you what direction to run, you have it also spamming an arrow on your screen telling you what direction and the fact people can still fail it with such handholding is beyond me at any skill level when all you have to do is stop tunnelling for afew seconds to move.

Also being so over-sensitive on the internet of all things is only going to cause you grief in the long run because the majority of the internet is full of twats, simple as.

Also I think its laughable that people support the GM's decision to kick the raid leader because he insulted his other half, this is the reason why couples are hugely frowned upon. A guy is taking his time to fully organized 9/24 other people, which is no easy task within itself and is for the most part a thankless job - But yeah, kick him because you're annoyed over someone close to you getting told off for being a less than stellar player. - But to counterargue my own point this raidleader in question was a fucking moron for taking them to one of the harder bosses during when it was current to practice for what is, a bunch of pretty easy flow normal bosses.

And to the people constantly spouting nonsense like "This is why I avoid raiding people are so mean!!!1!!" I doubt anyone would WANT you in there guild because you'd be such a over-sensitive baby, despite enjoying the company of most of my guildmates thoroughly I was told upon joining that if I fucked up, people will most likely get annoyed, and there fully within there right to. Thats not to say their going off there nut screaming like some prat, you come across people like that once in a blue moon.

Heroic vizier was never meant to be 1 shot...the attenuation mechanic is much harder in heroic than regular

Sometimes you have to get a little loud with your raid and call them on there shit
    but it was only 4 attempts that time...

Hardcore progression is for the champions that want to win

Riggnaros for example and troxed from war ensemble are great raid leaders who raged but still got stuff done

Watch video at 3 minutes in

Last edited by TheNationGamer; 2013-07-05 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearsyn View Post
    ...And what happens when you play Mr. Nice Guy Raid Leader the first, second, or even third time someone makes the same mistake. Are you going to keep that smile on your face when 9 or 24 other people are dealing with the same mechanic and only 1 person keeps messing it up repeatedly causing your group to run back over and over?

I'm not saying a raid leader should be cussing, to each their own, but it should be their raid, and their standards for excellence. If you can't live up to those standards you should be prepared to get talked to.

You don't go to a new job and go through orientation or training, and then mess something up so that everyone else has to clean up your work. You do that enough IRL and you get fired or constantly reprimanded. Don't pretend that just because you're killing internet dragons that the way people feel about standards changes.
    You can be stern without resorting to insulting/cussing somebody out, that was my point. You don't have to be all "Well could you please maybe please not try to please stand in that fire, maybe please okay?" but if you find you are being rude with someone that is supposed to be a friend enjoying a game with you, then I'd say that YOU are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    No.. when my raid leader would get mad and he would walk away from his computer and play random Disney songs over the mic and then come back like 5 mins later and say .. "OK NOW WE ARE GOING TO DO IT BETTER." I'd imagine he was yelling and throwing things around his house.

Aladdin sound track and Lion King were particular favorites.
    ^ this would seriously be me.

I've only ever heard one person flat out scream at everyone in vent: some 25m pug in Nax. A PUG- for crying out loud.

Needless to say, just about everyone dropped from that group.

Deleted
    I have done.

It was at that point where I stopped raid leading.

I'm good at organising things, the whole administrative side of stuff. Because I organised raids before-hand, recruited and interviewed raiders and kept tabs on everything I was the de facto raid leader.

However, I've never been good at leading people. I only found this out 2 expansions after I took up the title because until then, everyone I played with -

A - Knew their class/role very well and were able to put it into practice.
    B - Were very self critical, they'd sort themselves out if they were screwing up.
    C - Were very friendly. There'd never be any name-calling, finger-pointing or general disruptions for me to sort out.

There was essentially no need for a raid-leader. Just someone to organise things and help keep the guild running outside of raids.

After much of our group dissolved and we recruited more I found I was having to break up spits more often. I was having to criticise players fairly regularly and even get a tad angry to assert myself as the groups leader so that people would listen to me.

Now, some of you may be thinking "Yeah, that's just what a raid leader does" but due to my circumstances, I had never had to do it before in a large degree.

When I really did, I just couldn't handle it.

One of our DPS was repeatedly pulling aggro on a fight and when I asked him to keep an eye on his threat meters he replied with "Sorry, I just wanted to hit some good DPS numbers at the start, I'll sort it out" at which point I flipped out after hearing "I just wanted to hit some good DPS numbers" and (I don't know if I made him cry) made him very upset. He didn't want to raid with our group because of me.

I felt genuinely bad. I had raged at a guy who had admitted his own fault and was actively trying to better himself.

In fact, I felt terrible after I had calmed down and realised what I was doing.

At that point I realised I wasn't helping anyone, I was only ruining the experience for people so I took a backseat role and let others take over.

Eventually I left the guild as we didn't really have anyone qualified to properly lead and raids just sort of fizzled out, but regardless -

Yes I have upset someone as a raid leader. It's not my proudest moment and it made me realise I'm not cut out for raid leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    Its pretty normal ive heard so many people crying on vent or people going emo after getting roped by the GM or RL even as officer i made some people cry sometimes in hardcore raiding scene mistakes are being noticed right away and when that mistake continues you can expect full frontal attacks.
    Which means you should never, ever be put in charge of people.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    So last night me and my guild are prepping to do some normal ToT, but first we voted we should do a heroic HoF first to "get a feel" of raiding because it's the first time we all raided together. So we get to Imperial Vizier Zor'lok and people are dying to attenuation. I don't know if it was a lack of healer or just badness.

So after the 4th wipe on heroic, he just goes berserk on the healers, which are mostly females, calling them names etc. And then we hear someone crying and its a girl. Anyways someone comes on vent and cusses our raid leader out and kicked him out the guild. It was the GM and the girl was his fiancee nd they were engaged. So personal story out the way, has your raid leader ever made someone cry?

"Our" sorry can't change title

Your raid leader is a bad person. Sure, people messed up, but it's heroic and not everyone can perform at that level. If people will not listen to normal commands, they will definetly not listen when you yell at them either.

That said, one should never take these things so seriously that you get this emotionally involved with the game to the point where someone can make you cry.

I've done a lot of raiding, and I've been through tons of fights and arguments. It's also the reason I don't raid anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have found raid groups will generally be forgiving a raid leader that is an ass, if he/she knows the classes and boss strat very well. That said, even that lasts only so long before the stress of both the encounter and the yelling get to people.

I work with a guild that's pretty chill. My only constructive criticism of the group, is more need to speak up when they screw up so we can fix it and move on. but....I would guess that comes from years of being bit at when speaking up.

Reading these posts, I would be curious how many quit not due to the dynamics of the boss, or the cycle of progression each tier, but how they were treated in guild raiding.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

10+ Year Old Account
    As a raid leader/coleader/captain over the years, I've only ever made one person cry but unfortunately it was on multiple occasions. She had a lot of performance issues and every time I had to deliver criticism or ask her to do something (like gem a piece of armor), there would be tears. There was no yelling or screaming on my part (if anything, I probably sugarcoated out of fear of the meltdown) and my critiques were always in private rather than in front of the raid. I think the fact I even spent months and months trying to help her shows that, if anything, I am too nice, and she was just way too sensitive. She also told her boyfriend once that she was "terrified" of me.

The absolute worst was when we finally benched her after months and months of ongoing problems. I had already filled her spot her with a more reliable player when she showed up a half an hour late looking for her invite. When told we'd filled the spot already, she stayed on vent ("in case we needed her later") and cried with her PTT while we raided. I think we were all too uncomfortable to boot her from channel when she was already so upset so we just pretended like the game had a new sobbingwoman soundtrack.

I feel a little guilty even posting this in public but man it was fuckin' weird and uncomfortable.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Attenuation on nerfed Heroic hits like a wet noodle now. Last week I pugged H HoF I forgot how to do the dance and just popped some coolies through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexighar View Post
    I dont raid for this very reason. People getting so worked up when a group fails sucks.
    Again, not all raid teams are like this, actually they are few and far between.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having been in the leader position in the work place for several years. Yelling, is not how to boost productivity, the way to do that is to be blunt, honest, and earn the respect of those you are leading. Yelling might get you short-term gains, but in the end, people will hate you and only try when you are watching. The whole, rule through fear thing. It doesn't work in the long term
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Simple: Find a guild not run by a couple, and just a group of people who like to raid to avoid all this drama. Heres some examples of experience: I was in a guild which was run by a couple (raiding tho), the other raiders liked when I raided with them, the couple not so much. Once the couple broke up I was allowed to raid whenever I wanted. Now with the guild my guild formed from a result of a big guild (was best on the server) as a result of drama so the guys who I now raid know what drama can do to people.