1. #1

    Some questions about Destro and Aff

    Pardon me if I'm breaking any of the forum rules, but I am pretty desperate to figure out what I'm doing wrong and posting in the Fix My DPS thread didn't seem to be getting any answers, so I'm copying my post over (with some updates):

    I previously got fantastic advice from the community here and now I'm turning to you guys for help again. I've been playing Affliction and Destro (not Demo at the moment as I don't have UVLS yet) and it feels like I'm doing spectacularly bad DPS compared to the rest of the raid. Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yldia/advanced

    And here are some of the logs from last week:

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/

    And logs from this week:

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/

    I was previously sitting at 13784 haste with H Light of the Cosmos as Aff, but have since dropped down to approximately the 9778 haste breakpoint and put the rest into mastery. Unfortunately, for last night's raid, I didn't notice much of a DPS difference, even as Destro on Horridon, so I really must be doing something wrong. I also understand that for GoSup Destro, the ideal stat to stack is haste, but I've also read that guides that say the DPS loss is far less noticeable when stacking mastery over haste compared to stacking haste over mastery in single target vs AoE situations.

    As for the logs, last week I completely screwed up on Durumu and died to Force of Will, so please don't look at that boss lol >_> And for Twins, I died about midway through the last phase (with Lulin at 20% and Suen at about 8%-ish) because of bad positioning for barrage.

    All those horribad personal mistakes aside, I find myself trying to figure out where exactly I'm going wrong. In particular, I find myself struggling to do competitive DPS on Jinrokh Meg, Dark Animus, Iron Qon and Twins (wow, that's a lot of bosses >_>). On Horridon I guess my performance is somewhat decent, though I feel like I could really be doing better. But in general, I just find that I'm not putting out good DPS, especially when it comes to single target fights.

    DPS help aside, I also have some questions:

    1. For Aff - should I be refreshing my dots with SB:SS every time the legendary metagem procs? Regardless of the stats that my dots snapshotted previously? To my understanding, the proc is worth 12750 haste (30 x 425), which puts it lower than the H BoTH proc (8919 int).

    2. Is it true that with unglyphed Soul Swap, you can basically roll a max buffed Agony (Legendary meta + BoTH + Volatile + Jade Spirit + Lightweave + DS + Pot) from the start to the end of the fight as long as there's more than 1 target?

    3. For Destro - What should my uptime on RoF be on single target fights? I've read some posts saying that it should be close to 100%, but I find that trying to keep it up that much usually brings me to the point of being OOM and unable to cast incinerate for 1-2 seconds.

    4. For Destro on Horridon - is GoSac or GoSup better? As GoSac what I've found is that I generally do good DPS during the adds phase due to Shadowburn spam/Havoc cleaving, and I have no issues with pushing the Direhorn Spirit away with MF incinerate, but once I get to the last phase, I spend a lot of time pushing the damned spirit away and my DPS drops.

    5. How much better is Demo with UVLS compared to Aff and Destro without it? It seems that on most fights the Demo locks with UVLS are leagues ahead of me and it's been very frustrating to see


    Sorry for the lengthy post and posting outside of the Fix My DPS thread, but as mentioned I'm pretty desperate to find out what's wrong with my DPS and I would love some input from the warlock community to help me pinpoint what I should be doing. Thanks

  2. #2
    Bumping this up

  3. #3
    1. i would suggest you get the addon affdots, it will help you keep track of when it is most beneficial to recast your dots and it wont always be beneficial to recast your dots with metagem, sometimes you'll have more powerful dots up, especially if you're a troll with zerging and the VP trinket.

    2. it is, dont think its been fully fixed but they tried atleast, if my info is correct, you can roll fully buffed agony with all possible buffs, and your corr and UA with any and all haste buffs, im not too sure about corr and UA part tho.

    3. RoF should be up very close to 100%, and when you go oom you should have generated enough burning embers for you to cast a chaos bolt or 2.

    4. from what ive read, gosac is best but im not entirely sure, as i havent played destro much on horridon, prefering affliction.

    5. demo with UVLS is quite frankly better if you know what you're doing. ive done a few sims and found myself to be around 6-8k dps ahead of afflic in the same gear but this is entirely on single target dps and the apl for demo isnt that good for simcraft apparently.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    2. it is, dont think its been fully fixed but they tried atleast, if my info is correct, you can roll fully buffed agony with all possible buffs, and your corr and UA with any and all haste buffs, im not too sure about corr and UA part tho.
    It's not possible anymore.

    “The only thing that burns in hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life: your memories, your attachments. They burn 'em all away. But they're not punishing you,' he said. 'They're freeing your soul. Relax.”

  5. #5
    dont think they have fully fixed it yet from what ive read, but im prolly wrong, since ive never tested it myself.

  6. #6
    Agony will keep everything, the int , the 100% crit if you have it , the haste and so on. the other 2 dots will keep atleast their haste and maybe the int but not the 100% crit. its really good on bosses like mageara to keep the dots all the way.

  7. #7
    UA and Corruption only retain haste. It isn't worth it trying to roll the UA forever since its such a short dot, but rolling the hasted corruption (especially as a troll) is worth it for the extra shards on Meg.

    However affliction is the worst spec for heroic Meg so kind of a moot point.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    1. i would suggest you get the addon affdots, it will help you keep track of when it is most beneficial to recast your dots and it wont always be beneficial to recast your dots with metagem, sometimes you'll have more powerful dots up, especially if you're a troll with zerging and the VP trinket.

    2. it is, dont think its been fully fixed but they tried atleast, if my info is correct, you can roll fully buffed agony with all possible buffs, and your corr and UA with any and all haste buffs, im not too sure about corr and UA part tho.

    3. RoF should be up very close to 100%, and when you go oom you should have generated enough burning embers for you to cast a chaos bolt or 2.

    4. from what ive read, gosac is best but im not entirely sure, as i havent played destro much on horridon, prefering affliction.

    5. demo with UVLS is quite frankly better if you know what you're doing. ive done a few sims and found myself to be around 6-8k dps ahead of afflic in the same gear but this is entirely on single target dps and the apl for demo isnt that good for simcraft apparently.
    Thanks for the reply! I've picked up affdots - one thing I'd like to confirm: the numbers displayed are the relative strength of your current stats compared to the ones that your dots are currently rolling, right? i.e. 77 = weaker than the current dot strength, 130 = stronger?

    I tested out keeping RoF up as much as possible on Durumu last night, was managing to keep it up around 90%-ish. You're right about the ember generation, I can't believe I never noticed that before lol

    How do you play affliction on Horridon? I've tried it out but it doesn't feel as strong as Destro even with dots rolling on as many adds as possible and DSing those that are about to die.

    And that sucks to hear about Demo with UVLS - I guess I gotta hope that it drops for me this week!


    Quote Originally Posted by Drenaco View Post
    Agony will keep everything, the int , the 100% crit if you have it , the haste and so on. the other 2 dots will keep atleast their haste and maybe the int but not the 100% crit. its really good on bosses like mageara to keep the dots all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoragar View Post
    UA and Corruption only retain haste. It isn't worth it trying to roll the UA forever since its such a short dot, but rolling the hasted corruption (especially as a troll) is worth it for the extra shards on Meg.

    However affliction is the worst spec for heroic Meg so kind of a moot point.
    Thanks for the clarification! I'll try it out next week on Council and Meg if I can keep track of the dots Just to check though, is Destro a lot better on Meg than Aff? I've tried both and Destro (for me) seems a tad lower on DPS because the adds get completely wrecked by warriors, ferals and demo locks before I get much of a chance to do anything.

    Thanks again everyone for the replies, very much appreciated

  9. #9
    Dreadlord dawawe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atl, Ga
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosteps View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I've picked up affdots - one thing I'd like to confirm: the numbers displayed are the relative strength of your current stats compared to the ones that your dots are currently rolling, right? i.e. 77 = weaker than the current dot strength, 130 = stronger?

    I tested out keeping RoF up as much as possible on Durumu last night, was managing to keep it up around 90%-ish. You're right about the ember generation, I can't believe I never noticed that before lol

    How do you play affliction on Horridon? I've tried it out but it doesn't feel as strong as Destro even with dots rolling on as many adds as possible and DSing those that are about to die.

    And that sucks to hear about Demo with UVLS - I guess I gotta hope that it drops for me this week!






    Thanks for the clarification! I'll try it out next week on Council and Meg if I can keep track of the dots Just to check though, is Destro a lot better on Meg than Aff? I've tried both and Destro (for me) seems a tad lower on DPS because the adds get completely wrecked by warriors, ferals and demo locks before I get much of a chance to do anything.

    Thanks again everyone for the replies, very much appreciated

    yes its relative to the dot currently applied not its base

    and for the SB:SS on the meta proc i would use FF to refresh Corr/UA stats instead until it lines up with Agony then SB:SS near the end of the meta proc or if u get more procs to line up. otherwise you would be SB:SS 2-3 times for the one proc losing a little bit of dot ticks
    Why read words when we can kill stuff the words tell us about?
    You have dreamed of death, you thought to escape it. Now, my little puppet, death is all you will ever know.
    NO ITEMS EEEVVVEEERRR!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •