Poll: What was the greatest 5-man Era?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Anything before LFD.
    I can only agree that LFD have made the 5man dungeon experience worse.

Shado-Pan Monastery is my favorite dungeon of all time. That place could reward 300 valor per run and I'd still leave instantly.

Deleted
    Played since vanilla but I never did one hc in TBC.

I did like the Cata launch heroics but for era for five mans I still go with BC. I dont really see a purpose of an option for a whole expansion and last dungeons of an expansion. MGT was a lot of fun as well and fits with the rest of the dungeons despite coming out later.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Subjective opinions. I hated the entire BC story line and graphics. Thought it was dull and boring, thus making the dungeons dull and boring aswell. Not everyone liked the things you liked and not everyone hated the things you hated. Simple as that.
    Purely basing your opinion on the aesthetics of the heroics is about as stupid and claiming TBC should be the unanimous winner.

Even though it will be because they were the best heroic model.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

vanilla, they were a challenge and interesting, now it's so linear it's dull.

Did this guy leave out Vanilla 5 man's? Those were some of the best, but between the choices given, BC heroics were better than the 5 mans of all the other expansions combined. These days 5 mans are a joke, but back then, people actually had fun doing them.

tough call.... BC dungeons were epic, but they were also long and frustrating and if you got losers in your group you were gonna have a bad time and it took forever to put them together.... I'm going to have to go with WotLK before dungeon finder for overall best time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I think that ZA/ZG was the best 5 man dungeons made, however there was only 2 dungeons so would not call it the best era.
    Wut? Are you high or something

LK heroics were the most kickass heroics of all time. yes they were easy.. but they were hilarious. the only gay one was halls of stone cause of the bullshit required gauntlet. but the rest of the dungeons were great. i dont even mind the argent crusade 5man. but the spider dungeons, the nexus, the occulus, UK, UP, Drak tharon keep, Halls of lightning, and the ICC 5mans were amazing. The heroics were fun because they didnt take a lot of time, they were slightly challenging but still do-able even with a retarded group. and they got the job done.

I also enjoyed the challenge of ZG/ ZA remakes.. the dungeons were really fun and I loved tanking them and doing bear runs.
    if u want something challenging, try a normal or heroic raid.. as for a 5man.. its called a 5man for a reason.. its not spose to require much skill assembling only 4 other people in order to complete it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Burning Crusade without question. If you could clear all of the heroics in BC pre raid gear you were honestly legit. MgT MADE raiders out of scrubs. The dungeons were long by merit of their difficulty, but all of them tested your skills as a player and utilized all of the class' abilities.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

I voted BC heroics primarily and honestly because i played the game at the time with a group of really good friends. Granted the heroics were indeed for the most part a higher difficulty level than most that have followed >shadow lab< >AC< /shudder but i also thoroughly enjoyed the clear progression you had laid out for you in bc. Granted attunements blew monkey nuts and was a rejoiced thing when removed. BC had the best balance between difficulty and grindiness imo. Blizz cant win for trying with the majority of its fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Burning Crusade without question. If you could clear all of the heroics in BC pre raid gear you were honestly legit. MgT MADE raiders out of scrubs. The dungeons were long by merit of their difficulty, but all of them tested your skills as a player and utilized all of the class' abilities.
    Oh yea so true , i remember 3 guys applied to us during Sunwell progress , they didn't have that good gear but they said they would work at it and ofc they are pro etc..., in the meantime we wanted to test them so we took them to MgT and told them they make the tactics and we follow them to see how they perform. Suffice to say it turned out they we're a bunch of idiots , but we did have a good laugh the entire run , yea those dungeons really taught people how to play ... good old days

Vanilla > Tbc > early cata > wotlk > late cata >>>>>>> mop

Don't get why OP wouldn't include vanilla, it was by far the best time for 5 man's. Or well, i guess some of them were 10 man/done as 10 man before they got changed, but they could easily be done with 5 man with a good group.

Tbc was pretty close, especially when it came to heroics, as they were quite challenging, and a lot of fun as like Vanilla, they lasted much longer than just the first week or so(or days in mop's case) at launch.

Cata was close to Tbc in the start, which made doing the glory of the hero achievement really fun. Unfortunately it turned to shit when it got nerfed, and the dungeons with dragon soul were incredibly bad.

Wotlk was the start of crappy faceroll heroics, but at least a fair few of them were decent instances, and there was a lot of them, which puts it ahead of the horrible Pandaria heroics.

Deleted
    Where is the option for Vanilla dungeons?

Vanilla, had the longest and most detailed dungeons, and although not especially challenging they were great for true RPG fans. There were also plenty of players to group with, so finding a group didn't take too long.

TBC dungeons started the 'welfare' epics from dungeon bosses trend and were either faceroll easy if you had a couple of mages and a rogue, or challenging bordering on impossible if you didn't. They had the least interesting lore and their greatest challenge was actually getting a group together to start with.

Wotlk dungeons had the best lore, but were tuned for random groups and as such left the vocal minority of more highly skilled players feeling a lack of challenge. They were easily the most popular style of dungeons though.

Cataclysm dungeons were a disaster. Designed to be more like the TBC dungeons that required coordinated crowd control, but coupled with random groups that lacked coordination by default. So, like in TBC if you had 3 dps with crowd control the dungeons were faceroll easy, if you had a guild group but with limited crowd control available the dungeons were moderately challenging, and if you were in a random group that didn't have or wouldn't use crowd control you were fucked. The final Cata dungeons went back to the Wotlk style of difficulty but with TBC 'Magisters Terrace' levels of welfare epics and as such proved more popular with the wider playerbase.

Mop dungeons are too short, too easy, and offer almost no character progression that can't be obtained more efficiently elsewhere. They do have some interesting lore behind them however. Sadly there isn't much point in running them, even for fresh level 90 characters.

Personally I prefer the dungeons in vanilla wow, partly for the immersive sense of adventure they provided and partly because the playerbase at the time were mostly traditional rpg types as opposed to the ever growing mix of abusive elitists, 'go,go,GO' rushers and silent people that have been present since TBC.

BC>>>>>>CLASSIC>>>>>>>>CATA(Launch)>>>>>>>>WOTLK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CAT A(after WOW Fourm QQ)>>>>>>>MOP.

should have taken Classic off since i didn't play back then, but i did most of these dungeons while lvling to 70
    Last edited by Elian; 2013-06-29 at 08:27 AM.

in terms of challenge and that sense of achievement? TBC.

in terms of atmosphere, fun, and variety? WotLK.

i do miss 'hard' heroics sometimes, but over all, i think i had more fun in WotLK at launch. things weren't quite faceroll yet, and if you were going for the meta, there were som interesting, fun, and challenging achieves that stood in your way. The achieve i'm most proud of in all of WoW is my Glory of the Hero-- and no, i'm not a crappy player that doesn't have any other 'prestigious' achieves, or some noob that likes easy content. I completed my dungeon hero achieve back in the very beginning of Wrath with a mix of ICC10/25 normal epix. the date of my achieve: 11/20/2008. Why is this important? because it was before a number of nerfs that made several achieves easier-- specifically "Gotta Go!"

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=1860#comments

"Gotta Go!" was changed from 2 minutes to 4 minutes on 1/20/2009. The amount of control, DPS, and luck needed for the 2 minute achieve was crazy. I healed it as a boomkin, and we had a blood DK (was DPS spec back then), tank it.

TBC has been my favorite xpac since its release, but i mostly enjoyed it for my raid experience. I think it's safe to say that i enjoyed LK's heroics more.

Deleted
    TBC Magister and Icecrown Heroics was epic!

Vanilla had the best 5mans hands down imo. I was lucky to be on a heavy populated server and had lots of friends aswell so getting a group was never hard. The dungeons werent hard really (well compared to lately they were harder) but they were fun and enjoyable and needed some coordination and a little knowledge. If you had a group of 4 friends with you, you could easily run dungeons all night, thats how fun it was and they took a little while to finish aswell while being somewhat challenging, and I am and always have been a PvPer who otherwise dont enjoy PvE that much may I add. I played 2H fury warrior with the unstoppable force back then and had no problems competing with other classes in dps and PvP

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok my question is are the Cata Heriocs the one before or after the nerf?.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.