Page 1 of 43
... LastLast

Texan teen faces 8 years in prison for sarcastic facebook post.

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3512025.html

Comment was definitely tasteless, but man, to have your entire life ruined over a sarcastic comment is uh...well...scary. Makes me not want to talk or even post on forums. I definitely would never even joke about what he joked about, but it's just kind of crazy to think that joking around on Facebook could lead to prison time.

MOD EDIT: Before posting, know this: Making threats, whether false or not, isn't ok

EDIT: http://www.change.org/petitions/rele...cebook-comment
    Last edited by Virtua; 2013-07-08 at 11:49 PM.

Most idiotic thing I have ever seen someone jailed over for.

what happened to this country...

If this kid actually goes to jail, I wouldn't be surprised to see multitudes of other people being arrested and "prosecuted" for saying things in their past on things like Reddit/Imgur/Facebook/etc.

1984 inc
    Last edited by TheGravemind; 2013-06-28 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Most idiotic thing I have ever seen someone jailed over for.

what happened to this country...
    From what I understand, this is basically limited to Texas. No federal law enforcement agencies were involved in this case. That's just what I've heard.

Texas is scary. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to live there for more reasons than those associated with this topic. And this is coming from a pretty conservative fellow.

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    The kid, is a fool. But jailing him for that long? Yeah that's dumb to. What is going on over in Texas? I mean...WHAT GOES ON THERE
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

Stupid comment.
    He does deserve a slap over the hand, to show it's not okay. Specially when you're retarded enough to leave you FB open for everybody to see. Internet is big and will always have people that don't see the comments made, the way you want to.

8 years sounds like a judge going for getting re-elected :P
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

oh my

what are you doing texas? lolz

Seriously though, it seems like the authorities in this case need to understand the concept of context

What the...
    If he seriously gets sentenced for that I'm gonna move to a different planet or something.

I understand why the police reacted to the comment but putting him in jail for it when it was clearly just a joke is just stupid <_<

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    From what I understand, this is basically limited to Texas. No federal law enforcement agencies were involved in this case. That's just what I've heard.

Texas is scary. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to live there for more reasons than those associated with this topic. And this is coming from a pretty conservative fellow.
    Bwahahaha what? Yeah I'm sure Chicago or Detroit is WAAAYYYY better. Or even California with the most pants on head retarded court system in existence. I mean I'm not advocating Texas, but cmon, this would of happened in any state, probably more so in a liberal state with a threat against a school.
    -You are now breathing manually-

Land of the free....
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    From what I understand, this is basically limited to Texas. No federal law enforcement agencies were involved in this case. That's just what I've heard
    But but but.... Obama!

Regardless... the kid was obviously joking. 8 years is exceedingly harsh, but do recall that not all speech is "protected." A classic example would be yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. I don't believe that then saying "just kidding" would free you from any further punishment.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Thank f**king god I don't live in a crazy country (no offense) this is utterly mind blowing, yes slap on the wrist to show that he was in the wrong but jail time?!

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    Thank f**king god I don't live in a crazy country (no offense) this is utterly mind blowing, yes slap on the wrist to show that he was in the wrong but jail time?!
    Joking about shooting up a school(Even if it was a joke) is not something to joke about. Both sides were idiots and for the record. I'm sure EU has some crazy stories hidden in the dirt.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

I've often felt people should be able to be held accountable for the complete garbage they write while hiding behind a keyboard... especially insulting and threatening language. But trust Texas to take it too far.

The kid is (imo) an insensitive tool for what he wrote, joking about killing kids is pretty sick. But it doesn't warrant 8 years in prison. Just being arrested, and "background" checked should have been enough to make him (and most keyboard warriors) piss their pants. Course if he then did go shoot up a school, then this thread would be about the incompetent police who failed to lock him away.

Anyway, my 2c? Guys an idiot, bout time people were held accountable for online threats, trust Murica (Texas) to throw the book at someone who probably didn't deserve it while ignoring all those who did.

Scare the kid with a day in jail or community service. Sure, show him that saying shit like that, even jokingly, has to be taken seriously but we don't need to be putting non-criminals into prison.

It's ridiculous how litigious our country has become.

Why he has been in Jail for almost half a year without trial is what concerns me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Bwahahaha what? Yeah I'm sure Chicago or Detroit is WAAAYYYY better. Or even California with the most pants on head retarded court system in existence. I mean I'm not advocating Texas, but cmon, this would of happened in any state, probably more so in a liberal state with a threat against a school.
    Couldn't pay me a million dollars to live in Chicago, Detroit or California either. ;p

I'm pretty happy with my state. Not perfect, but I like to think that we collectively have common sense.

I don't really have a problem with what he said, but jailing someone over something on facebook that's *obviously* a joke is stupid. Even without the jk and lol there, the part about eating their hearts should have shown he wasn't in any way serious. Texas has failed at being smart, yet again.

Personally Threats are never a goo thing to joke about. I mean they were a bunch of "jokes" that were passed of as that a joke but suddenly came true. I don't think he needs to be in jail for that amount at all. If anything I think he needs like 5 months of community service not 8 years of prison.

I really can't bring myself to feel any sympathy for anyone stupid enough to make that as a Facebook post regardless of surrounding posts context. He will likely be exonerated, and hopefully having to go through the trial will teach him to not be a moron (despite likely being a waste of taxpayers' dollars).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But but but.... Obama!

Regardless... the kid was obviously joking, . 8 years is harsh, but do recall that not all speech is "protected." A classic example would be yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. I don't believe that then saying "just kidding" would free you from any further punishment.
    And it's still just as silly. 8 years isn't just harsh - it's completely unwarranted. 6 months would be harsh. Hell, 2 weeks would be harsh