Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Investigate for validness and in case of sarcasm slap on hand with maybe some community service to get some constructive things out of the situation. Prison is way overboard. Does Texas have private prisons?

half of the US is stupid, i dont even need to say why.

Infracted (nationbashing)
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2013-06-28 at 06:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovansjo View Post
    That answer was just... Did you even try to answer his question?

If you'd ask me what I prefer, vanilla or chocolate, can I answer "Yes!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But but but.... Obama!

Regardless... the kid was obviously joking. 8 years is exceedingly harsh, but do recall that not all speech is "protected." A classic example would be yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. I don't believe that then saying "just kidding" would free you from any further punishment.
    I think a bit more highly of humans than to think someone yelling out a word overrides their perception of reality enough to evoke primitive urges for self-preservation at the cost of others.

Warchief
    That's kind of hilarious. Obviously they took it too far, but that kid is an absolute fucking moron.

I doubt that's gonna stop the shootings, It'll just keep the law enforcement busy prosecuting the wrong persons while the real perpetrators scheme their move.

Tribunal hard at work I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Joking about shooting up a school(Even if it was a joke) is not something to joke about. Both sides were idiots and for the record. I'm sure EU has some crazy stories hidden in the dirt.
    I wasn't making a joke (sorry didn't completely read it), I was just stating that it was mind boggling. I should of read the whole thing but no I wasn't trying to make a joke, I apologize.

What if he made the post and no one reported it or the cops didn't take it serious. Then 3 months from now he goes into a school and shoots up a few classrooms. Everyone would be up in arms about not stopping/catching him earlier since he made the proclamation earlier. Don't say stupid/threatening things on the internet in this day and age for everyone to see.

Please people, keep it clean (No Texas/America bashing)

While I think it is really really stupid of the guy to post such a thing on facebook and I agree that the police was called, I don't like that he can get 8 years of prison because of a joke. A minor imprisonment before the investigation would be good enough a scare to make sure he doesn't post these kind of things again.
    Lord protector of the Veal

Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)
    Friendsafari: Magneton, Forretress, Bronzong

This is beyond ridiculous. In Finland you won't get that long a sentence even if you kill someone. Not to mention what people get for rape - in which case the sentence is a few months tops. (Not saying I agree with the Finnish law system.)

I sure hope the kid is exonerated. Imo he should be entitled to some compensation for the time he has already spent in jail. A stupid joke shouldn't be enough to put anyone in jail.
    Last edited by Eace; 2013-06-28 at 06:15 AM.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

This kid's an idiot for posting, but the consequences don't really seem to match up with the crime imo. People are all paranoid these days...If more online hyperbole like this were taken seriously, 85% of all competitive raiders, SC2 pros and LoL pros would be in jail with him. You're going to give a kid 8 years in jail over some empty, sarcastic words he typed on the internet?

Texas...buddy...you need to stop and take a look at what you're doing! Don't listen to use Canadians anymore, we don't know anything about anything. Leave us to our poutine & bad TV.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2013-06-28 at 06:14 AM.
    "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything."

"It shall be engraved upon your very soul; Nibelung Valesti!"
    Old Warrior - New Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    What if he made the post and no one reported it or the cops didn't take it serious. Then 3 months from now he goes into a school and shoots up a few classrooms. Everyone would be up in arms about not stopping/catching him earlier since he made the proclamation earlier. Don't say stupid/threatening things on the internet in this day and age for everyone to see.
    Partially, it makes me wonder what some woman in Canada was doing browsing the pages of teenage facebookers in Texas? And if they searched her records, how many calls would they find she has made all over to authorities over various "unfunny" posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I really can't bring myself to feel any sympathy for anyone stupid enough to make that as a Facebook post regardless of surrounding posts context. He will likely be exonerated, and hopefully having to go through the trial will teach him to not be a moron (despite likely being a waste of taxpayers' dollars).
    Going through a trial for an obvious tasteless joke is an extreme punishment.

Have you guys never said anything like that as a joke? I'm sure some of you haven't but some people just say sick things they don't mean at all. Fuck the things I've said have been horrible in a joking manner. The funny part is, I hear Holocaust jokes and nobody gets arrested for that... Seriously, the judge better have some damn sense. Yeah it's wrong to joke about it but seriously it wasn't like he posted it to the web, some random person saw it.
    You've probably never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But but but.... Obama!

Regardless... the kid was obviously joking. 8 years is exceedingly harsh, but do recall that not all speech is "protected." A classic example would be yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. I don't believe that then saying "just kidding" would free you from any further punishment.
    Ok but you don't know if he is actually joking if we thought everyone was joking but they actually did something then we could have a really big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Have you guys never said anything like that as a joke? I'm sure some of you haven't but some people just say sick things they don't mean at all. Fuck the things I've said have been horrible in a joking manner. The funny part is, I hear Holocaust jokes and nobody gets arrested for that... Seriously, the judge better have some damn sense. Yeah it's wrong to joke about it but seriously it wasn't like he posted it to the web, some random person saw it.
    He posted it to facebook and didn't have it on private, thus he did in fact post it to the web. The kid does need to be punished for being an absolute moron, a couple days in jail and community service, but 8 years is just way to long.

Pretty bad that our justice system will never be done right. Murderers, rapists, and drug abuser sometimes get a lot less than this or they're set free.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think a bit more highly of humans than to think someone yelling out a word overrides their perception of reality enough to evoke primitive urges for self-preservation at the cost of others.
    How about yelling "I have a gun" then?

Do people ask "well, lemme see it first, and then I'll consider panicking?"

As I said, 8 years was obviously too much. But the kid certainly shouldn't get off for nothing based on "freedom of speech" when it doesn't cover what he said.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    He posted it to facebook and didn't have it on private, thus he did in fact post it to the web. The kid does need to be punished for being an absolute moron, a couple days in jail and community service, but 8 years is just way to long.
    I guess I should be punished for slipping a Hitler joke too right? You know, that guy killed millions so it's alright to joke about it... You see what I'm trying to say?
    You've probably never heard of him.