Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Buying a new Graphics card this month.. wich one?

So im upgrading my 460 1gb edition graphics card this month. And I'm looking at the 770 & 7970 as the cards I'm proberly going to buy.. But I'm not sure wich one. And even when then decided wich one. Then what brand?
    XFX? MSI? ASUS? Club 3D? HIS? Sapphire? POWERCOOLER? Gainward? GIGABYTE? EVGA? ZOTAC?

Atm im much of a fan of the XFX & Gainward designs wich i think will fit perfectly with my black & white hardware "theme" with blue LED's in my case wich is the NZXT Switch 810 white. So it would fit great. But that's just decision-making based on looks of the cooler, Wich proberly seems a bit silly.

so I'm asking, 7970 or 770? And then wich Brand? And heck, Are there any other cards that deserve honorable mentions. I looked at the Titan/780/690, But have decided its not worth the bang-for-the-buck atm.

Edited: I'm running: 1000Watt NZXT PSU, BenQ XL2420T 24" 120Hz Monitor @1920x1080. Most of the time I'm gaming WoW & League of Legends, But it of course also needs to be ready for the future. Forexample BF4. And i exspect to buy a 3rd monitor for playing around with Eyefinity. (Wich would of course require a SLI/CF config for ultra settings atleast.)

Budget is what ever i want it to be.
    Last edited by warptwist; 2013-06-28 at 10:07 AM.
    True wisdom is to look beyond your own opinion.

Deleted
    ok so most importantly, what is your budget, what games are you looking to play on what settings and what screen resolution? also is your psu enough to handle a new card?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202008
    $309 after rebate
    I think its best price for performance card in existence atm for good 1080p gaming

2-3% negligible difference vs a GTX770, more VRAM (than most of them) for multi-screen gaming potential (and higher resolution than 1080p), as well as being about $90 less expensive (I will not say cheaper because cheap infers lesser quality)

Deleted
    if you are going to go multiple monitor then yeah 7970 would be the better option, even though im an nvidia fanboy amd are definately the way to go for multiple monitor setup. in terms of brand http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-m...dvi-i-hdmi-plu the twin frozr fans are pretty beast, they are the same as the fans on my msi gtx 670 and they keep the temperatures waaaay down even with overclocks

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realized you are in denmark, can you link the site you intend to use because a lot of analysis will be based on price-per-performance on sites like Amazon.com and Newegg.com

pricerunner.dk to determine cheapest detailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    and what would your budget be?

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 02:25 PM ----------

Ok there doesn't seem to be the huge price cut on the Sapphire 7970 on there. The MSI TF 770 is approx 80$ more in Denmark than US, which is reasonable given the tax and all.

I would go for two of these: http://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/37-2896...menlign-Priser in SLI if you can afford it.

They scale really well and reviews have shown almost double performance when SLI-ing them. Crossfire, at the moment, isn't as good.

The Twin Frozr MSI GTX 770 has gotten top notch reviews and while it is true it is only 2-3% better vs a 7970 (1 card vs 1 card), the reason people on this forum tend to suggest 7970 is because it is $90 less expensive than the 770 in the US, which is not the case in Denmark, apparently. Also, you mentioned an SLI setup for 3-monitors. Due to the issues with Crossfire and how well the 770 performs in SLI, I would go for the 770 SLI.

Reviews: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...Gaming/31.html (Score of 9.8, very impressive)

SLI 3 Monitor review: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2210/
    SLI and 3 monitor review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html

Check this out:

63FPS on BF3 ultra settings with SLI 770 at 5760x1080 resolution (3 monitor setup of 1920x1080 per monitor)

Benchmark Results: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 SLI setup that runs ~$800 easily beat the NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan that costs $999! The GeForce GTX 770 SLI setup performed great on the NVIDIA 2D Surround setup at 5760x1080 and was able to average 63 frames per second! A single MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming card gets 34 FPS at the same resolution, so we are nearly doubling performance!
    Last edited by Ripox; 2013-06-28 at 10:37 AM.

Ain't really any budget cap. I'll set it for what needs be. But something around 2200-3500 would proberly be what I'm aiming/exspect for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well one of those cards (without SLI, I mean) I linked (the MSI 770) handled BF3 on ultra settings in 3-monitor setup at 33FPS. I think thats really impressive and if you can't afford SLI just yet, it should be able to still do 3monitor setup at probably medium settings at good FPS. of course, if its just 1920x1080 you're after at the moment, you can see that a single 770 did over 85FPS

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 02:41 PM ----------

It should be noted that those benchmarks were run on an i7-3960x, so you're likely to get lower FPS than those results

I can understand a price difference of 80 dollars or so especially when the cards seem to be so expensive today. However, I was able to get my gtx 770 up to 1228 mhz gpu speed and 8002 mhz memory speed fairly easily. It was already factory overclocked with a decent fan.

I was falling in fps at medium to low settings in a lot of areas in WoW with a 6970. I'm doing fairly well with the new 770 at max settings (minus shadows down one tick) and over 60 fps in almost all situations (I am using 2 large monitors btw also sometimes multibox and have 4gb model but that's not important for 'most' single monitors and especially not that important single monitoring WoW). I felt like I needed to get something that was more stable for raiding until the Maxwell stuff comes out. I get the impression that will be a big jump as far as cards go. It won't be soon enough, however (and I'm usually one to wait).

-Nish
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-06-28 at 12:55 PM.
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

WoW is more of a CPU/Ram game than GPU afaik. So a faster CPU would proberly affect your FPS more than a faster GPU. But that's just as far as i know.

I'm still running a 930 oc'd to 4.2 ghz on air. I made a post just now asking whether the new chips would be worth it to upgrade to. It's fairly easy to oc any intel chip before Haswell (especially sandy and the 920/930s).

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Little to no games take advantage of RAM greater than 8GB. WoW won't benefit (much) from anything better than a 3570k/4670k OC'd
    a GTX 770 will perform much better in AA and intensive areas like raids than something like a 5850, still.

So while its true that WoW is mainly CPU-bound, you cannot (shouldn't, anyways) tell someone with an i5-4670k and a 5850 GPU to upgrade his CPU to an i7-3960x instead of upgrading his GPU to something like a 760/7950 to increase performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Little to no games take advantage of RAM greater than 8GB. WoW won't benefit (much) from anything better than a 3570k/4670k OC'd
    a GTX 770 will perform much better in AA and intensive areas like raids than something like a 5850, still.

So while its true that WoW is mainly CPU-bound, you cannot (shouldn't, anyways) tell someone with an i5-4670k and a 5850 GPU to upgrade his CPU to an i7-3960x instead of upgrading his GPU to something like a 760/7950 to increase performance.
    It's not 8Gb of ram it's ram with a speed of 8000 mhz. There's a difference.
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-06-28 at 11:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean? Are you saying that if I have 8GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM and I upgrade it to 32GB RAM I will see a noticeable improvement in most games?

No... -_-

I thought you were referring to my video card's specs which have 4gb ram (the amt is not important for single monitors being the minimum is 2gb or so on nearly all cards) and it is overclocked at 8000 Mhz with a 256 bus width. This is just about as fast as a stock 7970. The 770 gpu (chip in the vid card) is 10-15 percent faster than a 7970 though.

Your computer ram and ram speed is fine if it is 8gb at 1600mhz. You won't see a difference if you get more.

-Nish
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-06-28 at 11:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I won't see more it was a 'question' for you to realize what you were saying was wrong or there has been some miscommunication.

Anyways, back on topic.

@OP have you decided on the 770 and we're done here or d'ya still need some more help?

10+ Year Old Account
    3x120Hz monitors? Even 4x780 will have a hard time keeping 70 fps in BF4.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, simply because the monitors can display 120FPS doesn't mean its expected that it displays over 60 in games. I'm not familiar with TN panels / 120Hz monitors. Does 60FPS on 120hz monitor look as smooth as 60FPS on 60hz monitor?

10+ Year Old Account
    It might, but I cannot see the difference. Only at 90+ frames I start to notice the smoothness.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)