Need tank advice for learning the 5 mans

Thanks in advance, ill make this quick.

Thanks to the Dendrome I've been able to pickup most of the regular dungeon set pieces as a newly converted Riftstalker (came from MM, Bard). I've done a ton of tanking in WoW (warrior) and for alot of the instances I would just "wing-it" as they were usually easy. Five mans in RIFT are not friendly to the rookie tank. I'm looking to check out some videos as I have a lot of catching up to do. I've made it to 60 w/o running any SL instances. I can't find any decent info about the encounters from the frame of reference of a tank.

Question : How are you tanks (especially new ones in SL) ramping up other than just running and banging your head a million times.

FYI - I'm JazzMoonBase on Wolfsbane currently (Male Guardian Dwarf Rogue) if your in game.

Thanks again.

Riftscene.com has lots of guides. Go there.

I'm in the same situation as you. What I've been doing is to mentor down and slowly run all the old instances as a tnak to learn how to tank them.

Just read up on tactics or say that you haven't done the specific instance when you enter. I have only seen 1 person mildly flaming me for not knowing the tactics, and it was coming from a 2k dps rogue (not a support, but real dps. Yeah, I know)... And I can bet it was a WoW player. Rift community is good, you won't get flamed simply for being new like you would in WoW. They will rather explain and let you learn. Well, maybe groups were more patient with me because I never needed more than 1 wipe to learn an expert boss.

Experts in general are not very hard for a tank, just a lot more time consuming than WoW's heroics. The way I see it, healers have a much harder time.

So yeah, don't be afraid of joining instances, be it normal or expert. Practice is better than learning theory, anyway.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2013-06-29 at 12:41 PM.

A possible option is to queue as DPS and learn the fights from that perspective. Then when you go in to tank you already have a pretty good idea of the overall tactics, and just need to learn some of the smaller tank specific stuff.

I did that this expansion because I hit 60 late and it worked out pretty well for me.

Great advice, thanks all..