Current Fire Rotation - Need Help

Hey guys,

I've been playing frost since Throne of Thunder. It's served me well and I seem to be doing very well with the frost spec in my 25 man raid team. Since I have the gear now, I want to go back to fire. My problem is I haven't gotten recent in-depth criticisms from fellow mages regarding my rotations recently. Could you guys look at my rotation and tell me if I'm doing something wrong? My knowledge of fire is based on Cata rotation. There are similarities but there are differences.

Opener-
    pre-pot
    MI
    hard cast pyro
    LB
    (Once first ignite happens, I fireblast)
    Get pyro! then alter time
    Pyro!
    Fireball, LB, Fireblast, Pyro! typical shuffle.

(pot during TW, ideally before Combustion. Is it ideal to pot before pyro!? Does that give stronger combusts?)

Am I doing something wrong? LB still needs to be refreshed right before it falls, if I believe. I know LB is best single, NT for 3-4 targets, and FB for more than 4. That's all good. My dps seems to be OK for heroics but I haven't raid tested it yet.

Bomb, Pyro, Ignite: In terms of combstion helper, which stats matter? Is it just pyro and ignite now? What's the magic number I should be looking for to get the best combustions?

Finally, I understand that each boss is a dps research itself. Different bosses require different strats. (Jindo - save CDs for water.) Is there a website for mages that teach us those special tricks to get the best dps for each fight?

If you would like, you can talk about my gems and glyphs and tell me if Mr. Robot told me something wrong. But I'd apperciate hard discussion about fire dps.

Any help would be apperciated.

PS: Oh oh oh! How the hell do fire mages do AOE now? Is fireblast still our primary tool or is it NT spam?

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Pensive/simple
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2013-06-28 at 06:02 PM.

Deleted
    if i were you, i would read the fire sticky at the top of this forum. your rotation info is there.. from what you put up here, it seems your Altertime rotation needs some work.

That fire mage guide is great! I'll look into it now.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    Opener-
    pre-pot
    MI
    hard cast pyro
    LB
    (Once first ignite happens, I fireblast)
    Get pyro! then alter time
    Pyro!

Fireball, LB, Fireblast, Pyro! typical shuffle.
    The bold and underlined parts are where you're messing up a bit.

Pre-Alter Time, you want a HU+HS, and your trinkets to proc. If trinkets proc w/o a HU, if you don't have the duration to spare, you can go ahead, but it's highly recommended you get a HU too.

- *HU+HS+Trinkets* Start casting a Fireball, then just when it finishes, Alter Time and hit Pyro immediately (so the Fireball doesn't remove HU/waste a HS)
    - Spam Pyros til out of Pyros. Alter Time, rinse repeat.
    - If you still didn't Combust by now, Combustion just as you throw the last PoM Pyro (You don't want to include it)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

My general opener is:

Evo at ~5s before pull
    Pre-pot
    MI
    Hardcast Pyro at ~2s to pull
    Mage Bomb after pyro lands / pull begins
    Use FB spam / IB to get the standard Pyro! / HU buffs up (Hopefully by now you should have your trinkets / meta / potion / hero going)

Hit AT

Pyro! -> Pyro! If both of these crit, I immediately hit AT again to reset my Pyro!/HU buffs, without using PoM-> Pyro
    Pyro! -> Pyro! If both of these crit, then immediately combustion. This is the best possible outcome.

In reality, if you are using a set rotation for your opening combustion, you're doing it wrong. With PoM and AT, you are setting up a string of spells in which you have 4-6 possible insta-pyros. Two of them are going to be weaker PoM -> pyros. Based on how you're critting, you want to minimize the use of the two PoM -> Pyros and maximize your Pyro! Pyros.

Example: If my initial 2 pyros crit I could cast the PoM -> pyro I have. Then I hit AT, and I cast pyro again. Only one crits this time, so I use up my PoM -> Pyro. My ignite now consists of the last 4 casts that were rolled into it, those casts being two crits, and two PoM pyros. If I had canceled my AT early and not used my initial PoM, the ignite would instead consist of the three crits, and the final PoM -> pyro. Leading to a stronger ignite, and a stronger combustion.

If you google "Method fire mage guide" there is a good guide by one of Method's fire mages. He has some videos on how to play fire on some of the ToT fights.

For AoE, I usually just time a combustion around when I need to get AoE damage out (like turtles on tortos) and then cleave a good combustion onto the adds while maintaining single target DPS. I'll admit though, I haven't done a huge amount of work into fire AoE, mainly because a lot of our AoEs don't make sense to cast. Channeling blizzard is a no-go on tortos and horridon. With the movement of the adds flamestrike is a waste. So I just cleave off my main target. If this is incorrent, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Oh, and I think this is the wrong thread for this type of question. We have a Mage DPS thread.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    The bold and underlined parts are where you're messing up a bit.

Pre-Alter Time, you want a HU+HS, and your trinkets to proc. If trinkets proc w/o a HU, if you don't have the duration to spare, you can go ahead, but it's highly recommended you get a HU too.

- *HU+HS+Trinkets* Start casting a Fireball, then just when it finishes, Alter Time and hit Pyro immediately (so the Fireball doesn't remove HU/waste a HS)
    - Spam Pyros til out of Pyros. Alter Time, rinse repeat.
    - If you still didn't Combust by now, Combustion just as you throw the last PoM Pyro (You don't want to include it)
    You should not spam pyros until you are out of pyros.

@Frost1129

Why do you start so late on your pull? I need a full 8 seconds to do my evo, prepot, MI, pyro. If done at 8 seconds pyro hits on 0 seconds. I think you might be wasting a couple of seconds on the pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Knupzz View Post
    @Frost1129

Why do you start so late on your pull? I need a full 8 seconds to do my evo, prepot, MI, pyro. If done at 8 seconds pyro hits on 0 seconds. I think you might be wasting a couple of seconds on the pull.
    My pyro is usually 1/2 way done by the time our tank throws his shield out, although I'll admit to not always monitoring him exactly (more focused on which things are procing).

I can double check this tonight though, you may be correct.

Lots of excellent advice, guys. I won't edit my post until I do more research. Thank you so much for now!

Fire sure has changed, huh. Geez!