Thread: New PC

New PC

I'm looking to put a computer together mainly for gaming

Budget: 800-1000 euro
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (will be buying it later so won't mention it)
    Games:
    Settings Desired: High

First to make it clear beforehand, I have no interest in overclocking so I won't be buying the special processors even if they are just 10 euro's more expensive, with that in mind I also won't need a expensive motherboard and my aim is to save as much money as possible on parts that won't increase the performance of my computer.

What I do look for is reliability and good performance

I have the following parts in my mind (I will be linking from random sites.

Intel® Core™ i5-4670 CPU
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i...20i5-4670.html

Will be using the stock cooler because like I mentioned I don't want to overclock so I won't need a better cooler. Having said I don't want my system to make to much noise so if anybody can tell me their experience with the Intel stock coolers I would really appreciate it.

motherboard ASUS B85-PLUS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131996

A cheap motherboard that supports Haswell, since I'm not planning to overlock I decided to take a cheap motherboard from Asus which is one of the more reliable manufactures of motherboards (as far as my limited google searchers can tell).

Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (2 times 4 gb)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104173

Western Digital WD20EZRX 2 TB
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/inter...viar-green-2tb

Seems like a slow HDD but it has a good storage/cost ratio plus with a added bonus that it doesn't produce allot of sound

Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition
    http://www.aerocool.com.tw/2011/06-june/105.html

Just looks nice

Power:"Cooler Master GX550
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-...t-fan-atx-v231

I believe that 550 is more then enough while not putting to much strain on the power-supply

SSD:Samsung MZ-7TD120BW
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series.../dp/B009NHAF06

Not 100% sure if I will buy the SSD right away or at a later date but this one caught my eye (kind of). From what I understand Samsung uses a technology which normally is found on SSD with crappy lifespans but they corrected that problem.

MSI N660Ti-2GD5/OC

Or

MSI GTX760 OC Twin Frozr

I would rather have the more recent 760 but I don't want to wait for 2 or 3 months till its widely available since my current computer is really really really really really old.

Without the SSD the core parts alone should cost between 800-900 Euro (using Alternate a Dutch site as a tool since its convenient to see what I will pay at max)

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

10+ Year Old Account
    The reality is that you gain so much more performance by over clocking. It is not a big increase in price for a Z-board, a CM 212 EVO, and a K CPU. Why are you so against overclocking? Don't believe any stupid notion that overclocking harms your precious little computer. If you're not an absolute moron about it, not much can go wrong. Its 2013, not 2003.

Also, don't get the 660 Ti, 760 beats it in performance and costs less.

Link the site you want to use to buy everything so I can work a build and it will have overclocking because its ridiculous to throw away potential performance like that

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 02:41 AM ----------

What are you using the computer for btw?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Settings Desired: High
    What I do look for is reliability and good performance
    These desires conflict with not overclocking.
    Power:"Cooler Master GX550
    Coolermaster is meh for PSU's. I'd consider an XFX
    From what I understand Samsung uses a technology which normally is found on SSD with crappy lifespans but they corrected that problem.
    I'm not sure where you heard that. There has never been such problem, and such nothing was ever fixed.

The 760 Gigabyte or MSI is your best bet.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    These desires conflict with not overclocking.

Coolermaster is meh for PSU's. I'd consider an XFX

I'm not sure where you heard that. There has never been such problem, and such nothing was ever fixed.

The 760 Gigabyte or MSI is your best bet.
    The reason why I don't want to overlock is not because I think that it causes unstability (unless you push the limit), with stability I was refrering to the parts like with PSU you mentioned.

I don't want to overclock because I will have to buy a more expensive motherboard, a better cooler, a more expensive PSU unless 550 is sufficient and ofc the appropriate processor. If I can reduce the cost of overclocking to a minimum I will consider it but personally I find that when people make suggestions about how part A is just a little bit more expensive but provides so much more functions (or performance) it also means that you have to buy the more expensive part B and C to make part A work. And that little bit more expensive starts to add up.

About the samsung SSD
    From what I read Samsung uses triple-level-cell memory for their 840 series, normally however manifactures use MLC memory because its more reliable.

http://www.flashbay.com/support/faq/...b-flash-drives

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I don't want to overclock because I will have to buy a more expensive motherboard, a better cooler, a more expensive PSU unless 550 is sufficient and ofc the appropriate processor.
    Well, yeah. But that performance increase with the cost is highly efficient, and within your budget.

From your perspective, you ought to just buy a $300 dell and call it a day. Any more performance will just cost more money.

In truth though, at that budget, not overclocking is literally throwing money away.

From what I read Samsung uses triple-level-cell memory for their 840 series, normally however manifactures use MLC memory because its more reliable.
    http://www.flashbay.com/support/faq/...b-flash-drives
    I wish people would stop linking that. It's.... misleading, and siding on inaccurate.

TLC is not error prone. Period. They're referring to either A) Old tech, when TLC was still new (like 7 years ago), or talking about 2 bit per trillion error, versus 1 bit per trillion. You could say thats "Twice as much" or "100% more failure rate" but... c'mon. >.>

TLC is perfectly safe, and perfectly good, and perfectly fast, for the normal user.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    too add to chazus' post, something he grazed over, is that a 550w PSU is perfectly fine. Overclocking your CPU, GPU, or both, won't cause any issues in that department.

Overclocking is well within your budget, so i fail to see the issue with money, unless you provided an incorrect budget. If it's within your budget, whys it matter if it's more money? As long as you gain performance from it, which you would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surprisingly, overclocking adds very little power usage to the system, at least as far as the CPU goes. Even overclocking the GPU would only add 10-15w pull more often than not, and people overclock GPUs much more rarely (at least on this website, with a CPU dependant game). So yeah, as Killora said.. a 550 is fine. In fact, even a good quality 450w would probably be fine, but I like to have a bit more headroom if I can help it.

Deleted
    If you are not going to overclock, you might aswell go for a i5 4570. Saves you about 20 euro, which could be spend else where.

edit:

I came up with this list. You still have room for the 4670 if you want. And you can drop the gpu down to a 760 if you like.

Intel Core i5 4570 Boxed € 176,90

Asus H87-PLUS € 85,90

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB € 369,90

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST1000DM003, 1TB € 53,85

Corsair Carbide 300R € 59,99

Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU € 49,10

Seasonic M12II 520W € 56,-

Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB € 81,90
    Totaal € 933,54

You also have room left for an OS. The plextor is apperently just as good as the samsung or possible better. But you could put the samsung in there as well, they cost about the same.
    I picked a H87 motherboard, because its only 5 euros more expensive.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2013-06-29 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks for the advice then, I will look to a different motherboard then.

Any suggestions which chipfactor has the preference? The Motherboard I wanted to choice is a B85 but I'm guessing I need Z87

The asus z87-a is a great motherboard going pretty cheap at the moment.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Here is a build, if you do intend to OC.

Intel Core i5 4670K Boxed € 206,50
    Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3€ 106,10

MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming € 240,95
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST1000DM003, 1TB€ 53,85
    Corsair Carbide 300R€ 59,99
    Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev.2€ 26,62
    Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU€ 49,10
    Seasonic M12II 520W€ 56,-
    Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB€ 81,90
    Totaal € 881,01

This leaves room for an OS, if you need it. If you dont need the OS, you might be able to squeeze in a 770/7970. Or you could go for a bigger SSD.

I used tweakers.net, I wouldnt order at alternate. They tend to be more expensive than other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Here is a build, if you do intend to OC.

Intel Core i5 4670K Boxed € 206,50
    Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3€ 106,10

MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming € 240,95
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST1000DM003, 1TB€ 53,85
    Corsair Carbide 300R€ 59,99
    Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev.2€ 26,62
    Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU€ 49,10
    Seasonic M12II 520W€ 56,-
    Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB€ 81,90
    Totaal € 881,01

This leaves room for an OS, if you need it. If you dont need the OS, you might be able to squeeze in a 770/7970. Or you could go for a bigger SSD.

I used tweakers.net, I wouldnt order at alternate. They tend to be more expensive than other shops.

Thanks for the list, I will probably mix it a bit with what I was originally planing. For example I like the Western Digital harddrive a bit more because of the size and it seems that it doesn't produce allot of sound.

I mainly used Alternate for the builder on their website but another reason why I was looking at their site is because of shipping cost. You don't have to pay separate shipping cost for each part you buy (already checked the price I would have to pay) but when you start ordering from different webshops the difference between Alternate and the other webshops becomes minimum at best.

I need a final opinion before purchasing the parts

CPU Intel® Core™ i5-4670K
    CPU cooler Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
    Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3
    Ram Crucial 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
    GPU MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    HDD Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB Harde Schijf
    Case Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition
    PSU XFX PRO550W Core Edition

I will buy a SSD at a later time decided against it now because I also want to buy a new monitor next month and SSD isn't a top priority.