Thread: MW Healing

10+ Year Old Account

MW Healing

I'm currently working on a new monk, I already have a WW monk.
    But I keep reading about this Fistweaving. Is this a required thing for healing as a MW?

It feels incredibly awkward for me, but if it's required I can keep trying to learn how to do it correctly.
    I mean if I don't do it will it severely hurt my healing later on if / when I start raiding?

Side note I'm finding it fun to quest as MW I had no idea how easy it is to fight as one.
    I can take on up to 10 quest mobs in northrend and leave fight with full HP.
    How far could I expect to fight this way as I quest?

Deleted
    It's by no means required. It's nice on bosses where you can stack up and there's not a huge healing requirement. It's also nice for being kind of lazy. I haven't healed much but I can tell you that our monk healer does not fistweave on a regular basis, but if we need a dps boost he will. Fistweaving was more useful when you could Jab>Jab>Uplift without killing your mana. Don't get me wrong, it's still good. I'd practice it, but if you don't like it I'd stick with just sitting back and healing. You will use more mana fistweaving than not but might fill like you're doing more.

As far as questing goes, WW and BrM are your best bets. At 90 as BrM I can pull 12+ mobs on Isle of Thunder and never have a hp problem. As Windwalker, chain pulling mobs is cake and your self healing is more than enough. You will kill things quicker as WW, but it's all a matter of preference. You CAN quest to 90 as MW. You won't have a problem. Keep up Tiger Palm, Keep RM on yourself, use your chi dumps on dmg dealers (and use chi wave on cd). Questing should be cake no matter what spec. I just personally prefer BrM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled my other monk as WW and I've noticed (in Northrend especially) I kill much faster than I did with WW.
    I was really surprised by that.

Well good I was hoping it wasn't a required thing for healing.
    I usually sit in melee range so I can fire off spinning kick when needed for some AoE heals.
    Maybe it's just because of low levels but I saw the healing (by fighting) to be very low and not do too much.
    I'll keep poking at it and see how it goes as I level and read up more on the guides.

But pretty sure ATM I probably not do it unless fights need the bit of DPS boost.

Its not needed but its helpful whenever you can. Some fights have gimmicks where bosses get increased damage taken or damage buffs to the raid then its pretty good.

5 mans are a great place for fistweaving and, as pkm mentioned, there are certain gimmicks where it could be more useful than traditional healing. That said, I'm like you in preferring the traditional style of healing. Monks do have a lot of mobility that allows us to even weave in and out of melee, mixing both styles of healing into the same fight. It's a great way to keep the class fresh.

Deleted
    fistweaving is good for that extra dps but unless you really really enjoy it and wanna go hardcore its not so great for healing crappy situations. I fistweave if I need it say for ji'kun nests or to beat a timer but most of the time I just play "renewing style" (especially on farm bosses but that's prolly coz am lazy)

I currently only FW on the following raid bosses: Horridon, Durumu, Twin Consorts. All normal, 25man.

Durumu and Twin Consorts have lots of little damage going out that the smart heals provided by FW are great for. Horridon has increased damage taken, which make FW perform well.

Non-raid, I FW for everything. Quests, dungeons, scenarios. I can get about 70-90k single target, with Xuen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so FW is very situational in the raid setting I take it?
    And I'm guessing it more of a level 90 type of thing?
    Since at 70~ it's total crap? It heals me fine but when I'm doing it in a dungeon I end up just doing spinning kick to heal everyone quick.

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    Ok so FW is very situational in the raid setting I take it?
    And I'm guessing it more of a level 90 type of thing?
    Since at 70~ it's total crap? It heals me fine but when I'm doing it in a dungeon I end up just doing spinning kick to heal everyone quick.
    it's very different at 90, Spinning Crane Kick really won't do much for you then (Literally, the healing at 90 isn't much higher than the healing at 70 - it's really imabalanced at lower levels).

Fistweaving should be used if you get the time to do so, if there's not much damage - it helps meet enrages and it actually provides more tank healing than soothing/enveloping. If I know I can get away with fistweaving for a bit i'll do it, no reason not to ^.^ - DPS wise, in a heroic you can pull serious DPS fistweaving, in a raid you're going to be much lower but you can still do a hefty amount, one some fights I can do 40m+ damage, it's actually gotten us a few kills in the past due to enrages when we didn't have the gear and were progressing.

Regarding questing, I quested all the way as a mistweaver to 90 BEFORE the damage buffs, at which point I switched to windwalker for the last 5 levels. With the damage buffs now it could actually be quicker than leveling as a dps or tank.

Essentially Fistweaving is free healing to a certain extent as long as you can stay on the boss. HPS wise its low unless the encounters have a gimmick (Something like increases damage by X %). If there is no reason to move from the boss then there is no reason not to fistweave. If you're the type of player who goes on forums and reads about your class than you'll know all there is to know about the basics of healing. Only thing left is to actually practice on keeping your hot on cooldown and on as many people as possible (Thunder focus tea) and managing chi and uplifts with incoming damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm one of the people that has to know every detail of a class to master it.
    One of the reasons this is a second monk so I can learn healing from the ground up.
    You don't get the same "training" by buying healing gear off the AH and jumping in.

I've had every healer in the game leveled and I have to say MW is the most complicated yet fun out of them all.

Deleted
    I've had every healer in the game leveled and I have to say MW is the most complicated yet fun out of them all.
    Agree with this also ^^ It's also hard to explain to other people who haven't actually played the MW spec...they tend to get lost around the thunder focus part lol. Hope the monk turns out good for you!!!!!! ^^

p.s. <3 breaking bad soooo much xD

ReM on CD, expel on CD, TFT 5-10s before burst damage hits the raid, revival when called/planned for, jab/TP or jab/BK to bleed excess mana and time in raids.
    Otherwise, it's normal: Don't stand in bad stuff, use personal's before big bursts hit, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    So as monk probably good to just stay within melee range with other DPS even if you're not meleeing just to give the option?

Main question I have now.
    When you fistweave does the tank get the healing or is it like a AoE heal for everyone around you?

@Kalraii
    I'm still figuring out the Thunder Focus Tea part, I just got it so not too much testing and learning with it yet.
    Also Breaking Bad same here. Big fan since he looks like me lol.
    Glasses, goatee, and shaved head lol.

So as monk probably good to just stay within melee range with other DPS even if you're not meleeing just to give the option?

Main question I have now.
    When you fistweave does the tank get the healing or is it like a AoE heal for everyone around you?

@Kalraii
    I'm still figuring out the Thunder Focus Tea part, I just got it so not too much testing and learning with it yet.
    Also Breaking Bad same here. Big fan since he looks like me lol.
    Glasses, goatee, and shaved head lol.
    As a mistweaver monk you dont get targeted by any ability that ranged do so even if you dont plan to fistweave atall its probably more beneficial to stay in melee range anyway so you dont need to move out of stuff left by the ranged dps like spears on iron qon. And yea as you said it also gives you an option to fistweave during low raid damage.
    2 answer your second question, wen you fistweave the lowest hp target within 20 yards gets healed, and i think the same goes for the statue, it only heals the lowest hp person within 20yards of the statue.

Deleted
    Fistweaving is related to statue's range (make sure to read tooltip coz I'm terrible for tooltip homework) but it's a smart heal. I'm no expert but from what I understand your dmg is literally translated into % healing - like atonement for disc kind thing just not as powerful upfront or as simple. I tend to stick with the melee coz it's good for the sck if ness and to stay out of the range's way. But honestly its AMAZING!!! (the whole being melee thing) Like horridon HC you get a pink dino that chases you but being melee we are last on the lottery pick - put tiger on it and BYE BYE PINK DINO just so amazing without the hassle that the other poor buggery healers have. One thing I found a bit tricky about fistweaving (monk in general tbh) is the whole situational thang. Such as tiger does AMAZING burst healing if it can hit multiple targets - that blackout kick is a cleave and is sometimes preferable to sck all dependent on how many targets etc things like this. One habit though that I'm still trying to master is just keeping up tiger palm/serpents zeal. Just those small free smart heals interlining seems stupid to throw away right? It's the little things that count for sure with this class and spec.

p.s. just finished first season! And bald head is badass ^^

Some things I would like to add.

-If you have access to the legendary meta, you MUST be in melee and jab-tp jab-tp to take most advantage of it. If you can be there and use it on proc, you can drop ALL spirit from your gear. It is true you can use the proc with SuM (Surging Mist) and ReM (Renewing Mist) or even SCK, which I use say on rampage for magaera or p2 for Ra-den. But on less intensive moments/fights you should be in melee just to be able to min/max the meta.

-We can pull some really decent damage. If you run with strong healers, there will be moments that they will cover the healing almost by themselves (cof cof Disc). Moments like those you should dps if you want to use every GCD in most active way posible. Every 1 dps you provide w/o putting in jeopardy the wellfare of the raid by having less mana than needed on healing intensive moments, will help healing and survivability of your raid with less time/chances for people to die.

-Get a good UI setup. This is basic. I've noticed that most ppl don't know what is and how it works SZ (Serpent Zeal) Track also TP buff and Vital Mists. All this with a really good way to track your meta proc. Also, make sure you know when you have muscle memory and how much longer you have on it to be used. On Lei Shen you will find yourself FW, but then on Thunderstruck uplifting with muscle memory still up or on pillar change Lei Shen is moved and gets away from you so you chase him and sometimes forget you have MM up and jab again wasting unnecesary mana. Try gettin a way also how to track mana tea on CD, so you don't miss it and find yourself with low mana/full MT having it glyphed. For all these I recomend Weak Auras. You can find many strings in the internet or make them urself.

-Learn when to stop FW and start preparing for damage. You need to stop fw at times, since it won't be an optimal way to heal intensive healing moments. I always say that monks are a proactive class because of TFT mainly and uplift in second place. This means you need to have max amount of ppl as posible to you with ReM when high damage is in the neighborhood. Since you will need 3 chi (1 tft + 2 uplift) just for the ReM spread, you need to recover this chi spent so you have enough to uplift when damage actually arrives.

-I personally feel like its better to have ascension over chi brew if you are going to FW. You are going to have/produce more MT. So it's easier to recover with Ascension, even though I dont have the numbers, it just feels easier.

-I also have the feeling (again no numbers) that FW make the meta proc more.

-Learn to go in and out melee range. If you are using Chi Burst learn either to get back and position urself behind the raid, or learn to put ur statue in a strategic position to use it as a Chi Burst target from melee. You can use both. Same goes to chi torpedo. Learn how to go in and out. I say this because it gets a bit tricky to learn where to stand to use these abilities when in melee.

-Try using EH and ReM to give Chi for BoK if needed. Cheap and necesary spells that give you chi. Again, refer to Weak Auras to use them on CD.

-It is a smart heal. You don't have to be thinking and staring at your Grid/Vuhdo/Healbot just to snipe oe not get sniped. Easier to perform w/o much brain movement other than to keep Buffs/debuffs up, cds on cds, your position and bad stuff palcement (fire is bad), and Boss abilities cds (DBM or BW or even Boss emotes).

On fights with multiple targets, cleave. BoK is amazing and you get also eminence healing from it. I will link you my logs on Counsil to give you an example. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2726&e=3016 Here you can see how I do 100k hps and 100k dps. You can do both. Heal and DPS. Same fight with more healing and less dps http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...e=7271#Pipanda 60k dps and 140k hps. So again, you will have to see what you can/need to do depending on your experience and needs at any given moment. But learn to do both and adjust to each.

Those are like little tips and can give you from fw. I recommend you to learn how to do it, learn how to range heal, and then mix them depending using your experience and needs that you will learn during the progression (many many wipes) on each fight. Try always to be using every GCD doing something that helps your raid, healing or dps/healing. You will never go wrong if you are using every GCD.
    Last edited by Pips; 2013-07-01 at 04:29 AM.