Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    9 times out of 10, those that say it also say they can't be bothered to read the novels to find how the lore works, and say only the game can tell them.

Its like trying to explain to someone the bible is constantly reinterpreted, and you need to find your own method of understanding it, but of course, some just want to be told from one source only.
    Because theres a thing called a story telling you how they became that way, it doesn't just happen for no dam reason.
    I've been a lore-junkie of all the books, and I still don't know how Thrall got to be the Worlds most powerful Shaman.

Only times I've seen him use his shamanistic powers prior to the Cataclysm was to ask the elements for advice, to help him out in Lord of the Clans, or to seek further advice in the Shattering (which came after Metzen announcing him being the future "Azeroth's most powerful Shaman")

So... he's basically from what I've read... just a Shaman. He did nothing amazing nor undergone any amazing transformation journeys at all. The closest thing to the transformation journey was the Nagrand bit in Shattering, and even YOU possibly can't count that as all there is to becoming an amazing all-powerful Shaman of Thrall's level! That journey was literally like reading the "basics" of Shamanism!
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-06-29 at 01:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I've been a lore-junkie of all the books, and I still don't know how Thrall got to be the Worlds most powerful Shaman.

Only times I've seen him use his shamanistic powers prior to the Cataclysm was to ask the elements for advice, to help him out in Lord of the Clans, or to seek further advice in the Shattering (which came after Metzen announcing him being the future "Azeroth's most powerful Shaman")

So... he's basically from what I've read... just a Shaman. He did nothing amazing nor undergone any amazing transformation journeys at all. The closest thing to the transformation journey was the Nagrand bit in Shattering, and even YOU possibly can't count that as all there is to becoming an amazing all-powerful Shaman of Thrall's level! That journey was literally like reading the "basics" of Shamanism!
    Thrall is such a powerful shaman that he wears plate armor.

Yup. More experienced and powerful shamans exist like Drek'thar or Nobundo, yet somehow Thrall is THE ONE, kinda like Neo in the Matrix.

In short, Metzen simply loves Thrall very much.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Yup. More experienced and powerful shamans exist like Drek'thar or Nobundo, yet somehow Thrall is THE ONE, kinda like Neo in the Matrix.

In short, Metzen simply loves Thrall very much.
    Then in the next expansion he becomes the herald of N'zoth DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN METZEN we then have to KILLZ HIM CUZ HES CORRUPTED

okay I'm done sorry :P

10+ Year Old Account

Did you understand what happened in that story at all? No? Well let me enlighten you.

Before he went on his journey, Thrall was regarded as a powerful shaman, because he was one of the first shamans to be re-awoken in the orcish society after they lost there power, because he held greater control then the orcs who were held by rage and corruption.

He trained, yes, trained, like how Malfurion trained, like how Jaina trained, to become more in control of that power, it didn't happen overnight, it even took him years to grasp it.

He was regarded as a powerful shaman as warchief, but he never underwent his spiritual awakening that other shamans did, which is what happened in nagrand with aggra. He completed his spiritual awakening there, combined with his natural connection he already possessed, he already showed he was capable of being at one with the elements.

But, there was one other thing that happened to him, after staghelm split his soul into four elements, this from all accounts meant it overcame his own doubts and fears, giving him even greater connection to the respected elements when he became one again, something no other shaman has been though before. So that alone is something that gave him a deeper understanding of it. In the short story before the final patch of cata, Thrall is able to even transend his spirit into the earth and become one with it for a time, because of what happened to him.

So to answer you OP, Thrall is powerful, not just because of his own inner control and clarity, but also because of his training, his awakening to the elements, and because of what staghelm did to him, making him the most powerful shaman.

See, there is a story to this if you take the time to read it. But just like how people don't want to accept that Garrosh is a foil and has been rotten from the start, despite the developers telling them this, people also don't want to accept Thralls character development and just pass it off like it happened out of nowhere.

oh yes and 'DURR, metzen's favorite, him likes thrall best!"

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 03:12 AM ----------

I really don't like being rude about this, but I am done with this mary sue bullshit, when just about every other character has the same standing, same kind of super powers, done the same near impossible things, and yet you accuse Thrall of being that, which has no reason to it, at all.

And using the same old childish stick about 'he's metzens favorite', no, metzen has confessed Malfurion is his favorite character, directly contradicting anything you have to say.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 03:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Thrall has always been a central figure of the story, his character developed around the shamanism and his powerful tie with the elements even when he was a strange hybrid warrior/shaman, and in the Shattering became a full shaman, which made him what he is now. Thrall's journey to badassery and overpowerness it is not much different by other characters, to be honest many of those have even less details (Jaina being the most power mage on Azeroth just because she was talented and like studying, overpowered warriors like Saurfang that are what they are because they are old and veteran badasses that saw any kind of shit in war ecc.); considering how much Cataclysm was blatantly tied with the elements fucked by Deathwing and messed by the Elemental Lords, Thrall, considering his huge development as powerful shaman and important lore character, made a lot of sense as "hero" of the expansion. Nothing else to say about it, really.
    you know I just realized. People use Saurfang, constantly, as a meme for being the most overpowered warrior on azeroth, how he can cleave though anything and it instantly dies.

Yet when they say any of this, do they question why is saurfang so powerful? What is his background? Where did he learn to cleave?

Why is it okay to constantly make chuck norris references to a character with no background where he learned to be a powerful warrior, where as an actual character who we're told in story how he became the most powerful shaman to exist has solid reason for it.

You understand why I mouth off this community so much?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Thrall has always been a central figure of the story, his character developed around shamanism and his powerful tie with the elements even when he was a strange hybrid warrior/shaman, and in the Shattering became a full shaman, which made him what he is now. Thrall's journey to badassery and overpowerness it is not much different by other characters, to be honest many of those have even less details (Jaina being the most powerful mage on Azeroth just because she was talented and like studying, overpowered warriors like Saurfang that are what they are because they are old and veteran badasses that saw any kind of shit in war ecc.); considering how much Cataclysm was blatantly tied with the elements fucked by Deathwing and messed up by the Elemental Lords, Thrall, considering his huge development as powerful shaman and important lore character, made a lot of sense as "hero" of the expansion. Nothing else to say about it, really.

And using the same old childish stick about 'he's metzens favorite', no, metzen has confessed Malfurion is his favorite character, directly contradicting anything you have to say.
    I have to LOL at this. Malfurion his favorite? The fact that Malfurion has pretty much sat in Darnassus with his thumb up his ass since Cataclysm pretty much makes everyone take anything Metzen says with a grain of salt.

Actions speak louder than words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    I have to LOL at this. Malfurion his favorite? The fact that Malfurion has pretty much sat in Darnassus with his thumb up his ass since Cataclysm pretty much makes everyone take anything Metzen says with a grain of salt.

You talk of Cataclysm like an expansion old of 20 years.

10+ Year Old Account

no my dear, blues speak louder then the bad forum posts that try to counter it.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    I wonder why thrall is the prime shaman even though there is nothing to give its powers. It's almost like he was chosen by the elements for some reason.
    Yeah we've known that since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    I like thrall back from Warcraft 3 he's a cool carachter, but not even you can´t deny he became a mary sue in dragon soul
    You absolutely can if you use the term "mary sue" properly rather than use it to say you don't like the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Yeah we've known that since 2001.
    Its explained in lord of the clans, the elements choose Thrall because unlike the other orcs who were corrupted and lost there ties to the elements, and the few old frostwolf shamans, Thrall as the orc with the clearest sense of understanding, suggested because he was an orc raised by humans, so just as his understanding of both humans and orcs was open to him, so to was his link to the elements, unlike others who were held by war and conflict all the time.
    #boycottchina

People just seem to love flinging the word Mary Sue, simply becaues they dont like the character.

Thrall is powerful becaues he worked hard to be powerful. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    You talk of Cataclysm like an expansion old of 20 years.
    No, you didn't get my point. It's the amount of screen time Malfurion got throughout ALL the expansions versus Green Jesus, not just Cataclysm, it's almost a non-comparison. Did Malfurion make an appearance in BC? No, however Thrall gets screen time visiting Nagrand. Did Malfurion make an appearance in Wrath? No, but Thrall gets plenty of presence opposing Varian, talking about Ulduar, and visiting the Argent Tournament with Garrosh.

How are we supposed to believe a languishing and stagnating character is somehow Mr. Metzen's "favorite" when in fact his true alter-ego makes an appearance all the way from BC to MOP?

How are we supposed to believe a languishing and stagnating character is somehow Mr. Metzen's "favorite" when in fact his true alter-ego makes an appearance all the way from BC to MOP?
    You're assuming that he mixes personal preference with his profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    you know I just realized. People use Saurfang, constantly, as a meme for being the most overpowered warrior on azeroth, how he can cleave though anything and it instantly dies.

Yet when they say any of this, do they question why is saurfang so powerful? What is his background? Where did he learn to cleave?

Why is it okay to constantly make chuck norris references to a character with no background where he learned to be a powerful warrior, where as an actual character who we're told in story how he became the most powerful shaman to exist has solid reason for it.

You understand why I mouth off this community so much?
    Heh, the community is never objective and tend to follow the common flavors for looking smarter, it's a fact. That's the internet i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you didn't get my point. It's the amount of screen time Malfurion got throughout ALL the expansions versus Green Jesus, not just Cataclysm, it's almost a non-comparison. Did Malfurion make an appearance in BC? No, however Thrall gets screen time visiting Nagrand. Did Malfurion make an appearance in Wrath? No, but Thrall gets plenty of presence opposing Varian, talking about Ulduar, and visiting the Argent Tournament with Garrosh.

you think because he voices his character that makes hik metzens alter ego?

This is why your never going to understand.

And just for the record on that, Metzen also voices Varian. So, by your same bad logic, Varian is also metzens alter ego because he voices him too and he's had a lot of screen time.

But, unlike you who use such schoolyard themed lines like 'green jesus', the guy who actually invented this world your criticizing did say his favorite was malfurion.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 03:33 AM ----------

As I say, metzen voices several characters in wow, Thrall, Varian, Ragnaros, and some others I hear. So again, failed logic by these people.
    #boycottchina

I don't understand this. He is Vice President at Blizzard. That means he gets a lot of things done his way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkhyrule View Post
    People just seem to love flinging the word Mary Sue, simply becaues they dont like the character.

Thrall is powerful becaues he worked hard to be powerful. /thread
    I wish it could be that easy dude, but.. as you can see, its like teaching a duck to learn nuclear physics.
    #boycottchina

I don't understand this. He is Vice President at Blizzard. That means he gets a lot of things done his way.
    That doesn't mean his professional decisions mirror his every personal taste.

Again you're assuming he's making professional decisions purely off of what he wants personally, rather than what he thinks is best or appropriate for the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't mean his professional decisions mirror his every personal taste.

Again you're assuming he's making professional decisions purely off of what he wants personally, rather than what he thinks is best or appropriate for the story.
    of course they are. the amount of times the same annoying lines like 'mary sue' or ' metzens favourite' or 'green jesus' has been thrown around, there is no logic or reason in it, its just schoolyard mentality. And when you present to these people the most reasonable counter arguments to break what they are saying, they still say it.
    #boycottchina