Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    He was strong til Garrosh spanked his backside in front of the millions and I mean millions of wow fans.
    It wasn't really decisive for either one. Supposedly it was made out to be more obviously even in the comic book version.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    So getting laid made him the most powerful shaman ever?

What? I'm just asking a question!
    She really blew his mind.

The last time prior to this was him using them in "Lord of the Clans" to help him escape... and that's pretty much it. (Note: I never played WCIII - so I assume that game has some shaman stuff in there too?)

The next case from that point on of when his Shaman powers were brought up would be at Blizzcon when Metzen told us "Thrall is Azaroth's most powerful Shaman".

...seriously... there was no transition at all. Just Metzen declaring him as such...
    If you wanted to see Thrall use his shamanistic powers you should have tried attacking him in WoW.

Lord of the Clans and WC3 was all that was needed to establish his shamanism. There was no reason to keep bringing it up in WoW, though they certainly did. Maybe you're Alliance and don't know, or maybe you're Horde and just didn't register when he made references to the spirits. And need I remind you they didn't really start doing heavy storytelling with main characters until LK.

Shamanism in WC seems subject to change from one story to the next. I'd never been under the impression that there were real power levels with shamans. A shaman was as powerful as the spirits allowed him to be. Shamanism was first established in lore with Thrall and he was shown to have the spirits very receptive to his requests, so I was always under the impression Thrall was the greatest shaman even before Cataclysm. His only real competition was Nobundo, which isn't much if you ask me. Has he gotten more than a couple of paragraphs of lore yet?

Let's quote something from Thrall's grand appearance in BC:

Garadar Defender says: He carries the Doomhammer!
    Garadar Defender says: I am unworthy, son of Durotan. We are all unworthy...
    Garadar Defender says: Who is he? He looks so familiar.
    Garadar Defender says: For the first time, I feel safe. I do not know you, stranger, but I know that I would lay down my life for you if only you asked.
    Garadar Defender says: Could it really be? The son of Durotan?
    Garadar Defender says: Are the rumors true? Does he really carry the Greatmother's bloodline?
    Garadar Defender says: I have never felt such strength radiate from an orc. Is he... mortal...
    People can talk about mary sue this and green Jesus that, but he's always been an exalted character. The bulk of the fans were on board with the adulation as well. The one and only problem was that he stopped being cool in Cataclysm, and that wasn't because he was "too powerful". He left the Horde. Started wearing hobo robes. Started calling himself Go'el. Started a relationship with the awful character of Aggra and made us endure her awful voice(though if you haven't gone back to see, they've given her a much better one). His prudence started to come across as being more of a hippy. Everything that was iconic about him was stripped away.

People loved this guy. He needs to come back. Overreacting to one bad story and trying to kill him off is ridiculous. Salvage what you can and move on.

Why Thrall is so powerful?
    -he was raised by humans(blue eyes), so he's not only strong like orcs, but also smart as human(I believe that average human is smarter than average orc, and also I don't think that orcs are stupid overall),
    -he was trained by Blackmoore for fights,
    -Drek'thar was his mentor,
    -he's part of exiled Frostwolf Clan so it made him in a little pressure,
    -he fought and won with Orgrim Doomhammer,
    -he united orcs,
    -he made Orgrimmar(well, many peons/trolls/taurens etc. helped but still it was his idea),
    -he fought with Mannoroth,
    -In Wc3 he fought with Burning Legion, many creatures and beasts, getting more experience in fight,
    -he trained his shaman skills in Nagrand and joined the Earthen Ring, getting even more experience in shamanism,

Quote Originally Posted by Daniri View Post
    s always been an exalted character. The bulk of the fans were on board with the adulation as well. The one and only problem was that he stopped being cool in Cataclysm, and that wasn't because he was "too powerful". He left the Horde. Started wearing hobo robes. Started calling himself Go'el. Started a relationship with the awful character of Aggra and made us endure her awful voice(though if you haven't gone back to see, they've given her a much better one). His prudence started to come across as being more of a hippy. Everything that was iconic about him was stripped away.
    So he is basically the WoW version of John Lennon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    oooh here we go again.

'Metzens durr durr mary sue durr durr I have no clue about story or development durr durr'

Seen it to many times to count.

but for those of your that actually are capable of forming a collective interest in this rather then jumping on the 'every character I dislike is a mary sue' train.. The reason Thrall is regarded as the worlds most powerful shaman is because the same reason Malfurion is the worlds most powerful druid, or Jaina is the worlds most power sorcerer, or Velen is the worlds most powerful priest, or Warrior is the avatar of the wolf god, or Saurfang can cleave shit and not stop.. BECAUSE THATS HOW THE STORY MAKES THEM.
    you're just a thrall fanboi

accept it, thrall is metzens boy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrah View Post
    "In one of the most spiritual experiences of his life, Thrall befriended the spirits of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and the Wilds. He became the first new shaman since Gul'dan's vile corruption of the Horde. He returned to the camp a new orc and became fully immersed in the old ways of the shaman and his clan, embracing his role as son of the chieftain. This was a significant and symbolic event, since Thrall was the first shaman to be accepted by the spirits since Drek'Thar's time. Not only did this mean Thrall would be destined to be one of the greatest shamans in orcish history, but it also meant that the spirits finally forgave the orcish race for consorting with demonic powers, and deemed Thrall as the first of a brand new generation of shamans."

Source.
    Where did I hear something similar... ?! Hmm...when he returned from the meeting with the elements did he also bring two tablets with the laws of the horde ?

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    you're just a thrall fanboi

accept it, thrall is metzens boy
    No, Thrall is Metzen.

I miss a lot the old Thrall.

Come on!! The new Thrall is named Go'el, it is a Kryptonian name!!! He only needs an "S" in the middle of his head and start being the most powerful entity in WoW.
    Last edited by Belisaurio; 2013-06-29 at 10:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly I hope Thrall (who was a powerful warrior before he ever was a Shaman) puts his Gladiator skills to use and knocks Garrosh a nice hard one and forces him to cheat and use the Heart of Y'shaarj to win. I hope we then kill Garrosh simply and that like Arthas he dies pathetically grasping for his fading power.

Deleted
    Why is thrall so powerfull? Because he have a long story, he respect the elements, and is not something that just happen over night where a half giant came into his house and said " you are a shaman thrall"

Deleted
    Metzen and his mary sue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall is so powerful because he wielded an ancient artifact known as Dragon Soul / Demon Soul. Without it, he'd never been able to laser Deathwing.

Why is Jaina so powerful?
    Is she? I don't think that she is particularly powerful. Heh maybe judged by human standards... an Eredar mage would just yawn.

lore and its metzen's love child

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    So he is basically the WoW version of John Lennon?
    Ha, now that you mention it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Did you understand what happened in that story at all? No? Well let me enlighten you.

Before he went on his journey, Thrall was regarded as a powerful shaman, because he was one of the first shamans to be re-awoken in the orcish society after they lost there power, because he held greater control then the orcs who were held by rage and corruption.

He trained, yes, trained, like how Malfurion trained, like how Jaina trained, to become more in control of that power, it didn't happen overnight, it even took him years to grasp it.

He was regarded as a powerful shaman as warchief, but he never underwent his spiritual awakening that other shamans did, which is what happened in nagrand with aggra. He completed his spiritual awakening there, combined with his natural connection he already possessed, he already showed he was capable of being at one with the elements.

But, there was one other thing that happened to him, after staghelm split his soul into four elements, this from all accounts meant it overcame his own doubts and fears, giving him even greater connection to the respected elements when he became one again, something no other shaman has been though before. So that alone is something that gave him a deeper understanding of it. In the short story before the final patch of cata, Thrall is able to even transend his spirit into the earth and become one with it for a time, because of what happened to him.

So to answer you OP, Thrall is powerful, not just because of his own inner control and clarity, but also because of his training, his awakening to the elements, and because of what staghelm did to him, making him the most powerful shaman.

See, there is a story to this if you take the time to read it. But just like how people don't want to accept that Garrosh is a foil and has been rotten from the start, despite the developers telling them this, people also don't want to accept Thralls character development and just pass it off like it happened out of nowhere.

oh yes and 'DURR, metzen's favorite, him likes thrall best!"[COLOR="red"]
    I have to agree with Trassk on this, all of thise are the solid and good lore reasons why thrall he is so strong(I have dissagreed many times with trassk on other lore parts)But anyone who know just a bit of lore, and how power works in warcraft have to agree to thralls story is not just " he is strong now, for no reason" ( But then i will not hear you say anything about varian Since it is kind of the same, thrall was born to be blessed with the elements, and varian was chocen by a god :P , all about dat luck and training )

Deleted
    Is this thread some kind of a joke? How can some people say that they know lore and forget that Thrall is a powerful shaman even before the Warcraft 3 story?

Thrall's connection to the elements was strong enough to be able destroy Durnholde Keep. It's right there from day one.

Deleted
    Because Chris Metzen.

I have to agree with Trassk on this, all of thise are the solid and good lore reasons why thrall he is so strong(I have dissagreed many times with trassk on other lore parts)But anyone who know just a bit of lore, and how power works in warcraft have to agree to thralls story is not just " he is strong now, for no reason" ( But then i will not hear you say anything about varian Since it is kind of the same, thrall was born to be blessed with the elements, and varian was chocen by a god :P , all about dat luck and training )
    We all know Thrall's story. But the problem is there, in his story. He is superman (you can explain why if you want), but in the end, he is a superman. Maybe, we only need to throw Thrall in to Sargera's face and end all wow-problems. Doesn't matter why you write a plot to create a super-green-human-elemental-master-off-doom, the problem is that you created that character and now it's too much powerful. Warcraft story had a lot of powerful characters, but all of them died and become Heroes, but I thing Thrall it's the first one to accomplish such power and become a super-star and live (and have a wife and a son too).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    pretty much. Funny how Thrall who has gone though character progression and reason for him becoming a powerful shaman, people can't seem to understand that, but take Varian who was possessed by a freaking demo god giving him godlike wolf powers, but.. THATS nothing to regard about his character.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaurio View Post
    We all know Thrall's story. But the problem is there, in his story. He is superman (you can explain why if you want), but in the end, he is a superman. Maybe, we only need to throw Thrall in to Sargera's face and end all wow-problems. Doesn't matter why you write a plot to create a super-green-human-elemental-master-off-doom, the problem is that you created that character and now it's too much powerful. Warcraft story had a lot of powerful characters, but all of them died and become Heroes, but I thing Thrall it's the first one to accomplish such power and become a super-star and live (and have a wife and a son too).
    Are you hard of reading?

Jaina, Varian, Malfurion, Velen, hell, half the dam alliance cast are considered super humans, well the horde barely has any. Even its most powerful druid is out-shun by the alliances super human druid. So you complining about how Thralls got the status of super man, try taking a good long look at the entirely of the warcraft cast.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belisaurio View Post
    What powers does Thrall have that outstrip everyone else so much?

I'm sorry, I'm not a huge lore buff, but most people seem to spend their time complaining about Dragonsoul, where most of what Thrall did was due to having THE Dragon Soul, infused with the power of 4 Godlike aspects?

Other than that, what else has he done to warrant superman status? He seems pretty comparable to Malfurion / Jaina from what I've seen, but, as I say, I've not read all the novels.