Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    so because Thrall is regarded as the most powerful shaman where as Jaina has to conflict with who the most powerful mage is, that makes Thrall a sue to you because theres little else to compare to..
    You do understand the flaw in your logic right? There is a reason why lore characters become the central focus AND become the strongest of the kind.. BECAUSE THEY ARE CENTRAL TO THE STORY. What kind of long standing story is it when a character spends years learning and becoming stronger, only to become THE strongest of there kind, yet has people question why they became this way?

Do you know why bruce lee is regarded as the greatest martial artist to have lived? It wasn't because of movies made about him or being a household icon, like that dick chuck norris. Its becausehe actually worked, and trained, and spent every waking hour of his life perfecting his fighting skill. He was regarded as near unbeatable because of his years of training for a reason.
    You didn't read that last sentence then. I think he's overused. That whole scene didn't need Thrall there at all, it could have been resolved with Kalec showing up sooner, but oh no... Has to be Thrall that saved the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You didn't read that last sentence then. I think he's overused. That whole scene didn't need Thrall there at all, it could have been resolved with Kalec showing up sooner, but oh no... Has to be Thrall that saved the day.
    And again, you show how you are not acknowledging what the writers are giving you. Thrall was integral for a reason to that, because he began at the start of the story meeting Jaina, as he did in the shattering, and when the story came to this stage, Jaina was different, enraged, and it didn't just show how powerful she was in standing against Thrall, but also how there friendship was shattered because of all that had happened.

You honestly didn't get any of that from the story? I can understand your not invested in character development, but to the point you don't acknowledge how characters develop between each other?
    #boycottchina

And again, you show how you are not acknowledging what the writers are giving you. Thrall was integral for a reason to that, because he began at the start of the story meeting Jaina, as he did in the shattering, and when the story came to this stage, Jaina was different, enraged, and it didn't just show how powerful she was in standing against Thrall, but also how there friendship was shattered because of all that had happened.

You honestly didn't get any of that from the story? I can understand your not invested in character development, but to the point you don't acknowledge how characters develop between each other?

It's kinda true that Thrall have gotten a lot more attention from Blizzard when there are a lot of character that need development as well such as Malfurion,Tyrande,Velen,Baine and a lot more. It would feel a lot better if AA and Horde both play their role in DS and Thrall leads ER and Mal leads CC to eventually kill DW with The aspects's help. What we got is the xpac about Thrall's personal story and how he was destined to be hero and shit like that. I don't remember any Warcraft game that focus on individual hero. Cataclysm is the only one and it stands out.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-06-30 at 05:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    It's kinda true that Thrall have gotten a lot more attention from Blizzard when there are a lot of character that need development as well such as Malfurion,Tyrande,Velen,Baine and a lot more.
    and that is why he's only appeared in one quest and the start of the rebellion in mists, he is an important character, but blizzard has put him aside so the other characters can develop, Vol'jin, lor'themar, Jaina, Anduin.
    #boycottchina

It's kinda true that Thrall have gotten a lot more attention from Blizzard when there are a lot of character that need development as well such as Malfurion,Tyrande,Velen,Baine and a lot more.
    You mean like Blizzard did with Lor´Themar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    You mean like Blizzard did with Lor´Themar ?

The fact that Thrall still get even more screentime than Tyrande,Malfurion,Baine and a lot more after the xpac about him speak for itself.

The fact that Thrall still get even more screentime than Tyrande,Malfurion,Baine and a lot more after the xpac about him speak for itself.
    Thats because Varian soaks up all the screentime in your quests. How often did you see Thrall on alliance side in MoP that he still annoys you ?

Thats because Varian soaks up all the screentime in your quests. How often did you see Thrall on alliance side in MoP that he still annoys you ?
    I am not talking about AA or Horde here just Thrall in general and I am fine with Varian because it's his time. Do you see Tirion anymore after WotLK? Thrall went neutral and went back to the horde LOL and he still play an important role in the story. I would laugh so hard and cry after if it's Thrall again who finish Garrosh off.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-06-30 at 06:04 PM.

I am not talking about AA or Horde here just Thrall in general and I am fine with Varian because it's his time. Do you see Tirion anymore after WotLK? Thrall went neutral and went back to the horde LOL and he still play an important role in the story. I would laugh so hard and cry after if it's Thrall again who finish Garrosh off.
    I don't know who will kill Garrosh (if he dies at all) but Thrall certainly will be there and should be there. If any Lore character should be present in the Garrosh fight it's Thrall.
    And i guess Thrall will still be semi-neutral, at least i doubt he will be the new Warchief or in any leadership position, i bet he will return to Nagrand to raise his son or something like that.

And Tirion.. he was neutral for the whole of WoW... do you really want him be alliance ?

Oh and what does "AA" stand for in this regard ? I might have missed that abbreviation in WoW.
    Last edited by Yriel; 2013-06-30 at 06:16 PM.

I don't know who will kill Garrosh (if he dies at all) but Thrall certainly will be there and should be there. If any Lore character should be present in the Garrosh fight it's Thrall.
    And i guess Thrall will still be semi-neutral, at least i doubt he will be the new Warchief or in any leadership position, i bet he will return to Nagrand to raise his son or something like that.

And Tirion.. he was neutral for the whole of WoW... do you really want him be alliance ?

Oh and what does "AA" stand for in this regard ? I might have missed that abbreviation in WoW.
    and this is what people are talking about. Thrall is getting so much screentime that it's unfair. It's understandable for people to say that he is Metzen's alter ego. I am really doubt that what Metzen said was true when he said Mal was his favourite character because Mal hardly got any development outside of the books compare to Thrall.

and this is what people are talking about. Thrall is getting so much screentime that it's unfair. It's understandable for people to say that he is Metzen's alter ego. I am really doubt that what Metzen said was true when he said Mal was his favourite character because Mal hardly got any development outside of the books compare to Thrall.
    So you think it would be good storytelling if the mentor and the guy that put Garrosh in his position should not be present in the final confrontation with him ?

10+ Year Old Account

You raise a valid point. How much of this bitching about Thrall actually comes from alliance players who's excuse for hating him comes form saying they dislike how blizzard forced a horde character on the story and how they don't want to follow someone like that, yet all though wrath horde players were having to follow not only a human hero who was as neutral as Thrall, but his organiszation the same as the earthen ring, to the point that he finished the lich king off in the same way Thrall did deathwing.

Yet, when you bring this up, most alliance don't acknowledge tirion, despite being human, as an alliance character, yet will regard Thrall as a horde character, even when he wasn't standing for or fighting for the horde but with the earthen ring.
    #boycottchina

You raise a valid point. How much of this bitching about Thrall actually comes from alliance players who's excuse for hating him comes form saying they dislike how blizzard forced a horde character on the story and how they don't want to follow someone like that, yet all though wrath horde players were having to follow not only a human hero who was as neutral as Thrall, but his organiszation the same as the earthen ring, to the point that he finished the lich king off in the same way Thrall did deathwing.

Yet, when you bring this up, most alliance don't acknowledge tirion, despite being human, as an alliance character, yet will regard Thrall as a horde character, even when he wasn't standing for or fighting for the horde but with the earthen ring.
    Tirion is lot less AA than Thrall is horde. WotLK was also not about Tirion's personal story like Cata was about Thrall's. There was no quest chain about Tirion's life nor Tirion's wedding. Tirion has also never been an AA faction leader.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 07:13 PM ----------

So you think it would be good storytelling if the mentor and the guy that put Garrosh in his position should not be present in the final confrontation with him ?
    It still would be if he got defeated even before he reachs Garrosh because he atleast got to participate in it.

15+ Year Old Account
    oooh here we go again.

'Metzens durr durr mary sue durr durr I have no clue about story or development durr durr'
    How mature of you. I love how defensive you get over Horde. Just because you think you understand story better than everyone else doesn't mean you're right, even if your parents tell you so.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tirion is lot less AA than Thrall is horde. WotLK was also not about Tirion's personal story like Cata was about Thrall's. There was no quest chain about Tirion's life nor Tirion's wedding. Tirion has also never been an AA faction leader.[COLOR="red"]
    And yet people asked for Thrall to be developed as a character, because all he did was sit in orgrimmar doing nothing. they did develop him, and people now complain because they gave him focus and development.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    How mature of you. I love how defensive you get over Horde. Just because you think you understand story better than everyone else doesn't mean you're right, even if your parents tell you so.
    oh look, your countering my argument with your own brand of immaturity, how quirky.
    #boycottchina

And yet people asked for Thrall to be developed as a character, because all he did was sit in orgrimmar doing nothing. they did develop him, and people now complain because they gave him focus and development.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 09:04 PM ----------

oh look, your countering my argument with your own brand of immaturity, how quirky.
    Asking for development for Thrall was right but I remember noone asking for Thrall to act like protagonist of Warcraft with the xpac that is around him. There is a middle ground. The fight against DW should involve more people and organizations then the aspects and Thrall ONLY.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-06-30 at 08:24 PM.

and that is why he's only appeared in one quest and the start of the rebellion in mists, he is an important character, but blizzard has put him aside so the other characters can develop, Vol'jin, lor'themar, Jaina, Anduin.
    I think there's definitely a circle-jerk so to speak on hating Thrall because he's such a popular character.

Loved how they added in a little foreshadowing in his chat with Vol'jin before the Darkspear Rebellion. "Take care of my wife and son if anything happens." This is the most interested in and engaged with in a storyline in WoW in a long, long time.

Tirion is lot less AA than Thrall is horde. WotLK was also not about Tirion's personal story like Cata was about Thrall's. There was no quest chain about Tirion's life nor Tirion's wedding. Tirion has also never been an AA faction leader.[COLOR="red"]
    To be fair there are quite a few Tirion quests in Icecrown and you learned a lot about his personal story. Considering Thrall has like 8 quests in Cata including the intro... And while there has been no quests about his wedding there was a long quest chain about a funeral of one of his men that was quite personal.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, i like quests where you learn more about people and his quests were quite good but if you go by the numbers he probably has more presence in WOTLK then Thrall in Cata. And he even kills Arthas (sortof).

It still would be if he got defeated even before he reachs Garrosh because he atleast got to participate in it.
    Even if Thrall would get wounded at some point and would do some "Go on without me" scene it would be him heavily involved in the raid. The only way to deny him any progression would be to leave him out completely and that would really be stupid. .
    Last edited by Yriel; 2013-06-30 at 08:34 PM.

To be fair there are quite a few Tirion quests in Icecrown and you learned a lot about his personal story. Considering Thrall has like 8 quests in Cata including the intro... And while there has been no quests about his wedding there was a long quest chain about a funeral of one of his men that was quite personal.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, i like quests where you learn more about people and his quests were quite good.

Even if Thrall would get wounded at some point and would do some "Go on without me" scene it would be him heavily involved in the raid. The only way to deny him any progression would be to leave him out completely and that would really be stupid. .
    You mean the quest that you have to go to Alex and A'dal? That's not about Tirion at all. It was about Argent Crusade as whole.

10+ Year Old Account

Thrall didn't need more development, and much of the book is developing Jaina and Kalec (and Baine who is virtually forgotten in the game now. but had enough development and awesome thrown at him for me to seriously consider him as a potential new Warchief). The whole Thrall thing felt like an unnecessary side-story to bring in Thrall for the sake of bringing in Thrall. Yes, I get there's history and Jaina wanted to enlist his help to begin with, but he flat out rejected her pleas for assistance, telling her in no uncertain terms that the Horde is Garrosh's now and he was solely invested in his family and the Earthen Ring. Then, he has this vision and shows up to save the day? That's pretty weak. I get maybe the idea behind seeing what his inaction led to, but riding in as a saviour yet again wasn't the way to do it.