Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A Third Faction.

Hi guys, first of all let me start by saying that I'm not asking for a third faction. It will never happen in WoW and I'm okay with that.

Today I leveled my first Pandaren, I never cared much for them and I was very surprised with how much fun I had on the Wandering Isle.
    However when I finished the quests I was heartbroken because I HAD to choose a side.
    I play on both sides and I've learned to care for both of them, so it was a really hard choice to make, especially since I had to leave one of my companions behind (Aysa or Ji).
    Recently I've heard about groups of players that never left the Isle because of that same reason and now I know why.

So I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if maybe in a future WoW game many years from now we could choose between maybe three or four factions?
    I know it's a lot of work to build a game around three, let alone four factions and that it'll probably never happen.
    But if WoW could have three or more factions right now, what you guys would like to see?

*sorry about my english.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    Hi guys, first of all let me start by saying that I'm not asking for a third faction. It will never happen in WoW and I'm okay with that.

Today I leveled my first Pandaren, I never cared much for them and I was very surprised with how much fun I had on the Wandering Isle.
    However when I finished the quests I was heartbroken because I HAD to choose a side.
    I play on both sides and I've learned to care for both of them, so it was a really hard choice to make, especially since I had to leave one of my companions behind (Aysa or Ji).
    Recently I've heard about groups of players that never left the Isle because of that same reason and now I know why.

So I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if maybe in a future WoW game many years from now we could choose between maybe three or four factions?
    I know it's a lot of work to build a game around three, let alone four factions and that it'll probably never happen.
    But if WoW could have three or more factions right now, what you guys would like to see?

*sorry about my english.
    Not really, it's more likely that factions will be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Not really, it's more likely that factions will be abolished.
    Elaborate as to why you believe so?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by koawinter View Post
    Elaborate as to why you believe so?
    It's the only solution to unbalanced high pop servers (Silvermoon, Draenor etc.), because you can neither merge them nor split them.
    Besides many people don't want to be bound to certain factions just because they like a specific race. Worgen, Dark Iron Dwarf and Blood Elf comes to mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Third playable faction should be the Defias Brotherhood. This is actually one of my new expansion ideas that I've been kicking around for a long time, but I want to work all the kinks out before I post it in detail.

Wait...what? There are seriously players that just sit on the isle forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelkath View Post
    Wait...what? There are seriously players that just sit on the isle forever?
    Check this out: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leagent/simple

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    How is that possible? There are no dailies on that island, and eventually you run out of EXP from grinding mobs... and I'd assume you lose experience from gathering nodes too... is this from... pet battling via the tool?

10+ Year Old Account
    Baaack to the point. Yeah I can totally see a game where there is three factions. A world of starcraft comes to mind. Though with how units work.. I dunno how they would do that. Still, yeah. I can see a game with three warring factions
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    How is that possible? There are no dailies on that island, and eventually you run out of EXP from grinding mobs... and I'd assume you lose experience from gathering nodes too... is this from... pet battling via the tool?
    I think it's from gathering, though it must be at an agonizing speed.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Baaack to the point. Yeah I can totally see a game where there is three factions. A world of starcraft comes to mind. Though with how units work.. I dunno how they would do that. Still, yeah. I can see a game with three warring factions
    The biggest issue with adding another faction by now is "Where will they level up?", the current game world is split up between alliance and horde with some neutral factions inbetween them in certain zones (On Azeroth itself that means Goblin towns mainly), you'd also have to stick another airship in the air above Icecrown, it would require as much work as the Cataclysm old-world revamp did (Except more, because of Northrend, Outland and Pandaria needing updates too), and the Cata-revamp went over as well as a brick-hurling contest in a glass factory, so i doubt Blizz will take that risk again... :P

Blizzard would probably have to lift faction restrictions on guilds, raids, AH, etc. for it to be a viable idea otherwise it just segregates the player base too much and further reduces the pool of players you have available to play with.

Of course then Blizzard has the issue of having to write story for a third faction and they can't even handle 2 factions.

Yeah, I think the better idea would be just to break up factions altogether, at least for PVE purposes. You can have a bunch of races, that can declare allegiance to either Alliance or Horde for PvP purposes only. Basically what we used to have in SWG.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

The transition of players leaving to the new faction would be the biggest issue. Alliance and Horde numbers are already very unsteady on certain servers. Having it become even more unbalanced through joining a third party seems unlikely to happen.

The only way I could see it is if these factions weren't tied to Alliance/Horde, and were subfactions that were exclusive to each other, similar to Scryer/Aldor in TBC. This way you can have both Horde and Alliance characters joining these neutral subfactions and fight against the others, for whatever reason.

What if they just did away with the factions and had representatives from each race, like in ToC?

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    What if they just did away with the factions and had representatives from each race, like in ToC?
    That'd require them giving something to draenei, gnomes, and worgen and that's just not going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inb4 someone mentions the forsaken... they don't need any more self-aggrandizing delusions.

Anyway... a neutral faction would be interesting, but I think it'd have too great an affect on server population balances... PvP (particularly battlegrounds) would be tough to design as well.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    My first guess would be Recruit-a-friend.

Still, a third faction would be awesome. I'm not sure it would work without pissing off a large percentage of the playerbase, but factions could defect from the Horde and Alliance to create a third faction. 3 way battleground could be a cluster-fmess, but possibly incredible at the same time.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    The biggest issue with adding another faction by now is "Where will they level up?", the current game world is split up between alliance and horde with some neutral factions inbetween them in certain zones (On Azeroth itself that means Goblin towns mainly), you'd also have to stick another airship in the air above Icecrown, it would require as much work as the Cataclysm old-world revamp did (Except more, because of Northrend, Outland and Pandaria needing updates too), and the Cata-revamp went over as well as a brick-hurling contest in a glass factory, so i doubt Blizz will take that risk again... :P
    Blizz would find a way to do it if they ever decided to add a third faction. They could have them lvl in seperate new zones, they could rework just a few of the zones as the new faction would have a different storyline and exp required to lvl has decreased, they could make the faction a "heroic faction" and all of the factions chars start out at a higher lvl and after the starter zone would be caught up to the rest of the factions lvl, etc...

All old bgs would become caverns of time bgs and the new faction would be randomly put onto one side or the other. All new bgs would be balanced around 3 factions.

Not saying they will ever make a third faction but if they wanted to they could find a way to pull it off. But to be honest I wouldn't mind it if Slyvannas took half the forsaken and half the orcs, rezzed Garrosh and they started a new more evil faction.(give them some humans and dark iron dwarves while your at it.)
    Last edited by frogger237; 2013-06-29 at 09:12 AM.

I think if they split up the factions it would work much better, that way they can continue with the story without having to worry about *Boohoo* Horde gets more than Alliance! or Alliance get shinier docks!
    Would be awesome to just participate with the armies as cities get destroyed and forces move south from Undercity, make the game have a more mobile feel to it while giving it that WARcraft feel. I want to see main cities be destroyed, the map change...A progressive storyline.