Bad Parents ( within your family )

This is a rant just so you know from the outset .

I have a very close family member who is just a terrible father ( children are 2 and 4 ) . He is a drunk ...he feeds his children horrible food which will get them addicted to sugar and other junk food . He only spends time with them when he sees fit ( mother is main guardian ) . He does nothing to further their education ( since in this day and age it is very important to start as young as possible ) . I do what I can when im around but this guy does not even care a single ounce if they grow up to be trash . I have tried to suggest a few things to him but he says something like " let me worry about my own fucking kids " .. I just can't stand it though because they are my relatives also and I care about them . Does anyone else have family like this and if so have you ever found a way to do something ?

Deleted
    Those kids can join the shitty dad club; we have cookies.

What sort of junk food does he give them?

Quote Originally Posted by whathump View Post
    What sort of junk food does he give them?
    Potato chips , chocolate treats , pasta garbage like spaghetti and meat balls ....some might disagree with me on the diet because live the same life style .,...but anyone has to admit giving young children an American style diet can only lead to being fat and other problems .

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad was a drunk too, I didn't know until I was 11 or something. He lived alone and had an accident (fell off a roof, worked as a carpenter). so I had to take care of him in every single way. He died infront of me when I was 16.. So no real advice here. I like to think I turned out alright, despite all the horrible things I had to witness as a kid - Although I have to stop walking when I see a drunk, because it takes all of my energy to hate that person with a passion you wouldnt believe. That aside, I'm ok.
    I like juice

Instead of focusing on him being a bad father, try and help him solve his alcohol addiction first. If you care so much about your... young family members, we'll call them niece and nephew to keep it easy, then perhaps you should jut bite the bullet and tell him how it is. Will be the least of your worries if he gives you shit back. At least you have tried.

Do you know EVERYTHING that goes on behind closed doors, problems he might be having at home or at work? Perhaps he is just not cut out to be one of those great fathers that takes kids fishing, camping, skiiing, to play football down the park. Or perhaps he is a good dad in his own way? Just not your idea of a good father figure.

There's always two sides to a story, and in my experience there's no smoke without fire. Being a drunk/alcoholic would have required a trigger. How long has it been going on? And then why did it start? and how can it be slowed and stopped.

Perhaps he needs educating on healthy eating options for his kids, or perhaps spaghetti and meatballs is all he can cook, or even afford.

I have a... "crazy" sister, shes 46 now... and has an 11 year old, she still gets drunk and my niece is fully aware of this, my sister and her husband have their fair share of troubles at home, and who doesn't, her drinking is down to her being a party animal, for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest childhood memories is of her having to be picked up from a nightclub somewhere by my dad. I remember when she moved back home after he first divorce, she was banned from driving for drunk driving, she woke up after a night out, got ready for work, and got a Bacardi Breezer out of the fridge and had it for her breakfast. I think she has an alcohol problem. Is she a good mother... fuck yes. Would I tell her she is? I don't need to. Would I tell her she has an alcohol problem? I don't need to. My niece did a few months ago.

Support your family, don't write him off, you could be the one that he needs to turn things around. Help him and push him, even if he ends up hating you for it. If you care about the 2 little ones, it will be worth it.