Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] How is Man of Steel only 56% T-Mete on Rotten Tomatoes?

I was going over critics on Rotten Tomatoes and noticed that Man of Steel was only at 56%?! I went to the opening and I freaking loved the movie, at the end when the Credits rolled people got up and cheered... I don't see how it got 56% in my opinion.

Deleted
    IIRC RT critics have taste

Batman fanboys. Seriously though, it was a much better movie than that rating indicates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    I was going over critics on Rotten Tomatoes and noticed that Man of Steel was only at 56%?! I went to the opening and I freaking loved the movie, at the end when the Credits rolled people got up and cheered... I don't see how it got 56% in my opinion.
    do you think having lots of action and graphics and being "darker" makes a good movie? I havent seen this movie, but the people defending it remind me of the star trek 2 fans

Deleted
    if you go check out other movies you will see most reviewers give bad reviews if the movie is pure entertainment, if it has nothing to say about politics, liberalism or some anti religious stance it wont get a good review. Seeing as 99% of us go to movies to be entertained, I ignore all reviewers nowadays and look at what the people say.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Batman fanboys. Seriously though, it was a much better movie than that rating indicates.
    I'm a Batman fanboy, and I really didn't want to go see this movie. Not because I'm a huge Batman fan, but for a reason that doesn't really matter. But I went to see it anyway and I thought it was fantastic. I was really impressed. RT critics have a habit of loving the shit out of mediocre movies and hating movies that are good to great. It bottoms down to the public not being a pompous critic or having one's mindset.
    Proud Conservative and lover of guns, freedom and the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    do you think having lots of action and graphics and being "darker" makes a good movie? I havent seen this movie, but the people defending it remind me of the star trek 2 fans
    Star Trek 2 was a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    I'm a Batman fanboy, and I really didn't want to go see this movie. Not because I'm a huge Batman fan, but for a reason that doesn't really matter. But I went to see it anyway and I thought it was fantastic. I was really impressed. RT critics have a habit of loving the shit out of mediocre movies and hating movies that are good to great. It bottoms down to the public not being a pompous critic or having one's mindset.
    Actually, I was also not that interested to go see it and I do prefer the Batman story over Superman's. But just like you said, it was a great movie.

RT is a joke, look at user ratings on IMDB for a decent indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by IpswichBlues View Post
    if you go check out other movies you will see most reviewers give bad reviews if the movie is pure entertainment, if it has nothing to say about politics, liberalism or some anti religious stance it wont get a good review. Seeing as 99% of us go to movies to be entertained, I ignore all reviewers nowadays and look at what the people say.
    Wow.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Proud Conservative and lover of guns, freedom and the Constitution.

Was it a 90+? No way. It was a decent superhero movie though. When they give a movie like "Fast Five" a 70+ this makes their opinions extremely dubious to me. I think a lot of it has to do with critics being raised on the Christopher Reeves version of Superman and are blinded by nostalgia for things from their past.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me begin by saying I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel. It was a very human view of Clark, which I think is lacking from other movies. Going against villains of (near) equal power is a great way to showcase what makes him him beyond his alien physiology. I think it's a great example of this quote about Supes from Batman. I particularly enjoyed what I call, "Pa Kent's CMOA." Very powerful, I thought.

Now, that said, there were a couple issues. It seemed at times a little too disjointed with the flashbacks spliced around. I appreciate why they're there, and the scenes themselves are good; it's just the placement that's awkward.

Second, Lois talks about how she got brain-bugged (my term) while on the ship. I don't recall seeing this event happen at all, or any clue of it aside from her saying it happened. That's either my attention span dwindling, or poor writing. It would have been completely sufficient to gather the location of the Kent farm from Clark's head.

I also don't put a mess of stake in the opinion of critics to begin with, so there's that. Nobody cheered in my theater, but the guys in front of me did bitch when nothing played after the credits. I, naturally, laughed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Probably because they keep making these movies that don't even fit in anymore. They keep making these Batman and Superman type movies, when to be honest, they should have quit several years ago. I don't get how people are still being entertained by them.

Everything must and should come to an end. It's kind of annoying that they won't let these 'series' end

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    its was ok

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Let me begin by saying I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel. It was a very human view of Clark, which I think is lacking from other movies. Going against villains of (near) equal power is a great way to showcase what makes him him beyond his alien physiology. I think it's a great example of this quote about Supes from Batman. I particularly enjoyed what I call, "Pa Kent's CMOA." Very powerful, I thought.

Now, that said, there were a couple issues. It seemed at times a little too disjointed with the flashbacks spliced around. I appreciate why they're there, and the scenes themselves are good; it's just the placement that's awkward.

Second, Lois talks about how she got brain-bugged (my term) while on the ship. I don't recall seeing this event happen at all, or any clue of it aside from her saying it happened. That's either my attention span dwindling, or poor writing. It would have been completely sufficient to gather the location of the Kent farm from Clark's head.

I also don't put a mess of stake in the opinion of critics to begin with, so there's that. Nobody cheered in my theater, but the guys in front of me did bitch when nothing played after the credits. I, naturally, laughed.
    The point of Lois Lane's mind getting looked into was so that you know that's how Zod found Ms. Kent.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jomaty View Post
    Probably because they keep making these movies that don't even fit in anymore. They keep making these Batman and Superman type movies, when to be honest, they should have quit several years ago. I don't get how people are still being entertained by them.

Everything must and should come to an end. It's kind of annoying that they won't let these 'series' end
    So, I suppose you were entirely satisfied with the original Batman and Superman shows/movies? I really hope that's what you mean. You just made my night. /Duncecap

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Let me begin by saying I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel. It was a very human view of Clark, which I think is lacking from other movies. Going against villains of (near) equal power is a great way to showcase what makes him him beyond his alien physiology.
    This is one of the main themes in the movie and personally I enjoyed seeing Clark's development as a character. In fact the title "Man of Steel" itself is related to this point, not only does it reflect his physical prowess but it also describes his determination and firm attitude when presented to his challenge. I'm not sure whether the Superman symbol literally meant "Hope" in previous movies but that was a nice catch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomaty View Post

Don't fit in anymore? what the hell does that mean?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    Oh, that's quite easy to explain.
    See, when you go to see Man of Steel with some friends (of proved taste for good films), expecting an amazing and intriguing new take on the Superman franchise, yet you laugh uncontrollably throughout the whole movie, well, that's why it got such reviews.
    Ok, on the comedy gold front I must admit I haven't had such a good laugh since Alien VS Predator 2. In that case, we went in fully expecting something hilariously bad, but the point still is: Man of Steel is a movie that tries to be dark, serious, psychological, etc etc etc, but is swamped by comedic / wtfthatdoesn'tmakeanyfuckingsense moments that eventually tear down that pretense of seriousness.

You know a movie is failing when your suspension of disbelief is slowly shattered and turned into "Come on, make me laugh some more, show me some more fallacies or cheesy shots". Hell, I enjoyed the ride because the movie got tangled into its own nonsense the more the plot advanced, so that means I didn't even remotely waste the ticket, but it is by no means a good Superman movie. The original one, even with the hilarious time-goes-back-just-by-spinning-the-earth-in-the-right-direction scenes, would probably use Man of Steel to mop the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Star Trek 2 was a good movie.
    No it wasn't.

I liked the movie the only thing I hated about it was Superman killing Zod, I am off the old school and for me Superman doesn't kill.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT