Thread: Dodge fail

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Clearly double tapping is far more efficient than binding a whole key. Duh! It takes like not even a second to press a button twice, practically the same thing as pressing a button once!
    My sarcasm meter is in the red!

@fencers, it's impossible to not stop moving if you're dodging in the same direction as you are moving. If you're strafing left and want to dodge left your only option is to release the strafe left button and hit it again, which obviously results in stopping movement.

I ended up not binding a dodge key because I bound my skills to keys around the keys I use for movement (and thus dodging) in tandem with the mouse. All the keys I thought might work for a dodge bind ended up being better for my skills, and the ones that weren't used for skills were just awkward to hit so I kept it with the double taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    And that's what this is about Fencers. When you keybind dodge, there is no need not to stutter or stop moving. Not even by accident. Not even by rare occurrance. Not even by not being Fencers.
    One wouldn't stutter or stop when mouse driving- circle strafing and general movement is totally smooth. There is only herky-jerky movement by pressing the keyboard keys to move. I specifically pointed out mouse driving as part of the control schema. There is no stutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    There would be no controversy at all if you weren't trying to state that the way you decided to bind is empirically superior.
    This never actually happened, by the way.

I said I was against a dedicated key for dodging, explained why, compared a keybinding set with dodge from a known enthusiast of the genre, etc. Others don't agree w/ my POV, but I don't have an issue with an opposing stance on the matter.

However, I do maintain practicing movement with a respectable control setup is the best course learning for the OP. Which others are free to disagree with too if it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I ended up not binding a dodge key because I bound my skills to keys around the keys I use for movement (and thus dodging) in tandem with the mouse. All the keys I thought might work for a dodge bind ended up being better for my skills, and the ones that weren't used for skills were just awkward to hit so I kept it with the double taps.
    That's fine, nobody says you have to bind a dodge key.

The "problem" seems to be the same as the clicker vs key-bind debate. The clicker (double-tapper) is slower/less optimal than the binder but this isn't accepted by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One wouldn't stutter or stop when mouse driving- circle strafing and general movement is totally smooth. There is only herky-jerky movement by pressing the keyboard keys to move. I specifically pointed out mouse driving as part of the control schema. There is no stutter.

This never actually happened, by the way.

I said I was against a dedicated key for dodging, explained why, compared a keybinding set with dodge from a known enthusiast of the genre, etc. Others don't agree w/ my POV, but I don't have an issue with an opposing stance on the matter.

However, I do maintain practicing movement with a respectable control setup is the best course learning for the OP. Which others are free to disagree with too if it so.
    People pile on you because you come off as an arrogant cockgobbler.
    Just sayin'.

Please do not engage in flaming or name calling of any kind on the forums. -Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-02 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    When, if, GIANT WALL OF I"M RIGHT.

Noone mouse-drives. No-f-body. Excuse me.

Edit: Excuse me for this late edit.

Fencers, let me remind you, that you started this by saying:
    I am fairly against a dedicated key for dodge. Double tap is ideal
    Which you followed up with (freely, but closely, translated)

"[if you can't properly move you're a noob lol]".
    So when you come up with a statement like that, you would expect some resistance. I already pointed out in my initial response that this type of movement can only be used IF, WHEN, IF NOT THEN ELSE. In other words, only in exceptions of exceptions.

Which makes no sense, when your initial response nearly dictates the use of double-tap in general. But tiny list of exceptional cases in which one does use double-tap (mouse driving roflol) =! in general.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-07-02 at 12:48 PM.

What are you talking about? I drive my mouse frequently.

People pile on you because you come off as an arrogant cockgobbler.
    Just sayin'.

Please do not engage in flaming or name calling of any kind on the forums. -Fencers
    Wow.. you got infracted by Fencers, for saying something about him/her/it? Something seems fairly wrong here. Gotta love Fencers! disagree? Get infracted!

Short idea: People bash on you fencers because you went "OMG MY WAY IS THE ONLY SUPERIOR WAY! DON'T DO THAT? YOU A NOOB!" Ease up on your attitude and people might actually talk normally with you.
    Last edited by lanerios; 2013-07-02 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Wow.. you got infracted by Fencers, for saying something about him/her/it? Something seems fairly wrong here. Gotta love Fencers! disagree? Get infracted!

Short idea: People bash on you fencers because you went "OMG MY WAY IS THE ONLY SUPERIOR WAY! DON'T DO THAT? YOU A NOOB!" Ease up on your attitude and people might actually talk normally with you.
    He earned that infraction. If you can't see that, perhaps they should infract you too. Just for laughs and giggles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who cares what other people use? Use whatever set up is more comfortable for you. Clearly, from several post, quite a few people in mmo-c find it more comfortable to use a single keybind for dodging, instead of double tap. I know I do. I have on many occasions, especially on my ele, accidentally fell off ledges and such due to double tapping. I mean, seriously, why does anyone else's opinion matter when at the end of the day YOU are the one playing the game your way.

Imo, no one can really teach you how to dodge better. It is just something you have to figure out a way that works for you. you're not going to dodge everything, but the really hard hitting stuff usually have the most obvious tells. I'm really bad at dodging, so I just try to focus on dodging the hard hitting abilities since I know those are probably the only ones I'm going to be able to dodge. That's how I deal with playing as melee. Also, imo you don't -need- someone in melee. Kiting with range is perfectly ok, even in dungeons. Atleast that's what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post

I don't always agree with Fencers and she posts abbrasively quite often, but you guys want to turn this thread about dodging into a personal debate about Fencers. Give it a rest and move on.

If you think something like "arrogant cockgobbler" doesn't deserve an infraction, you're right, he shoulda gotten a temp ban since this thread has already had a warning and is fairly derailed.

And of all things, discussing mod actions isn't allowed either, so if there's a problem it should be brought up in messages!

To sum it all up. OP has his answer, fencers was out of line labeling anyone who has falling of a cliff for use of doubletap bad, other mods defend fencers blindly, but all argument was lost the second someone resorted to making uncalled for insults directed at fencers. This thread is dead and should probably be closed as the OP had their question answered so the only thing left to talk about is the free pass mods seem to get with the rules of posting considering they are the ones who initiated the derailing in the first place.

" Double tap is ideal [if falling off ledges due to double tap, one is playing video games poorly]."

I'd actually argue that Fencers is worse for using doubletap to dodge--and is delusional if they think doubletap is superior.
    Doubletap stops movement - if even for a tenth of a second, it's still inferior.
    If double-mouseclick moving, you're still doing 2 keypresses to do 1 thing; when there's an option to do 1 keypress.
    I have double click as dodge and I prefer the system as I control the direction of my dodge better. I disable it for jumping puzzles because it can trigger incorrectly when you are trying to get close to an edge. It has far more to do with preference than it has to do with efficiency, especially in a game as casual as GW2.

labeling anyone who has falling of a cliff for use of doubletap bad
    No one actually said or suggested this. Insisting upon an imaginary argument of 'lol bad noob' [as parodied above] is actual thread derailment.

Discussing control scheme or methodology is perfectly fine. Whether we agree or disagree with each other.

Debating moderator actions, insulting any users on the forum or consistently ignoring MMO-C guidelines is not fine.

- Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-03 at 02:43 AM.

" Double tap is ideal [if falling off ledges due to double tap, one is playing video games poorly]."

This is not a parody. it is a quote from you. One that clearly labels people who doubletap off cliffs and disable it as poor players.

" insulting any users on the forum or consistently ignoring MMO-C guidelines is not fine" And to that effect, you should probably rephrase your insult to fall within your own guidelines before going all boldchat.

Here, I will help. "I find doubletap ideal for me, it allows me to, insert happy argument for the use of doubletap here"
    Last edited by Binaris; 2013-07-03 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Derailing threads with discussion of moderation actions isn't allowed here. You're welcome to discuss the issue with Sunshine directly, but not in the thread.

This thread has run its course by this point. Closing