Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Saying "this is the last expansion ever" would be very risky. Sure, they'd get the attention of a few former players, but most of whom would just roll their eyes and say "I told you so, they're finally killing WoW." It would be off-putting to active subs too IMO; to my knowledge, even borderline-deceased games like Everquest still maintain the illusion of progress to sate their fans' appetites. Blizzard would be risking a lot to give their flagship cashcow a eulogy.

I came back for terribad Panda-land pet battle extraordinaire ... of course I'm coming back for an actual epic expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    the "legion" would make MoP the last expansion for me. i already hated BC.. and any sort of return to it would just about kill WoW for me. there is a very tiny chance they could entice me to stay. but im really not looking forward to it. as an expansion i know its coming.. just hope its later rather then next.
    "Hated BC"
    Has a Blood Elf signature
    ????

Wouldn't bring me back, (unsubbed since early Cata) I can already learn about what's going on through this website. Besides, WoW's not ending for a loooong time. EverQuest (a zillion years old and the grandaddy of MMOs, used to play it as well) just got an expansion last Fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I came back for terribad Panda-land pet battle extraordinaire
    Cos pet battles are really a big feature. Totally. I can't believe people are still referring to Mists like that at this point to be honest.

Deleted
    that would be saddest day in my gaming life
    I don't give a fuck about peoiple who left the game, I'm more interested what would loyas subscribers do, I think many of them would just quit.

why would you come to the game knowing it wont continue to be supported?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosk View Post
    You are crazy if you think WoW has 2 more expansions in it. It will last many years to come. Are you new to MMORPGs? for those of us that have been playing them for awhile we will remember ultima online, everquest, dark age of camelot just to name a few are all surviving after all these years on low sub numbers.

Subs down to 7 or 8M and you think the game is dead? out of your mind dude those games survive on around 100k or less subs. WoW has many more years in it yet. The day it's not profitable is the day they end it, till then they will continue to make expansions.
    Come on... Not one of those games is comparable to WoW in terms of the resources required to maintain and update. Additionally, take into account the fact that the lore that WoW is built on is part of a larger franchise. By sticking with WoW, Blizzard essentially hamstrings their ability to continue exploring that lore in a non-MMO medium. It will eventually get to the point where raping the lore will be the only way to continue milking the cash cow. Players have come to expect certain things from expansions: new races, new classes, and story-relevant endgame. That isn't a system that can be continued for very much longer without some increasingly questionable decisions and additions.

Expansions have been released roughly in two year increments. We've gotten 5 new races and 2 new classes with 4 expansions and already covered the two most popular antagonists (Arthas and Illidan). Lets say they continue for another 10 years (half of what you suggest). That's 4-5 more expansions. Tell me, are you really going to be that excited about what they're coming up with for Expansion #7 or 8?

WoW has already reached its peak, it will never go to 12mil subscribers again. Sub numbers started declining in early Cataclysm, got a slight boost when MoP was released, but then recommenced the downward descent at an even faster pace. That isn't a good sign considering the next expansion is at least one year away. Now don't get me wrong, however many million subs are left by that point will still be an admirable number in the world of MMOs, but the last time there were less than 8.5mil was in 2006.

Two more expansions TOPS. After that, additional content will be added as patches if at all. I imagine the servers will not be taken down completely for many many years to come (though realms will certainly be consolidated), and as such the game can be said to "survive" but at that point it will only be a shadow of its former self. It's completely natural that people eventually stop playing a game, and it's becoming harder and harder to bring new players into a game that has been around for so long. Another thing to consider is the fact that F2P games have grown tremendously in their ability to compete with the paid variety.

World of Warcraft is/was an excellent game and set a standard for all MMORPGs to come. Having said that, I really hope that Blizzard will do something new with the franchise by the end of the decade instead of catering to the people who would rather just play WoW for the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2013-06-30 at 03:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    why would you come to the game knowing it wont continue to be supported?
    to see how it all wraps up? to experience "the end" of wow would be something you could tell the grand kids about.
    Hi

Most people quit because the game got old and boring to them, or it went in a direction they didn't like (streamlined, casual world of queue-craft). I dont' think man people quit because of the theme. Pandas may have driven off a few, but not a lot most likely.

So no I don't think a "final" expansion would bring people back.

WoW is just old and most people who have played it are played out.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of unsubbed people usually comeback during either a new patch, or a new expansion. I know I would come back if I were to be unsubbed from the game and blizz announced the last expansion of the game.

One of the BIG reasons I quit playing is because I'm sick and tired of all the constant changes. I don't want to relearn everything over and over. When a new xpac would come out, play playtime would drop because it was a chore to relearn stuff.

If they announced no more xpacs, and more specifically no more CHANGES, I'd come back, because the game would finally be stable.

Stop making changes. Stop releasing xpacs. Just leave it alone and let me play without having to worry about all progress getting wiped.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Cos pet battles are really a big feature. Totally. I can't believe people are still referring to Mists like that at this point to be honest.
    In a world where some people honestly still believe the Earth is flat, the moon landings were faked, dinosaurs lived at the same time as man and that differences in human skin color actually makes them another species in some fashion, piddly things like that do not surprise me in the slightest.

Deleted
    For a short while maybe but I was planning to do it anyway. Since I don't really want to pay for it and still have 1 unused 1 month code (how long do these last anyway, its like a year old now:P), I'd probably use that with some free 7-10 days offer they usually send and say my final farewells.

It's not that I outgrew WoW or anything, I just want a more rewarding MMO where achievements (including gear and wealth) are a bit more permanent. I guess I just got tired of getting "helped" back to square one after every patch or taking a short break.

I thought it was common knowledge that this next expansion was going to be the last?

They announced it days ago. They plan for it to end by like 2015 and by then they hope Titan will be out or by 2016.

Thats their projected dates atleast.

Being the last expansion isn't of any importance to me. If the expansions offers cool features that are to my liking then I'll pay my subscription and start playing again. MoP didn't offer me that so I simply didn't buy it. The monthly subscription is also keeping me away from WoW for now, as I don't really want to pay any fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    the "legion" would make MoP the last expansion for me. i already hated BC.. and any sort of return to it would just about kill WoW for me. there is a very tiny chance they could entice me to stay. but im really not looking forward to it. as an expansion i know its coming.. just hope its later rather then next.
    so you didnt quit after Cata came out? or after MoP was announced? lel

How would a legion expansion kill WoW for you?

I dont think I would.

Since I skipped MOP Id have to go through it before I could start on the new exp

Blizz: Hey guys, we're making tons of profit still but we've decided to make one last expansion and then just end WoW... cuz we hate making all this money.

Yeah, words you'll never hear.