1. #1

    Do you think solo queue Arenas could work in a separate bracket?

    I think it could work the same way it works in Starcraft 2.

    When you solo queue in SC2, you come across guys who joined your game just to troll you and cause you to lose your game. You get guys who disconnect / never even show after the loading screen. You get guys who suck. And it still feels balanced because by the end of the season if you and another player both played 300 games, you both had your fair share of good players and bad players, as well as ideal comps, and vice versa. The better player however was generally able to pull off more wins, and win more impressively, and a rating is determined by this.

    While it could be an entirely separate bracket from pre-made Arenas, you could also have solo queues play against premades, but have it set up the way SC2 has it set up. Have 1800 rating as solo queue be the equivalent as 2K rating as pre-made queue etc. With enough participation you could even have bronze, silver, gold league etc.

    Would anyone else think this is fun, or is it just me?

  2. #2
    That is what skirmishes were. Yes, they were great.

  3. #3
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Laveen, Arizona
    Posts
    145
    Personally, I think it would be fun. It would give those without the means of building a team the ability to run Arena content LFR-style.

    But don't post this to the Battle.net forums, they will bash you left and right. Trust me, I tried.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That is what skirmishes were. Yes, they were great.

    Oh my God, that does sound amazing. Was it 2s, 3s, and 5s? Or just 3s?

  5. #5
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Laveen, Arizona
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That is what skirmishes were. Yes, they were great.
    I remembered doing a Skirmish in Wrath. I lost to a priest, but those were good times. Here is to hoping the Skirmishes will return and the solo Areana queues be introduced.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

  6. #6
    I would like it
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    The problem is warriors are not easy to kill like we were in cata and people are mad at that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Brian may answer differently, but I would say mages are hard to counter for average players but easy for great players.

  7. #7
    Blademaster Zigrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    41
    As has been written - in such solo que we would be getting random quality players. Thing is, in mentioned SC2 you can get things pretty much balanced because you can perform all required roles on your own, despite any odds. System you suggest would not work in state of game and with talent specializations we have now.

    Personaly, I am not a fan of "click to play" systems. Ofcourse, they prove to be good in general but they kill interaction and necessity to do your best and behave. I like curent Arena system, and the 5.4 one, if it goes live, will require little to none effort to find a "team" anyway. 5.4 one is as close as it can get to SC2 system without hurting the sense of community.

    On the sidenote, bring back Skirmishes

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrin View Post
    As has been written - in such solo que we would be getting random quality players. Thing is, in mentioned SC2 you can get things pretty much balanced because you can perform all required roles on your own, despite any odds. System you suggest would not work in state of game and with talent specializations we have now.

    Personaly, I am not a fan of "click to play" systems. Ofcourse, they prove to be good in general but they kill interaction and necessity to do your best and behave. I like curent Arena system, and the 5.4 one, if it goes live, will require little to none effort to find a "team" anyway. 5.4 one is as close as it can get to SC2 system without hurting the sense of community.

    On the sidenote, bring back Skirmishes
    What is happening that will suddenly make Arena teams easier to find? I currently have two people I can play with on my server, and we don't even like each other but play together due to lack of option. Is there some change I didn't read?

  9. #9
    Blademaster Zigrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    41
    The thing happening will be:
    1. Arena teams will be gone from UI (as of 5.4) - you will be able to group and play with anyone (also from CRZ), without inviting them to the team (as such teams will be gone),
    2. Virtual realms will be created (more people on small and dead servers).

    More information on both to come (regarding Arena, on Monday )

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrin View Post
    The thing happening will be:
    1. Arena teams will be gone from UI (as of 5.4) - you will be able to group and play with anyone (also from CRZ), without inviting them to the team (as such teams will be gone),
    2. Virtual realms will be created (more people on small and dead servers).

    More information on both to come (regarding Arena, on Monday )
    I didn't think about Virtual Realms, but I hope you're right, dude. Otherwise it's going to be even harder to find someone to play with because our ratings might not match up. Would be crazy if in 5.4 I had like six server's worth of players to group up with, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Knowing my luck VRs won't go live or something.

  11. #11
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    I think it could work the same way it works in Starcraft 2.

    When you solo queue in SC2, you come across guys who joined your game just to troll you and cause you to lose your game. You get guys who disconnect / never even show after the loading screen. You get guys who suck. And it still feels balanced because by the end of the season if you and another player both played 300 games, you both had your fair share of good players and bad players, as well as ideal comps, and vice versa. The better player however was generally able to pull off more wins, and win more impressively, and a rating is determined by this.
    If you are a good player yourself and say you play 5s, it means there are 4 spots for a troll/dc/leaver/whatever in your team and 5 spots for trolls/dc/leavers/whatever in the other team.
    (Totally not using the same logic which explains that elo-hell in LoL doesn't exist /sarcasm)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    If you are a good player yourself and say you play 5s, it means there are 4 spots for a troll/dc/leaver/whatever in your team and 5 spots for trolls/dc/leavers/whatever in the other team.
    (Totally not using the same logic which explains that elo-hell in LoL doesn't exist /sarcasm)
    I'm not really sure what your point is? 4 vs 4 is my favorite SC 2 bracket and the chance for troll/dc/leaver/whatever is fairly high there as well, but has never had a significant impact on my overall league placement. If anything it balances itself out because I win just as many games as I lose because the other team also has about the same amount of troll/dc/leaver/whatevers as I do, and I barely run into this problem at all once I make it out of bronze league.

    League of Legends does have problems with ELO, but at the same time, it's obviously not completely broken and still works so I'm not sure if that's the best example to use for why it wouldn't.

    Either way if it bothered players that much it could be a completely separate bracket, but it couldn't be any more broken than the current WoW ranking system. There is a reason why the same exact guys take Rank 1 every season for the last 8 seasons now. On Bloodlust they literally agree to share rank 1 with each other, and only queue against newcomers and not each other so they can bomb any non allied competition's ranking through the ground. Sometimes they even go so low as to use someone elses toon (same exact class as their main) to completely bomb other people's rating without having to risk a loss on their own teams. And then on my battlegroup the exact same guys sold rank 1 to a guy for $2,000 at the end of last season using the exact same tactics while piloting his toon.

    So I really don't think it's going to get any worse than it already is. If anything solo queue would probably show who was indisputably the best arena player in the world because it would be way more difficult to pull off these same exploits, and it's hard to say someone who played 600 games and had a 80% win rate "got lucky" a lot.

  13. #13
    Banned Ryan Cailan Ebonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Long Island New York, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Berraant View Post
    I remembered doing a Skirmish in Wrath. I lost to a priest, but those were good times. Here is to hoping the Skirmishes will return and the solo Areana queues be introduced.
    As much as people keep saying this I still agree with Blizzard on Skirmishes. It was a largely unused feature that was a complete waste of time. People would only queue 2's but 3's and 5's were completely dead.

    I don't understand what is difficult about finding two random people to play arena with. You don't need to play seriously all of the time.

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorine View Post
    Solo queue = bots
    Yes, and all bots would be sitting on a very low rating due mmr.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Yes, and all bots would be sitting on a very low rating due mmr.
    Is that before or after people solo queuing to play legit and being grouped up with bots and then whining on the forums ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •