Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It is an important part of the game, and surely your gpu is holding you back quite a bit; I'll assume a cheap upgrade isn't an option, it isn't always for everyone.

One of the options that can get overlooked is other players spell effects on hit. It isn't in the video settings, it is in the combat part (I think). That way you don't have 40 mage fire spell effects exploding on the boss at once, stuff like that. Removing any other things, like nameplates, health bars, etc. Maybe turn of reverb in the audio?

try to run in fullscreen. turn off aero and anything else that uses resources. No open browsers, etc.

Do you use a particular anti-virus, anti-malware, or are there any other programs running in background you can turn off (including music apps)? If you aren't browsing or opening any other files, you can shut down any anti-virus/malware/etc programs while running the game. Be extremely thorough. Using a program like CCleaner can show you what is running at start up and stop it ... things like updaters (adobe, flash, java, and google are really bad about this), other things like widgets, steam, launchers, boosters, desktop crap (bing desktop came with a windows update I think), itunes/quicktime/bonjour, etc.

Eliminating as many background processes as possible can only help.

No AA/AS. No shadows. If you can run WoW, you should be able to run this game.

Tera has a different combat style and look. Fencers says it works great on less than optimal machines, it always ran well for me, minus a few issues here and there that could've been anything because they weren't persistent and didn't happen the last time I played. It is a great F2P model.

The main thing holding you back, would be the number of cores on that gpu (48), by example, a 560 has about 9x that at a slightly faster clock speed. The game runs on a single core, and 2.6 GHz isn't the fastest, but isn't that bad either ... I still don't see your hardware restricting min settings with low quality render ticked ... it just isn't -that- bad.

You could technically run the game at the next lower resolution; even though you aren't at the levels a lot of us run, less pixels to create = less load.

publisher aeria games does a lot of f2p mmo type stuff ... some have fan service female characters, some are jrpg style. As much as people use the expression; there really isn't a lot of 'wow clones' out there. It is just a wow fanboy term used to bash any competition on the market for lack of knowledge or care to learn (as any fanboyism is; just like the console bickering in the past).

You could try to get into FFXIV beta and see if that can run on your system. It is also available (in beta as well) on the PS3 if you have one, same servers, same toons (you can play on your PC, then move to the console in another room and continue).

LotRO? Never played it, but it is f2p as far as I know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    try to run in fullscreen. turn off aero and anything else that uses resources. No open browsers, etc.

Do you use a particular anti-virus, anti-malware, or are there any other programs running in background you can turn off (including music apps)? If you aren't browsing or opening any other files, you can shut down any anti-virus/malware/etc programs while running the game. Be extremely thorough. Using a program like CCleaner can show you what is running at start up and stop it ... things like updaters (adobe, flash, java, and google are really bad about this), other things like widgets, steam, launchers, boosters, desktop crap (bing desktop came with a windows update I think), itunes/quicktime/bonjour, etc.
    Did that. Guess i'l live with it.

Neverwinter, GW2 and Tera for combat, all three seem to run on quite low end machines if my very old and still not updated PC is anything to go by.

Outside of that? Eh. That said the original Guild Wars still has a lot to offer, though it's not an open MMO. The Secret World doesn't look that intensive, really, and I hear it has some creative systems. Warhammer Online even had its moments. despite any flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Neverwinter, GW2 and Tera for combat, all three seem to run on quite low end machines if my very old and still not updated PC is anything to go by.

Outside of that? Eh. That said the original Guild Wars still has a lot to offer, though it's not an open MMO. The Secret World doesn't look that intensive, really, and I hear it has some creative systems. Warhammer Online even had its moments. despite any flaws.
    I think for TSW you will be needing improvements. I guess a final option could always be Maple Story?

Really, your options are either World of Warcraft, upgrade your damn system, or try any of the countless, nondescript Asian MMORPGs that get released once a month, but they're usually buggy, terribly imbalanced, and grindy as hell.

Rift takes a beast to run at higher settings, but it shouldn't require much to run on low settings. If your system can't handle it, there's not a whole lot of options for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

have you tried online chess?
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    People still play GW 1?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
    People still play GW 1?
    I haven't actually *played* it in ages, but I log in every now and then just to see whats going on, see if my toons got birthday presents and such, and there were still tons of people milling about in Kamadan, and my guild roster always shows at least a few people who were "last online" within 1-3 days.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If his comp can't even run Rift on the lowest settings i'm not sure why everyone keeps trying to saying TERA would be any better, last I checked TERA blew away Rift even on lowest. But ya If you're having trouble even on lowest settings it's about time to upgrade especially if you're trying to get into newer f2p mmos most of which are Rift quality graphics if not higher.

Tera is a highly optimized game despite it's astonishing fidelity for an MMO. Highly optimized.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm always shocked to see no one ever suggests Lord of the Rings Online [LOTRO]. IMHO, it's the best F2P MMORPG out there by far. Give it a try past the first 10 levels and you'll get hooked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your done with wow but you want a wow clone ummmmmmmmm yeah ok
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
    pc specs here:
    Windows: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
    Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16421
    Memory (RAM): 4096 MB
    CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    CPU Speed: 2608.3 MHz
    Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti |
    Speakers (Avnex Virtual Audio D |

Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 | NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
    Monitors: 1x; Generic PnP Monitor |
    Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
    Network: Network Present
    Network Adapters: Spotflux TAP Device Driver | TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 (Tunngle) | NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    CD / DVD Drives: 2x (G: | H: | ) G: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH15F | H: DTSOFT BDROM
    Ports: COM1 LPT Port NOT Present.
    Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
    Hard Disks: C: 59.9GB | D: 200.0GB | E: 335.7GB | F: 335.8GB
    Hard Disks - Free: C: 16.6GB | D: 32.6GB | E: 59.6GB | F: 59.5GB
    USB Controllers: 2 host controllers.
    Firewire (1394): Not Detected
    Manufacturer *: American Megatrends Inc.
    Product Make *: System Product Name
    AC Power Status: OnLine
    BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 04/29/10 | ACRSYS - 20100429
    Time Zone: GTB Standard Time
    Battery Status: No Battery
    Motherboard *: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N68-AM SE2
    Host Name: WOLFZ-PC
    SM BIOS: 1409

I just want a wow clone with shit graphics that's it's casual and not p2w.
    4 GB or RAM with running Windows 7 64 bit?
    Try doubling your RAM.

Deleted
    2.6 gHZ dual core processor in a game which demands quite a bit from from a CPU and isn't fantastically optimised in that regard. A GPU which, to be honest, was a poor card in 2009.4 GB or RAM running W7. I'm not one for "get a better system" comments but your system really could use upgrading. An investment of a few hundred pounds would provide a system which while not great by today's standards would still be a significant improvement on what you are using. If upgrading your system for the time being is out of the question I would suggest readdressing your expectations; WoW like games which are not WoW but provide the kind of performance that you are looking for are basically limited to games that are older than WoW which I'm guessing is a thing that you are not looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    The Secret World doesn't look that intensive, really, and I hear it has some creative systems.
    Screenshots don't do TSW justice and the Funcom engine is a beast in terms of demands. If his system could open TSW it would be to a slideshow. Not sure how it runs on lower settings, but the engine is a pure resource hog so I don't imagine it makes much difference in that regard. Certainly not with that graphics card he has.

Screenshots don't do TSW justice and the Funcom engine is a beast in terms of demands. If his system could open TSW it would be to a slideshow. Not sure how it runs on lower settings, but the engine is a pure resource hog so I don't imagine it makes much difference in that regard. Certainly not with that graphics card he has.
    TSW is very difficult to run on semi-decent settings I have found. Were it not for TSW's unreasonable system demands, I would be most happy in TSW of all current MMOs.

I have a rather good PC [I can run Rift nearly at Ultra smoothly], but on the lowest settings in TSW the game returns like 12 fps. It's unreal. Creatively, the game is among the best MMO made this decade. Performance is not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tera is a highly optimized game despite it's astonishing fidelity for an MMO. Highly optimized.
    yeah actually Tera runs better for me than Rift does

and I would say that if you are having trouble running Rift, TSW will eat your computer alive

Try FFXIV. Thought, u need key for present beta, but open beta begins next month follow by release on August 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    2.6 gHZ dual core processor in a game which demands quite a bit from from a CPU and isn't fantastically optimised in that regard. A GPU which, to be honest, was a poor card in 2009.4 GB or RAM running W7. I'm not one for "get a better system" comments but your system really could use upgrading. An investment of a few hundred pounds would provide a system which while not great by today's standards would still be a significant improvement on what you are using. If upgrading your system for the time being is out of the question I would suggest readdressing your expectations; WoW like games which are not WoW but provide the kind of performance that you are looking for are basically limited to games that are older than WoW which I'm guessing is a thing that you are not looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

but Rift only uses 1 core; so if they keep everything else off (including things like anti-virus, which you don't really need when not browsing/downloading ... and some of them are resource hogs), it won't matter much. 2.6 is meh, but should handle low settings fine.
    the gpu is rough. very limited amount of cores ... compared to mine, I have 6x the cores at a slightly faster speed (560 Ti).
    4GB ram is fine, for the same reasons as the processor; as long as they keep everything else shut down, they'll have plenty to run the game on min.

I assume they can't upgrade (too young, no job, etc), but if that isn't the case, I know about a year or so ago, I got 16 GB of matched RAM that can OC to 2100 (4x4GB) or something like that for my wife's PC for about $90 from newegg ... so I imagine some basic 8 GB stuff would be $40 or less; even less if they only have 1 4GB stick now, and a slot open to throw in another.
    You can get a much better gpu from the clearance/low end rack than the one they have ... for about 50-100. Anything with more cores for more throughput.
    So basically, anywhere from $50-$150 would get their current PC able to do more than min settings ... but without an investment; trial and error with that machine based on suggestions will be the only hope they have.

I do have an issue, as someone else stated; looking for a 'wow clone' that isn't wow, because they are 'done with that game' makes little sense. And I don't think -any- game on the market is a wow clone, that is just a bullshit statement and trollbait; which I'm still unsure of the OP's intentions; but the discussion in the end, could help someone else, specifically lurkers and the scared-to-post types who are running lower end machines or considering MMO options. The tone and how things are said make me question ... 'eny game'; 'swtor you have to buy stuff' (you don't); 'wow clone with shit graphics that's casual'; 'people still play gw1' as a short one liner, no discussion involved or opinions, after the thread was quiet for two days.

I know I could and probably am wrong; intention is hard to decipher on the internet when not clear ... but there are patterns to these things even the softer ones tend to show.

I wish I could offer advice on if FFXIV would be good for a crap PC; but my wife and I's PCs are nearly identical minus the 8 vs 16 GB ram and my 2500k is OC'd to around 4.6 GHz, hers isn't, and it runs well on a decent PC, and runs pretty good on the PS3 (which would make it hopeful for older PCs to possibly play it).

Tera is optimized well. It looks pretty but is designed in a way it isn't overloaded. You also have the ability to leave a crowded 'instance' of the zone for a less populated one ... so if player density is part of the problem, as it seems to be for the OP, you can just go to a low density instance of the world, which there always seems to be one or more available of (unlike SWtOR, whose system actively tries to keep the number to a minimum to keep a higher density, and will prevent you from switching if it is currently trying to merge/shut down the low populated instance of a planet because the other is no longer full).

I only played EQ2 for a few levels; all the pay to unlock (races, classes) left a bad taste in my mouth, but it didn't seem like a bad game, and it has a wide range of settings ... to the very extreme, settings that will make a decent PC shed tears of pain and agony. EQ(1) I have no idea, but it is older than wow, so it may be an option if it is still running ... though I don't think it is the best for a 'casual' if what I recall people saying is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    Maybe try Runes of Magic or Allods Online
    I thought RoM was pretty much P2W?