3770k extremely high temps on anything above 4.3Ghz

I'm overclocking my 3770k, and for some reason when I go above 4.3Ghz, my temps go insane in prime95.
    I tried a 4.5Ghz overclock at first, but I bluescreened right away. Probably needed more voltage, or my chip is just very bad.

So I tried 4.4Ghz. It seemed stable. But when I ran prime95 my temps would shoot up to 91-94c, and would probably go higher if my AC wasn't on. This is on a hyper 212+ with a corsair SP fan, in a HAF X case. So I tried 4.3Ghz, ran prime and my temps don't go above 80c. They stay around 70-79c. Would probably go into 80-85c if I ran prime all day though. It seems rock solid right now.

I set my voltage to 1.25 when I started with 4.5Ghz and 4.4Ghz. But I've now since lowered it to 1.2. LLC is on ultra-high(asus z77 mobo).

What is the deal here? bad bios settings? BTW I live in Texas and it's summer time, so it's hot as hell right now.

Here are pictures of my BIOS settings:
    http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6833/1pxr.jpg
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6914/nm94.jpg
    http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4493/9wir.jpg
    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3191/682x.jpg
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2013-06-30 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are your idle temps? Ambient temperature is a pretty huge factor. It's currently 110*F here right now, and at 4.5ghz my Prime95 gets to about... 85*C. Because I don't let the house get above 73*F
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What are your idle temps? Ambient temperature is a pretty huge factor.
    Idle at 4.3Ghz(1.6Ghz idle) is 35c.

The cores vary between 26c-38c.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems a little high to me, what i would do is take it all out, give it a good clean and reapply of thermal paste, could just need reseating
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Yeren View Post
    seems a little high to me, what i would do is take it all out, give it a good clean and reapply of thermal paste, could just need reseating
    Idle temps are normal to me. On my 2500k I had the same idle temps. It's 90-100 degrees everyday so far where I live, so I would consider my temps fine.

It's the load temps that are weird. From 4.4Ghz to 4.3Ghz, my load temps drop by 10-15c. It's either typical ivy bridge, or something is obviously wrong

15+ Year Old Account
    That's typical Ivy Bridge really, when Intel made em, they skimped out and used cheaper, less efficient thermal paste for fixing the heat spreader to the processor die, instead of the solder flux they used on the Sandy Bridge and previous chips.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Quote Originally Posted by Jakerel View Post
    That's typical Ivy Bridge really, when Intel made em, they skimped out and used cheaper, less efficient thermal paste for fixing the heat spreader to the processor die, instead of the solder flux they used on the Sandy Bridge and previous chips.
    Thanks for mentioning this. I haven't OC'd my Ivy Bridge CPU so I had no reason to check my cpu temp yet. Idling at 85C...ouch! Went and bought myself a new cpu cooler to get my temperatures down to something a bit more normal