Deleted

How are hunters doing these days?

I think I want to level a hunter. I had one in wotlk but back then I wasn't really into it that much. I have been watching few youtube videos and so far they seem like a fun class.

What I hope hunters are:

1. Fun to play.
    2. I never want to sit and wait for my spells to go off CD. I don't want to rely on proc damage like ele shammys.
    3. If movement is in it, I would live it even more, like ele shammys can cast lighting bolt while moving.
    4. I wonder if the hunter has many spells to manage which makes you not getting bored of it too quick. Since I have compared to ele shammy I might as well do it again. Ele shammys are boring because you are waiting for your lava burst while casting 2 other spells. boring, boring and boring.

5. What spec is the most fun in your opinion and why?

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Its dull and boring in mop im affraid , all 3 specs play exactly the same, theres nothing to menage exept during opener to maximize dmg with rediness , but that is going away too in next patch. I was playing hunter since early tbc and loved it... mop made me reroll, sad days.

Deleted
    Not really in the mood to write a big post, so I'll just quickly comment on your 4 points.

1. Subjective of course, but there is a good reason everyone either mains a Hunter or has a Hunter alt. It's one of the most played classes in the game, which of course is slightly skewed by people wanting an ''easy'' class.
    2. You will never wait for anything without doing anything. Granted you are mainly filling in spells between your cooldown abilities, but you are always pressing a button or casting something.
    3. Hunters can move while attacking. We are not a caster class, we are more of a ranged melee. The only exception is a talent which no one in PvE takes.
    4. Last time I played an Elemental Shaman was in early Wrath of the Lich King up to level 40-something, so I can't really compare anything. Unfortunately Hunters are mostly like that. Apart from your cooldowns and ''medium'' timer cooldowns (15 sec Glaive Toss, 30 second Dire Beast/Fervor, 24 second Black Arrow etc) you are casting Cobra Shots, Arcane Shots and your spec's signature shot like Kill Command or Explosive Shot. It's not quite mindlessly casting however, you are constantly using and replenishing your resource (focus) and calculating whether you can or can't squeeze in this extra Arcane Shot before your next Kill Command comes off cooldown. You have plenty of things to watch and look out for, you're not just casting things because they deal damage like Lightning Bolt.

Feel free to correct me on that last sentence if it's wrong, like I said I never played an Elemental Shaman.

As for number 5,
    I love all specs, although I dislike Survival the most if you can even call it that. While all specs use sort of the same abilities, I still feel they are different enough to provide a different playstyle. I could write a book on every spec on why I like that spec, but as I said at the top of my post I'm not really in the mood to write much. I hope this sort of helped you out with your decision anyway. Only advice I can give you if you want to give Hunters a try, is that you don't get any of the fun stuff until very late. Don't give up too soon as most of the interesting things come from high level talents and passives.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I hope hunters are:

1. Fun to play.
    They are. Have been playing one since i've started in tbc. Never switched mains

2. I never want to sit and wait for my spells to go off CD. I don't want to rely on proc damage like ele shammys.
    There's always something to cast. It's about focus management. You need to have enough focus to not delay your signature shot, but you dont want to pool your focus either. You have to find the right balance between spells. That priority makes it a really interesting playstyle imo

3. If movement is in it, I would live it even more, like ele shammys can cast lighting bolt while moving.
    Hunters are one of the most, if not the most mobile ranged class right now. Very amazing

4. I wonder if the hunter has many spells to manage which makes you not getting bored of it too quick. Since I have compared to ele shammy I might as well do it again. Ele shammys are boring because you are waiting for your lava burst while casting 2 other spells. boring, boring and boring.
    Hunters have lots of abilities, lots of macroes and keybinds if you want to play them to their full potential, especially in pvp.
    That being said, survival consists of about 7 spells you regulary use. Your opener is the most important, though after that you can still screw up

Haven't really played MM this expansion so can't really tell you about that. I think beast mastery is quite boring, the rotation is boringboringboring. While it gives me some nice numbers. It's imo not the most fun spec to play.
    I like survival the most, it's the most versatile and least boring spec.
    That being said, I sort of agree with bluesftw. Blizzard is making hunters less fun every patch it seems.

-Outdated class- some Mechanics/spells are old and dosen't fit the game anymore, feel like u play a class that belongs to TBC not Mop.
    -The worse Range dps class - Boomkins, Spriest , Locks , Mages all beats us.
    -One of the worse scaling class- you might start strong in a tier (or more accuratly in mid tier patch, 5.1/5.3 etc) but your friends will pass u with new gear
    -Getting Hotfixed every 3 weeks - ull notice too many changes , most are because blizzard fail to balance PVP.
    -As metioned above all specs feel the same (unlike other classes)

to sum this - for an Alt it would be nice, but u will feel frustration and neglected if u choose to play it as a main char, thats how i feel at least..

10+ Year Old Account
    How hunters are these days? Why, thank you for asking. I'm just fine, how about you? I must say I felt a bit underappreciated for all the wild hunts I venture on with, but... It's these kinds of posts that really makes one's hunt worthwhile you know...

What I hunt? Well, I wouldn't be a hunter if I had a wide specter of things, no? Mostly, I hunt women. I started chasing skirts, but... I wanted to be a REAL hunter. So I went for the women instead. In my sparetime when I'm not hunting them, I usually go into the woods with my father and hunt wild animals. We're always having a blast there with a double-barreled shotguns and cozy breaks with some coffee on a thermocan now and then.

However, when I play WoW, I hunt for treasure, and I sometimes fish for pirate booty. One's hunt never ends, you know... Recently started a druid on a RP server. Was quite the wild hunt there as well as I met a feisty woman... Will take a while to tame her, if you know what I mean. *Wink*

OT: I have no idea... I think Survival hunters are doing quite good, but... I heard Beastmaster hunters is the shizzle these days.

I find hunters kinda boring.

Every shot looks like arcane shot, behaves like arcane shot, does almost the same damage per focus like arcane shot.

Where's wotlk Chimera Shot? It was "double shot" for the most time or it could disarm, etc... >.> Now it's just.. Arcane Shot with twice the focus cost, twice the damage. And a cooldown. Whoa...

Deleted
    If you want to know how hunter's are doing, I highly recommend reading this thread right here.
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who would rather be playing something else at the moment.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Not really in the mood to write a big post, so I'll just quickly comment on your 4 points.
    1. Subjective of course, but there is a good reason everyone either mains a Hunter or has a Hunter alt. It's one of the most played classes in the game, which of course is slightly skewed by people wanting an ''easy'' class.
    I find hunter's being an 'easy class' to be a big misnomer. If you look at adequate play through correct rotations/priorities, several other ranged DPS trees are much easier to play (Fire, Affliction, Shadow, and Elemental all, in my opinion, have much easier priorities and/or rotations than do any of the three hunter specs).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    Its dull and boring in mop im affraid , all 3 specs play exactly the same
    Its one thing to have an opinion, its another to spread nonsense like this. BM plays nothing like Surv or Marks, at all.

IMO, Iamcute, hunters are amazing this expansion. For the first time since vanilla, I prefer another class (hunter) to my warrior.

The only downside? Hunters have been nerfed a lot because of being incredibly powerful in PvP, which creates the 'into the ground' stigma. Thankfully I'm not a FOTM reroller, I stuck with my hunter and still do wicked dps.

Oh and there's a lot of buttons to manage (particularly as BM), but I for one love that playstyle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe-Arathor View Post
    If you want to know how hunter's are doing, I highly recommend reading this thread right here.
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who would rather be playing something else at the moment.
    Problem with the post you link is that a lot of peoples' definition of fun begins and ends with 'am I overpowered?' which is stupid. Overpowered inevitably gets nerfed: underpowered inevitably gets buffed. It may not be as slow/fast as some of us like, but it happens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TKM View Post
    I find hunter's being an 'easy class' to be a big misnomer. If you look at adequate play through correct rotations/priorities, several other ranged DPS trees are much easier to play (Fire, Affliction, Shadow, and Elemental all, in my opinion, have much easier priorities and/or rotations than do any of the three hunter specs).
    But think of it from the more casual player's perspective. You get a turtle, you put it in tanking spec, and you just auto-shoot mobs while your turtles does everything for you. Hunters are also very easy to recover from if you make a big mistake. Used an Arcane Shot instead of Kill Command? No problem, one Cobra Shot and then a Kill Command and you're about even compared to when you did everything perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    As all ways the beast class in the game . We are doing better then we have ever been seen they finally fixed the WotLK 3.1 nerfs. Though you might want to know that 5.4 will bring nerfs.

Hunters are a very fun class to play, Ive been a survival hunter since I started playing in BC and loved every minute of it. Its a class thats easy to play but difficult to master. You can find lots of hunters around but its really hard to find good hunters. The problem with a lot of people playing hunters is that A they dont really manage their pet so they think the pet aspect is boring and they dont take the time to really find out about thier class. DPS wise we are where we are supposed to be even though a lot of people feel we are low but every dps spec thinks that. There is a lot of cooldown management on the BM side and depending on your build there is a lot of focus/dot management on the other specs. We are slightly behind DK's on stuff we can solo due to mechanics. Learning how to play a hunter made learning other classes a lot easier in my opinion. PVP we are very competitive. All three specs play very differently and at the end of the day its all about what you like to do.

1. Fun to play.
    It depends solely on what your definition of "fun" is. If being able to jump around and do your full rotation is fun then ya we are fun. If pulling 15 mobs and MDing them on your pet and aoeing them all down is fun then yes they are fun. If doing competitive dps beyond LFR or normal modes is fun then no they arent fun.

Well yes and no, you have some short cds but with cobra/steady your always casting

Hunters do full rotations while moving. (some think that is why our dps is so low compared to non moveable casters)

You have a tone to do with the opener for BM, the normal priority is more things to manage than Ele but if not by much depending on how you talent.

SV has always been my favorite because it just always seemed and seems to flow best.
    Last edited by Larry01; 2013-07-08 at 02:37 PM.

I'm mostly playing mine because I'm so invested into this character (been my main since early 2005). If I wanted to maximize my dps, I would not be playing this class. That being said I still have fun with it. I just wish we weren't the red headed step child of DPS classes. By far the hardest class to balance for PVE and PVP simultaneously. Our current state is.... uninspired. Specs have been homogenized so much and our shots have been leveled out (damage wise) that it can feel kinda bland at times, like you aren't well rewarded for playing perfectly. They really need to do something with that arcane shot spam problem (which will be worse in 5.4 unless numbers change). I'm really envious of all the attention warlocks got with their revamp. That class overall is the coolest in the game right now (IMO).