Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So I haven't been back for that long question on pet holding aggro on old raids..

So I'm going through old raids... And even though I have my pet set to tank spec, and I constantly MD to my pet. Mobs don't stay on my pets... Why is this and when was it changed?

I can't remember this a bit, but all i knew that some raid bosses are not tauntable by pet ability so yah pretty much u have to md alot

You need to give us a bit more information than that.

What raid? What mobs? What spec are you?

Are you AOEing like crazy and pulling adds? Are you pulling your pet's main target?

It doesn't matter if it's Mobs, or Bosses, It's happened so far in Kara, and BT.
    I'm level 90, and so far it's done it in Surv, and MM spec. I use the MD glyph while solo'ing and macro it so I'm constantly casting it when it's available on my pet and I still take aggro.

Main issue is I'm trying to do the Reliquary boss in BT and 2nd phase I always get pwn'd...

Aura of Desire rapes me...
    Last edited by BraiNSlobbeR; 2013-07-01 at 08:13 PM.

Deleted
    If you are using it on cooldown you should effectively have a near 0 vengeance from attacks (as every attack would go the pet) so it seems strange that you would get aggro.

Does it work outside of raids?
    Have you tried it without the glyph?
    Have you tried it without a macro?

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    If you are using it on cooldown you should effectively have a near 0 vengeance from attacks (as every attack would go the pet) so it seems strange that you would get aggro.

Does it work outside of raids?
    Have you tried it without the glyph?
    Have you tried it without a macro?
    It works fine on things that are closer to my level. Cata dungeons works fine, MoP outside mobs/dungeons/raids etc.

It seems like anything below Wrath don't care about my pets aggro.. Which as a note I can't really test on non-bosses for things that low as stuff usually dies instantly besides bosses..

Edit: Actually just tried in BT on a Bonechewer Behemoth. MD and Pet taunted and I spammed DPS and I never took aggro and when it died I have 5% aggro. So it's just bosses.

Edit2: finally was able to clear that boss... Just have to stop dps when I get low health and let myself regen with Spirit bond enough to keep doing damage.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 04:38 PM ----------

So did a little more research and it turns out 5.1 patch broke pet taunts for BC, and Wrath raids...
    Last edited by BraiNSlobbeR; 2013-07-01 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    I've recently started soloing again since cata and I've noticed this as well, I think the reason behind it is, growl used to be a fake taunt which just generated a lot of threat, so if they already have aggro the pet will generally keep hold of the mob/ boss but now that it's a real taunt which doesn't work on bosses, it's quite easy to out tps a pet, even if it's bm

Though the good news is in 5.4 growl a long with the taunt effect it causes the pet to generate 200% more threat for X amount of seconds.
    So I imagine these threat issues will be lesser if not gone by next patch.

Thing is though my pets don't even use Growl on the Raid bosses in Wrath or BC raids. I was on Illidian last night and he would use Growl at all. I had to manually hit it and even then it did nothing.

But when I got to 2nd phase with the Flame elementals he growled those and kept them on him with no issues what so ever.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BraiNSlobbeR View Post
    Thing is though my pets don't even use Growl on the Raid bosses in Wrath or BC raids. I was on Illidian last night and he would use Growl at all. I had to manually hit it and even then it did nothing.

But when I got to 2nd phase with the Flame elementals he growled those and kept them on him with no issues what so ever.
    It's simply a matter of if the target is immune to the Taunt effect, or not. Doesn't matter if it's a TBC boss or a MoP boss. It is annoying though, but constant MD should work just fine for almost all bosses.

You mentioned the Reliquary boss in BT. In some phases that boss does not work by threat, which is why the pet wouldn't tank for you regardless of any growls or MDs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BraiNSlobbeR View Post

I thought the problem was MD and not growl? Pet taunts and hunter disengage no longer work on bosses, they should work fine on trash though. MD should work on anything.

Just use glyph of misdirection and macro it to arcane shot. It has no focus cost and is off the global cooldown, so there's no problem with spamming it.

Deleted
    Regarding 2nd phase of RoS in BT, the boss deals damage equal to the damage dealt to it so if you're nuking too hard you'll kill yourself, nuke it a bit then wait for spirit bond to do it's thing then nuke some more. Better yet, go BM, heal your pet & let it do most of the damage.

Deleted
    Remember that reliquary 2nd phase uses its disorientate ability very often, don't mistake that for your pet losing agro.

Can anyone enlighten me why growl doesn't work anymore? I just don't see a reason why Blizzard made this change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me why growl doesn't work anymore? I just don't see a reason why Blizzard made this change.
    It was back during Baleroc heroic progression, guilds used to use hunters taunting and then using deterrence to tank the boss without taking any damage which means they could go way past the enrage timer (As it had a very high DPS requirement)

They fixed all non-tank taunts to make sure this didn't happen again.

It is just growl that doesn't work on some bosses, nothing else changed. If anything they removed MD from the GCD so you can spam it all day everyday on all bosses and all trash without dps loss. Hunter aggro soloing things has never been smoother than now in MoP tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    It was back during Baleroc heroic progression, guilds used to use hunters taunting and then using deterrence to tank the boss without taking any damage which means they could go way past the enrage timer (As it had a very high DPS requirement)

They fixed all non-tank taunts to make sure this didn't happen again.
    Pet growl has nothing to do with this, they nerfed distracting shot for that reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never have any problems with my pet in old raids, not sure why you are. Even when I don't spam MD it keeps aggro.

Which bosses are you talking about, in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I never have any problems with my pet in old raids, not sure why you are. Even when I don't spam MD it keeps aggro.

I don't know about other people, but I can say that Kel'Thuzad and Sartharion are both immune to growl.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post

As BM I imagine that's possible, since the pet will do such a large part of your dmg. As any of the other two specs (I do all my soloing as survival) you rip aggro off the pet instantly if you don't spam MD.