View Poll Results: Best tank for Challenge Modes?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • DK

44 47.83%
  • Druid

1 1.09%
  • Monk

29 31.52%
  • Paladin

10 10.87%
  • Warrior

2 2.17%
  • doesn't matter

6 6.52%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arrow Best tank for Challenge Modes?

I think that all tanking classes are quite well balanced in raids.

But I wonder: which tank is the best for Challenge Modes, where you have "bad" gear, trash packs which might hurt more than bosses, time constraints, fewer raid buffs etc.?

What do you think, and why?
    Last edited by Lil; 2013-07-01 at 12:29 PM.

I found monks hard to heal, the player then switched to his recently dinged DK which had quest greens and blues, and it wasn't too hard to heal.

A kitty druid shifted to bear form once, that also wasn't a problem to heal. Same with a paladin, he took a fair bit of damage, but I could keep him up without any issues.

(I am a Holy Pala)

DKs also get a lot of useful stuff, AoE stun, AotD, deathgrip etc etc

10+ Year Old Account
    blood derpknight hands down

Few months ago it were DK's and warriors so probably those are still the best. They simply have great spells to reduce incoming damage and control mobs. Remorseless Winter/Shockwave on every trashpack and Army of the Death on very hard trashpacks is really nice. On top of that they also do great damage.

Deleted
    Monks are easily the best if you're going for server #1 or region #1 however for your 'average' gold group the blood DK is just a beast.

For just getting the gold timers, DK.

For getting through as fast as possible with an experienced group(For the daily thing or just trying to get region/server top run), Monk.

Monks have highest DPS but suffer a bit due to their mitigation having a slight ramp up time.

Deleted
    General consensus seems to be that blood DKs are great for your average group. I done them as a prot pally myself and found the powerful cooldowns to be incredibly advantageous.

Deleted
    Any vote other than DK or BRM is biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Any vote other than DK or BRM is biased.
    Och noes, someone disagrees with me, must be bias.

Best DPS: Monk

Best survivability (easiest): DK

Want a really good time? Bring a Monk. First time doing Golds? DK for sure.

Druid's have good dps for them as well and have solid utility, not as bad as people say but definitely a harder tank to do CMs with.

Did golds on my pala back in December with a pretty odd comp (Protpal, MW, WW, Hunt, Lock) and it was kinda rough. This was pre-ROP, so it'd be much less bad now.

Did golds last month on my DK (with Blood, Disc, Mage, Boom, Rog) and it was a breeze. Granted, I knew the strats this time, but it was markedly easier with the plethora of CDs available to DKs, as well as AotD making monster pulls trivial and control undead (lulz).

Blood is by far the easiest to get golds, but BrM is best for pure speed/region #1s. After that, I'd rank it War > Pal > Druid based on CDs/control and other group utility. A lot depends on comp, but that's another thread I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    Nah, it is just simple facts from a objective point of view. BDKs and BRMs and by far the best challenge mode tanks, no way around that.

I find druid due % defense and avoidence (dunno it was easier for me xD )

monk is the best for the fastest times due to the highest dps, this is a proven fact on wowprogress.

other tanks might have better survival but if a monk tank can handle 20 mobs in scarlet halls pull 300k+ dps and survive...it's clearly the best tank.

for just making gold....anything works all are fine but if you want the fastest times nothing beats a monk.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 05:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    not really wowprogress shows it as a fact (if best = fastest, and CM is all about TIME.)

Done cmodes on 4 different tanks (haven't done druid) and guess it depends on how you define "best".

If you just want to go get gold timers, and aren't 100% confident in your healers ability to keep you alive, I personally find warrior to be the strongest (especially if your group needs help with interupts). Shockwave into heroic leap away is probably the best fail safe any of the tanks have in cmodes if your healer gets a little behind. Couple that with having Last stand and rallying cry to give you that little boost you need while your healer casts... They're pretty strong.

If you want to get best times, brewmaster is the strongest. You do have to know what you're doing, and your group has to be a solid group.

DK really only shines with a disc priest imo. Purgatory into Void Shift is pretty imba. Although if your group doesn't have a DPS dk, mass grip will certainly be missed...

I'll never tank a cmode group on my paladin again. Brings fuck all for CC to the group (have to take a glyph if you want an AoE CC).

Actually, to be honest, I have more of favorites per dungeon than overall >.>

Nah, it is just simple facts from a objective point of view. BDKs and BRMs and by far the best challenge mode tanks, no way around that.
    They're really much closer than you would let on if your group was going simply for golds.

But I wonder: which tank is the best for Challenge Modes, where you have "bad" gear, trash packs which might hurt more than bosses, time constraints, fewer raid buffs etc.?
    To directly answer this though. Warrior imo. Requires the least support from the rest of the group. Followed by DK, then Monk. Fuck doing it as a paladin without a group knowing what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    I find druid due % defense and avoidence (dunno it was easier for me xD )
    Easier and better aren't the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    #1 Monk tank
    #2 DK/Pala Tank

#1 Ele Shammy
    #2 Mage
    #3 Hunter
    #4 Lock

#1 Disc Priest
    #2 Resto Druid
    #3 Resto Shammy
    #4 Mistweaver Monk

You are welcome.

I would hope the prot paladin nerfs in 5.4 don't apply to CM. Otherwise they will become the worst. They're already arguably the worst next to druids. I suppose that's the tradeoff for being OP in raids this exp.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Monk is best. They just do a lot more damage than a DK and have better stuns and support.

DKs aren't that far behind and in CMs at that gear level their damage is still good compared to the other, well, lesser tanks (aside from BrM).

Disc priests are hands down the best healers in CMs. I've done them with every healer on my DK and disc priest was light years ahead of the previous healers I had done them with. Absorbs are really helpful for allowing your group to do things other healers can't do, externals are powerful and bosses typically don't need healers if you do it right. Set up your stuns and externals correctly and it's the only healer that can contribute to DPS in both categories on a consistent basis (both AoE and single target).

DPS is basically elemental shaman and hunter. I've seen a lot of compositions run triple hunter, double elemental shaman and things like that.

I did 9/9 as Guardian, I felt it was a way, way stronger tank than people claim. Currently doing them again as DK, I can see why people like them but still prefer my druid so far.