Poll: Which keyboard layout do you use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account

Which keyboard layout do you use? Colemak here.

Qwerty, Colemak, Dvorak, other?

Learning Colemak here and up to about 45 WPM average starting from about 20 WPM two weeks ago. Learning to touch type all over again is great fun and addictive . Passed the point of no return now, there's no going back to QWERTY I'm in too deep even though I was up to about 65 WPM average after being a lifetime looking at the keyboard typist.

The hard part is not learning the new layout it's forgetting the old one because you instinctively reach for the keys where they once were if you try to go too fast. For me around 40 WPM was the point where it stops being frustrating and it's all about improving the speed which comes automatically with practice.

I chose Colemak because the most common letters are all on the home row which means your fingers don't move as far so in theory it's less stressful and 40% more efficient than QWERTY according to research.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2013-07-01 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    QWERTY, because its what i always used, would take me too long to get use to a different layout.
    dragonmaw - EU

QWERTY, ISO-layout.

Been wanting to learn DVORAK, am probably fine with QWERTY-ISO though.

QWERTY here, as well. Using US layout.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Just a regular QWERTY. Been using this layout since forever, think the best I've got is 120/130 WPM so I don't think I'd be open to changing any time soon :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see the point in learning something else since everything in public is qwerty.

10+ Year Old Account
    True you have to weigh things up before you dedicate to the switch. The world standard is QWERTY but it's been proven to be less stressful on the typist after hours of typing to use an alternative like Colemak or Dvorak because the fingers aren't moving all over the keyboard as much.

QWERTY is extremely inefficient compared to all the other layouts out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see whats to be proud about with 45 or even 65 WPM >.>

When I was 11 I could do 115WPM on QWERTY, obviously more now.

Deleted
    Well, i don't have high wpm either, but i do get around so, i'm fine with it. Also in my country they use QWERTZ so everywhere i go i curse for them having Z instead of Y. I have to do some online wpm test.
    Yay i scored 62 WPM. I guess it's better than circling eagle typing.
    Last edited by mmocda5509483c; 2013-07-02 at 08:33 AM.

I type at about 105-110 gwam i won't be switching :P
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    I don't see whats to be proud about with 45 or even 65 WPM >.>

When I was 11 I could do 115WPM on QWERTY, obviously more now.
    This isn't a WPM brag thread although you seem very keen and proud yourself to turn it into one. It's about what keyboard layout you use and the merits of the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    QWERTY, because its what i always used
    This for 99% of people...

Sure, other styles may be more efficient but, you probably won't get people who have been using qwerty to change that easily. You'd have to push it to people who basically haven't used a computer before so there's at least some people who use it. Getting people to change from Qwerty just because it's supposedly more efficient isn't going to work.

On those typing test things I can do 100+ wpm but if i'm thinking something out while typing it, I generally don't type that fast, because I don't process reading something and creating / structuring coherent sentences in the same way as mashing out random words.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

German keyboard, so QWERTZ.

Deleted
    Belgian AZERTY keyboard here.

it's basically QWERTY, but the number keys are flipped (shift on non-shift and vice versa), A/Q, Z/W are switched and the lower right is different.

and because it's not complicated enough, there are 2 versions of AZERTY, one with a comma on the numpad, and one with a dot.

Deleted
    AZERTY.
    Because Belgium that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like my fellow countrymen here, AZERTY
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

QWERTY - 16+ years of using a computer with a QWERTY set up means I'll never change. It's taken me this long to get this good so why change it? If my job were to write pages and pages and pages of text I might think of switching. Although the period where I'm learning the new style would drive me made. Muscle memory is incredibly difficult to break.

edit: also; thinking of it from a WOW (or gaming) POV I could never change (changing keyboard would be enough of a struggle due to where your hands automatically fall on the keyboard). Being able to type really fast is one thing, your hands are usually in a 'standard' starting position, but being able to press 7,8,9, U, I, O, P, J, K, L, N, M, F-keys etc in a split second without looking only really comes from years of gaming.

AZERTY (belgian point) since that's what us belgians use

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    QWERTY.

Though, I am intrigued to learn DVORAK.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water