Gear switch - Is it worth it?

Last night in raid, the Thunderforged Soulblade of the Breaking Storm dropped. My wife's mage is the designated disenchanter and no one could use it on the healing side. But after looking at it, even though it has spirit on it and she has no off-hand item (She'd end up buying an inscription fan), I think it is worth her switching to it. She currently has the LFR Dinomancer's Spiritbinding Spire. It's a 2000 spell power gain to switch. And she would, of course, reforge out what spirit she could.

I would appreciate a mage's opinion. She is Grayce on Feathermoon and is currently playing frost.

Thanks!
    Noodlez

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
    Last night in raid, the Thunderforged Soulblade of the Breaking Storm dropped. My wife's mage is the designated disenchanter and no one could use it on the healing side. But after looking at it, even though it has spirit on it and she has no off-hand item (She'd end up buying an inscription fan), I think it is worth her switching to it. She currently has the LFR Dinomancer's Spiritbinding Spire. It's a 2000 spell power gain to switch. And she would, of course, reforge out what spirit she could.

I would appreciate a mage's opinion. She is Grayce on Feathermoon and is currently playing frost.

Thanks!
    Noodlez
    We could speculate back and forth here all day long, but if you want the absolute best answer I will need her name and realm to look up her armory and see what she looks like on AMR.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is to simply download the AMR addon and program. Simply type /amr while in game and then go to www.askmrrobot.com, bring up your character and hit "Best in Bags". This will run EVERYTHING you have in your bags (if you want to do bank as well, you have to open your bank before typing /amr) and tell you what parses the highest as far as gear rating and highest overall dps. This will give you your absolute best optimization and tell you what she should do.

Off the top of my head answer? Go with the TF Soulblade, spirit can always be reforged out of and the ilvl difference alone "should" compensate for any other lacking stats.

Let me know what AMR says as I am kindof curous now lol

She is Grayce on Feathermoon-US. I did not have her bank/bags downloaded so I am not sure about the Best in Bags but AMR does show that item as BiS for her relative to her gear. I will export her bank/bag items out tonight and see. The killer is the offhand. She may end up losing a chunk of int but gaining a lot of spellpower.

I do use and love AMR, she's just on another pc than I am so I didn't have a chance to export it out. I will tonight.

Thanks!
    Noodlez

Noodlez, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. Here's the feature that was mentioned: http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2013/01/best-in-bags/

If you don't have a premium account, or your free trial has expired, let me know. I'll hook you up with another trial (in which case, pm me your AMR user name). We really like users to be able to try everything!!!
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

I have that same exact weapon. (Can't seem to get an upgrade!! LOL) I got it when I was a Human mage. I could be wrong, but I believe it's BIS before heroic gear for humans. Plus she gets the hit bonus for using a sword as as Human.

Worst case scenario - have her try out the new weapon with an offhand. If she doesn't like it, she can D/E it.

The inscription offhand is ok, if she runs any lfr she may be able to get a pretty decent one there too.

I actually do have a premium account. Thank you for the offer though. I couldn't live my alt-life without it!

Noodlez

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 11:35 AM ----------

We'll give it a try tonight. She doesn't LFR often but maybe the loot gods will be kind to us. She has somehow managed to be the only person that could use the three Thunderforged items that have dropped for us so far. It's kinda hilarious.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Noodlez

Deleted
    That weapon is BiS for human mages, so yes - she should definitely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by vadya View Post
    That weapon is BiS for human mages, so yes - she should definitely use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahnaa View Post
    I have that same exact weapon. (Can't seem to get an upgrade!! LOL) I got it when I was a Human mage. I could be wrong, but I believe it's BIS before heroic gear for humans. Plus she gets the hit bonus for using a sword as as Human.
    It's actually the absolute BiS for Human Fire Mages because you get Hit, Crit, and Haste, Mastery, or additional Hit.

It's okay as a Human Mage (Frost/Arcane), but you could find better.

If you're not a Human, it's best to take purely if it's an iLevel upgrade for bonus Spellpower, but ANY non-spirit weapon of equal iLevel would easily trump it.

It's not BiS for all Human Mages (especially if you're using Wushoolay due to having TOO much Hit). Only Fire.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Gnomes also get a Hit bonus. We never saw one drop before I bonus rolled a 522 Horridon wand, but I would have used that 522 Spirit Sword (with Spirit that is about equal to the amount of Hit you'd get with the racial anyway) over pretty much any 502 or lower weapon.

For what we are raiding, it's fantastic. It just really threw me for a loop with the spirit and poor offhand. But I guess the rest of the stats are just awesome enough. Thanks all for all of the help.

Noodlez