Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is facebook becoming too politically correct?

I consider myself a libertarian. I hate racism, and homophobia, but I feel like every person should have the right to be either if they so choose. Apparently Facebook disagrees, and my black friend just got a 24 hour ban for saying "sup my n-word" on his own facebook wall. As much as I hate the word, I still feel like you should have the freedom to say any word you want to. Particularly on your own facebook wall.

Agree/Disagree?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    I consider myself a libertarian. I hate racism, and homophobia, but I feel like every person should have the right to be either if they so choose. Apparently Facebook disagrees, and my black friend just got a 24 hour ban for saying "sup my n-word" on his own facebook wall. As much as I hate the word, I still feel like you should have the freedom to say any word you want to. Particularly on your own facebook wall.

Agree/Disagree?
    Hahahahahahahahahahhahaha. Have you not heard about the kid who might get 8 years in prison in Texas for saying something sarcastic?

Deleted
    Well as long as he only got banned from Facebook and didn't get into any trouble legally, I don't see a problem. You can just stop using it, it's not like having an account there is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahahhahaha. Have you not heard about the kid who might get 8 years in prison in Texas for saying something sarcastic?
    I actually did, but I don't really consider that facebook policy so much as I consider it local law enforcement. But that is crazy, I've said way worse than that kid has online, especially ten years ago when I was a teenager and the internet didn't seem serious at all.

Well Facebook is a private website so Marky Zuckerberg can ban you whenever he wants.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    I actually did, but I don't really consider that facebook policy so much as I consider it local law enforcement. But that is crazy, I've said way worse than that kid has online, especially ten years ago when I was a teenager and the internet didn't seem serious at all.
    Exactly. I've probably said worse too. It's just stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Well Facebook is a private website so Marky Zuckerberg can ban you whenever he wants.
    comments like these... Just wow.. scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Nothing scary about it. Just stop using facebook if it's a big deal for you, problem solved.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't even know you could get banned from facebook for posting shit lol.

Kinda lame he got banned but what can you do... That word is still offending for a lot of people. Maybe give it a few generations :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Kinda lame he got banned but what can you do... That word is still offending for a lot of people. Maybe give it a few generations :P.
    Given as it is now, I expect it to get even worse. People beeing offended because other people started to say a word beginning with n and not letting them finish it.

When you own a business, you can do whatever you choose. You run a website, you get to make the rules. If you have a problem with that, maybe make your own version of facebook and apply your own rules.

Facebook is not a public domain place. It's a business, and as thus, they get to make their own rules. If you disagree, then quit Facebook, it's really that simple. There are other options out there. MySpace (lol) is still out there, Linkedln is out there. Have at it.

it's not even political correctness. it's a half assed attempt to give them the illusion of being clean. i had to block shit from a brother in law for liking, sharing, w/e overtly racist shit that just didnt contain the n word
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook is a private enterprise, they can ban anybody they want for anything. If they break any laws in doing so, then they will be held responsible to the proper authorities.

If they become too politically correct and stuffy about freedom of speech then people will simply stop using their service and they will go out of business.

I personally believe that everyone should be able to post what they want (unless it's terribly illegal etc.)

There's nothing stopping me from unfriending them and/or thinking they're a massive a-hole. I wish people would think before they say something questionable, but at the same time, I wish others would grow some balls. It's not okay to harass another group of people, but I don't think it's incredibly okay to get all up in arms over a comment, either. (EDIT: For clarity, I'm referring to a comment on Facebook. It's different in the real world because the Internet barrier is not there)

Anyway, I've noticed that trend on Facebook lately. Facebook: the place that's completely you (within moderated limits).

It's not scary; it's a private enterprise.
    If anything, it shows us that governments should not be run like private enterprises. Because thát would be scary.

It does raise questions about things like banks and security firms, however. Especially the big one: Should they even bé private enterprises?

Facebook has banned women in my country who have posted pictures of themselves breast feeding. In my country breast feeding is just normal and no one cares. It's just cute to see the baby being breast fed. But in Facebook's home country breast feeding and boobies in general is something that should only be seen behind locked doors, whether it be on your computer monitor or on your girlfriend. (Women even get warned if they try to bathe topless in the sun on the beaches over there! I know it sounds weird, but it is the truth.)

So it can sometimes definitely be a bit frustrating how Facebook deals with things, because they sort of enforce their own country's culture onto unsuspecting individuals and just straight out ban them without a warning if they go against cultural conventions they do not know or understand. If Facebook only allowed users from their home country I could understand this, but I really, really think they should be a bit more forgiving towards other cultures since they aggressively market themselves to other cultures as well as their own.

That's the reason why I never post anything on Facebook. Screw that, someone might get something into the wrong throat and fucking sue you over nothing and fuck your life over.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    That's the reason why I never post anything on Facebook. Screw that, someone might get something into the wrong throat and fucking sue you over nothing and fuck your life over.
    Question...has anyone ever been sued as a result of something posted to a social network site?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Question...has anyone ever been sued as a result of something posted to a social network site?
    Yes, multiple times... mostly because of "terror threats" or racism. It all boils down on if someone reports you or not.