Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Nitro Boost seriously needs to be improved.

    The chance of having a nitro boost failure, specifically a rocket leak seems way too high. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it has caused me A LOT of trouble since I became an engineer. Yes, maybe it is a sacrifice for having a super speed boost cooldown, but why should engineers have to suffer when no other profession does for their bonuses.

    It's just that since I've had the ability to nitro boost, it has basically fucked me several times when it was very important for me to stay alive. Those count as heroic attempts, 25 man Ulduar soloing attempts, which by the way are not easy as an elemental shaman, and PvP flukes.

    All I'm asking for is other people's opinion on the nitro boosts, and if they have experienced similar events that I have. If you have as well, then it may not just be bad RNG, but a broken WoW mechanic that needs to be addressed.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    The chance of having a nitro boost failure, specifically a rocket leak seems way too high. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it has caused me A LOT of trouble since I became an engineer. Yes, maybe it is a sacrifice for having a super speed boost cooldown, but why should engineers have to suffer when no other profession does for their bonuses.

    It's just that since I've had the ability to nitro boost, it has basically fucked me several times when it was very important for me to stay alive. Those count as heroic attempts, 25 man Ulduar soloing attempts, which by the way are not easy as an elemental shaman, and PvP flukes.

    All I'm asking for is other people's opinion on the nitro boosts, and if they have experienced similar events that I have. If you have as well, then it may not just be bad RNG, but a broken WoW mechanic that needs to be addressed.
    The engi bonus are the glove enchants. Anything beyond that is purely for fun(some more useful then other).

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral Scifix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,086
    Agreed, feels like mine fail 70% of the time, and whats even worse, you`d think NITRO BOOSTS would let you catch up some mounted douche, but that douche being a paladin, nope

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    The chance of having a nitro boost failure, specifically a rocket leak seems way too high. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it has caused me A LOT of trouble since I became an engineer. Yes, maybe it is a sacrifice for having a super speed boost cooldown, but why should engineers have to suffer when no other profession does for their bonuses.
    The boost isn't a profession bonus. The glove enchant is and is what is roughly balanced in terms of the other profession bonuses. The boots are a perk for having the profession and just an extra toy. It's also because goblin/gnome engineering always has a chance to backfire so why not add that flavor to the items?

  5. #5
    Look at engy from a lore perspective. It's not exactly a keenly refined science like we're used to, it's clunky and prone to failure. That's reflected in the profession. A lot of the really unique bonuses have a chance to fail because they're unique and quite powerful, nitro boosts especially. No other profession can cover that much ground, that quickly, nor do any classes really provide the same level of speed.

    Hell, I had a nitro boost failure save me from 5 people a week or so ago. It popped me up in the air instead of giving me the speed boost, and I was able to float away on my goblin glider. Sometimes, it's not such a bad thing.

  6. #6
    It doesn't need to be improved, its working how it should do.

    If you use it during heroic attempts then lol at you. Anything that puts killing a boss squarely in the hands of rng isn't smart.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Anything that puts killing a boss squarely in the hands of rng isn't smart.
    Um, everything in WoW is RNG? Awww, tank wouldn't have died if the heal crit. Add would have died before the next cast if my spell crit.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    The engi bonus are the glove enchants. Anything beyond that is purely for fun(some more useful then other).
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Nitro Boosts give a huge advantage in raids to not only survivability. For example, on Jin-Rohk, you're supposed to get out of the pool which gives you 50% increased damage by the way, before lightning storm happens. The more dps you can get in on the boss while in the pool, the better. If I didn't have nitro boost to get out of the pool in a flash, I'd have to stop dpsing for a few seconds which hurts my dps in order to survive. With nitro boosts, I can keep casting for some extra time and get more damage out, and still be able to survive the lightning storm.

    There are other examples of that, but also the goblin glider can be a life-saver. I've been knocked off the platform on heroic durumu before by force of will because of a Life Drain stun, and used my glider to save myself from falling.

    In short, the bonuses that engineering gives to raid efficiency is so much to where the top raiders in the world replace a fully leveled profession in order to have them. I know a couple guilds who's healers all rerolled engineering to get the glove tinker for more healing on heroic Meg.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,286
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Nitro Boosts give a huge advantage in raids to not only survivability. For example, on Jin-Rohk, you're supposed to get out of the pool which gives you 50% increased damage by the way, before lightning storm happens. The more dps you can get in on the boss while in the pool, the better. If I didn't have nitro boost to get out of the pool in a flash, I'd have to stop dpsing for a few seconds which hurts my dps in order to survive. With nitro boosts, I can keep casting for some extra time and get more damage out, and still be able to survive the lightning storm.

    There are other examples of that, but also the goblin glider can be a life-saver. I've been knocked off the platform on heroic durumu before by force of will because of a Life Drain stun, and used my glider to save myself from falling.

    In short, the bonuses that engineering gives to raid efficiency is so much to where the top raiders in the world replace a fully leveled profession in order to have them. I know a couple guilds who's healers all rerolled engineering to get the glove tinker for more healing on heroic Meg.
    This basically is an argument against improving the Nitro Boost. If it was *improved* IT would be a total necessary thing in Raids. Heck even PVP.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    Um, everything in WoW is RNG? Awww, tank wouldn't have died if the heal crit. Add would have died before the next cast if my spell crit.
    Most rng doesn't fall under the "I hope pressing this button doesn't blow my feet off now" category.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sowf Wails
    Posts
    4,056
    It is frustrating when it happens, but as others have stated the glove bonus is the "balanced" perk. The rest is an advantage that other proffs don't have anything close to, so giving it a chance to fail or backfire balances the advantage out.

  12. #12
    Typically if it backfires during a boss, I'll call it out to let the healers know. I'd probably heal myself and not even make it an issue depending on what's going on during the fight. People wouldn't reroll engineering if they didn't think that these bonuses would work for the better.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    It is frustrating when it happens, but as others have stated the glove bonus is the "balanced" perk. The rest is an advantage that other proffs don't have anything close to, so giving it a chance to fail or backfire balances the advantage out.

    Yeah, I understand this, but the chance of it happening just seems too high, for me at least. Like I said, if other people are having the same problems as I am, it may be an issue. If not and I'm just unlucky, it should be left alone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This basically is an argument against improving the Nitro Boost. If it was *improved* IT would be a total necessary thing in Raids. Heck even PVP.
    I'm not too sure that it would be absolutely necessary in raids, because you could argue depending on the class/role, that other professions are better. If you're trying to save money by doing alchemy for the flask benefit, and maybe combine that with another profession like herbalism for healers, or for JCing/BSing/LWing for anyone who wants the pretty big stat bonus, plus the ability to make gold, engineering might not suit you. And engineers can hardly make gold with that profession alone. The mounts don't sell too often, and they're almost too much of a hassle to craft (around 65k) for the return in profits.

    Maybe a better solution to this problem is giving engineers a way to make gold, which would balance the profession in regards to the rocket failures.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    Yes, maybe it is a sacrifice for having a super speed boost cooldown, but why should engineers have to suffer when no other profession does for their bonuses.
    Synapse Springs is the Engineering perk. Do they fail? No, they don't. They're in fact better than the other professions' perks for most classes due to their bursty nature.
    Vereesa of Paragon, formerly of Depraved
    WCL

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Synapse Springs is the Engineering perk. Do they fail? No, they don't. They're in fact better than the other professions' perks for most classes due to their bursty nature.
    But when you compare engineering to other professions, it doesn't match up when looking at total pros and cons because engineering can't make gold very well.

  15. #15
    I think this thread put the last nail in the coffin. This forum is so cynical and toxic that people are now whining about NITRO BOOSTS.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    But when you compare engineering to other professions, it doesn't match up when looking at total pros and cons because engineering can't make gold very well.
    Are you advocating giving them hands down the best raiding / pvp bonuses in game because they "can't make gold very well"?

    You are looking at this from a "you only" point of view and not taking overall game balance into account.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    But when you compare engineering to other professions, it doesn't match up when looking at total pros and cons because engineering can't make gold very well.
    The topic was specifically their bonuses which, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't include gold-making capabilities.

  18. #18
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,536
    I dont see why they should take you down to 10% hp, 50% would be reasonable and terrifying enough to warrent when you should use them.

    Also they need to fix boots+glider. I dont know why they changed it but its fucking annoying.

  19. #19
    Something that I've found (or believe I have found) is that the boost seem to have a higher risk of failing if you line it up with other speed increases. When doing WSG for fun on my monk I usually pop Tiger's Lust when the gate opens, then Goblin Glider down the GY into a Flying Serpent Kick -> Nitro Boosts to get ahead of everybody else. However, when doing it this way Nitro Boosts usually fail like at least 50% of the times, if not more. So after a while I switched to going double Roll at start -> Glider -> Nitro Boosts -> FSK -> Tiger's Lust and since then I haven't seen it fail a single time.

    Could be some crazy RNG, could be on purpose to limit crazy speed combos. Who knows

  20. #20
    WOTLK engineering enchant working as intended IMO. I had one backfire ruin a H Iron Qon attempt, other than that my rng isn't bad enough to where it it is detrimental to our guilds progression. Taking engineering includes taking the risks of certain things not working 100% of the time. Anyone changing professions to engineering in order to get a 100% successful sprint are not changing for the right reasons, Engineering is not for the weak of heart.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •