Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Was Grand Theft Auto 4 overrated?

    I'm skeptical because while the game is still so damn amazing and ingenious when you play it today, on the other hand, most critics on the Internet claim it is one of the most revolutionary games of all time, having the highest Metacritic score, and Im curious on your thought of that.
    Last edited by Salandrin; 2013-07-02 at 09:24 AM.

  2. #2
    So the game is still amazing and ingenious when you play it today, but on the other hand critics claim it's one of the most revolutionary games of all time. How's that the other hand? Do you mean to say that while it's good, it's not THAT great?

    I'm pretty sure it is just that good.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2013-07-02 at 09:25 AM.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Tekkommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,440
    um what?

    You think the game is still amazing today and it has a high score... clearly you don't think it's overrated then...

    Imo the who GTA franchise has been revolutionary in gaming. San Andreas is the best one imo.

    My only gripe with GTA 4 is the main character and his annoying cousin.

    To the below posters, I never had issues with driving, found it pretty easy. Played it on ps3 and PC.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-07-02 at 09:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Of course it was and so is GTA V. GTA used to be more arcade-like with non-realistic driving physics before, that allowed to drive through the city at full speed and still not crash in every curve. In GTA IV, the phyisics were way too realistic and I think they will make it even worse with GTA V. If I wanted to play a racing simulation I would play something else (which won't happen, ever).

  5. #5
    I personally wasn't a big fan of GTA4, the settings and playable area was great but the driving just made it hard for me to play. Don't use your brakes, you crash into the wall on the otherside of the street, use the brakes and you do a 180.

  6. #6
    Yes, all the GTA games have been overrated. That said this thread should be in the Video Games forum, not this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans xebtria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bloody ol' Germany
    Posts
    2,878
    GTA4 was pretty good and it is still fun today.
    The Lost and the Damned was just another story line, other than that it was "just" as good as GTA4, and you mostly ride bikes, not cars.
    Ballad of Gay Tony was a fucking brilliant story line AND gameplay.

    realizing that in each of them you find connections to the respective other ones makes the whole package (GTA4+TLAD+TBOGT) one ingenious masterpiece.

  8. #8
    Tbh, I didn't like Nico. For a guy pretending to know how crappy things can be, he sure doesn't step up to make a difference. Like that scene early when that guy trashes his wife's tea barrel thingy; no reason not to have a QTE there to interfere. And if he's not the guy to do so, don't try to paint him with any kind of moral dilemma...

    Also, there wasn't enough customization options compared to San Andreas.

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Gobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,949
    I loved GTA 4 and the driving i thought was pretty damn good, loved it too, Very much looking forward to GTA 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark
    They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. I present to you the newest in Stark Industries' Freedom line. Find an excuse to let one of these off the chain, and I personally guarantee, the bad guys won't even wanna come out of their caves. Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration... the Jericho.

  10. #10
    To me, the GTA franchise in general is overrated, but that's because I don't enjoy playing that particular genre.

    To other people it will be just as you described, it's all about perspective.
    Armory
    All who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Teerack View Post
    Zeratul has always just been the batman of outerspace.

  11. #11
    The entire franchise is overrated, just a bunch of games that serve no purpose other than wandering around killing random ass people. And honestly Saints Row does it better, GTA takes itself so seriously, at least Saints Row kind of takes the piss out of itself.

  12. #12
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,329
    Played all GTA's, I remember playing GTA on the original Playstation when I was really young. GTA4 was really good, I enjoyed the graphics and the physics being a lot better when you run someone over, for example. The story was good/fun, too.

    It was a good game, if you didn't play on multiplayer, you missed out :> Played with two of my friends for endless hours, we also made videos on YouTube including it :> It was insanely fun and funny. Can't wait for GTA5.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,858
    It was because it wasn't as good as San Andreas, but the graphics and physics were plain superior.

    Gladly, we are getting a mix of both in a few months, that should be the perfect GTA.

  14. #14
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    The entire franchise is overrated, just a bunch of games that serve no purpose other than wandering around killing random ass people. And honestly Saints Row does it better, GTA takes itself so seriously, at least Saints Row kind of takes the piss out of itself.
    I disagree, I played Saints Row 3 expecting it to be just as good as GTA since I heard good things. Bought it and ended up bored within one hour or so, the customisation for your character was brilliant, but gameplay was boring, imo. GTA, for me, is unmatched in its genre. I don't see how you can say it takes itself so seriously? What do you mean?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    To me, the GTA franchise in general is overrated.
    This. Eventually you just get a rpg and every mission becomes so easy. Infact the game is so easy, not really immersive (i couldnt give a fuck about any of the characters). 4 was the first one i brought (played the others but never ended up buying them).

    Saying that I have fond memories of playing gta : london, because i was like 8 and had to go to my neighbours house to play it.

  16. #16
    There's no forest and countryside in GTA4. There's only city everywhere!

    Therefore the game was not as good as it could have been.

    GTA5 seems to have lots of forest and countryside and such, which will make it a lot better.
    GTA San Andreas is the best so far because of the huge map and big forest/countryside thing.

    Driving down mountains and in the forest out in nowhere was always the most fun part of GTA.

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans xebtria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bloody ol' Germany
    Posts
    2,878
    there are two reasons for playing GTA
    - you like the storyline, the characters, and all the little tiny details, find hidden stuff, complete all objectives so you reach 100%.
    - you love to drive around for hours, blowing vehicles up, kill people (which does not make you a potential mass murderer btw), outrun the police, do every kind of sick stuff.
    - some sort of combination of both points, which does not actually make this a full third reason.

    if you don't like to blow shit up and/or you don't care about characters and storyline, then GTA might not be the right game for you.

  18. #18
    The GTA series are (imo) the best out there. They get better and better as they go and have revolutionised the way that games are made (they started the whole sandbox design)

  19. #19
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,265
    I absolutely hated the game. Loved GTA 1 and 2, absolutely hated the dating sim that was 4. Also didn't like the controls. But of course it's just my personal opinion. I thought the characters were well done, but I couldn't get myself to play it much at all because of all the interruptions and minigames.
    My recently created science blog about ants: AntyScience

  20. #20
    My biggest issues with the game were the god awful gunplay and how Nico never really stopped being an errand boy. He bitches about this debt he has to pay back, but you never actually do anything with it. He never actually climbs the ladder, like in other GTA installments. He just goes from person to person, handling this "easy job" for them until, uh oh! something went wrong and he has to shoot everybody to death. Every single mission.

    At least CJ bought his own airport.
    Just calm down.
    My Stream - My Youtube Channel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •