Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fourth of July Event ?

I've seen no mention officially about this, but did hear a rumour of some Event to celebrate the Fourth of July? Came across this new achievement on the PTS so perhaps we'll be doing something soon

10+ Year Old Account
    What's on the 4th of July that's affecting people worldwide playing Rift?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I found some firework bundles under "World Events" in the store, if you want to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Do you get angry when there's a 4th of July celebration in WoW duing their Fire Festival event? Do you get angry when they have the Lunar Festival as only China really celebrates the Chinese New Year? How dare an American MMORPG developer put in an American holiday celebration in their game. Don't those assholes know about how this hurts all those poor Europeans' feelings?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Do you get angry when there's a 4th of July celebration in WoW duing their Fire Festival event? Do you get angry when they have the Lunar Festival as only China really celebrates the Chinese New Year? How dare an American MMORPG developer put in an American holiday celebration in their game. Don't those assholes know about how this hurts all those poor Europeans' feelings?
    Why so defensive? He's just asking what's on the 4th of July that affects people worldwide. Which only has one simple answer ''It doesn't affect people worldwide''

Taking your Midsummer Fire Festival mention, that's actually both a european and an american thing (Midsummer + fireworks at the end, on the 4th of July)
    Which is the best way to add a holiday event, instead of simply chucking in one nation's holiday.

Lunar Festival can also be seen as more of a compensation for the ''normal'' New Year's Eve.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Would you be happier if the NA company that runs this game only put it on the NA servers and left EU and other parts of the world with jack? You don't have to participate if you do not want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's nice to see Rift having a level of content under it's belt that allows the dev's to finally have "breathing space" to add extras.

it is amazing people can be upset about an in-game event ... If you don't like the '4th of July' celebration, then to be fair, you need to not like any celebration at all. You have to not like the christmas events, because not everyone believes in the bible. You have to not like halloween events, because not everyone celebrates that either.

Or, is it just flame bait, statement to cause unrest in the community? That is a violation of ToS here. I'm rather certain that is the intention, but not worth reporting over, because I think it is humorous that people can't just enjoy a game, and whatever events it has. Your ego is bigger than the internets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Hey ladies put your handbags away. He asked a question, the answer to which is: The 4th of July is the independance day of the USA.
    Yes, that's the answer. But was the question really needed? Absolutely not. Also, @Spellweaver: How about a better example: Pilgrim's Bounty. A world event that's without a doubt based off an American-only holiday, Thanksgiving. Again, how dare an American developer put American holiday-based events in their game. But honestly, if Trion added in some European-only holiday, I wouldn't care. And I sure as hell wouldn't ask what happens on that day that affects non-Europeans.

Was the question needed? Well fuck I dont know can you tell me why the 8th of october is relevant to Croatia? Or what the 17th of june in Iceland represents? Without google searching.

No you cant.

Your blowing a simple question wildly out of proportion.
    No, I do not know what those days signify to those countries without using Google. Why? Because I do not live in those countries, do not play any mmorpg made in those countries, nor frequent any site where those days are mentioned in great detail. I didn't see any thread on here June 17th saying "Happy Icelandic National Day everyone!" and I doubt I will see a thread on October 8th saying "Happy Independance Day Croatia!" But I recall every year someone saying something about America's Independance Day, plus it's pretty much a given that an American MMORPG developer who includes world events in their game will have a little something on the 4th of July.

Anyway, I am done with this conversation. As Zeropeorth said, that question was more than likely flamebait. And I fell for it. So good job on that, Moshic. You succeeded.

To be using the internet, then not use it for a simple question is as close to coy trolling you can get when it comes to something like this. I'm not jewish, but I understand that they have a holiday they celebrate lighting candles and spinning dradles. I'm not a muslim, but I know they have a holiday where they all pray. I'm not mexican, but I know they celebrate the 5th of May.

If any of those holidays were in a game, I wouldn't complain about it. I wouldn't assume that the holiday needs to affect people worldwide to be implemented in the game. In fact, if there was a holiday on a random day ... say January 17th ... I wouldn't necessarily care what it was for, just enjoy the developers caring enough to give us an event, listen to in game lore reasons, and unless stated what the real life counterpart was, possibly assume it was a in-game lore only event, celebrated by the world of the MMO I play.

It doesn't have to 'mean' anything, or relate to anything.

It was bait, simply because of how it was stated. They've been on MMO-Champ since 2009, you can't tell me they've -never- once questioned the fire festival? They've never seen or heard anything about the holiday ever? They don't know how to do a search? It was a soft jab at u.s. self-importance; which is real ... but I'm rather certain Trion has no 'agenda' with it, just trying to do something fun.

Not to mention there is always game-specific lore infused into in-game events.

If I was playing an Icelandic MMO, and they had a celebration I didn't understand, I'd probably look it up, because Iceland intrigues me. Just like if I play a Japanese game and they have festivals in it, I tend to look up the meaning of the festival.

Feigning ignorance is not acceptable when its intent is to incite. It is acceptable if it is intended to add to discussion, as a debate tactic ... but a one liner is not an attempt at debate or discussion.

I never once questioned why we burned wickermen in WoW; nor did I look it up; I eventually learned and at some time forgotten as well; but I don't care, it was something to do in game that changed things up a bit.

Was the question needed? Well fuck I dont know can you tell me why the 8th of october is relevant to Croatia?
    I can't. But if Trion(or Blizzard, or whoever) added an event for the 8th of October I wouldn't feel the need to ask "Can you tell me why the 8th of October is relevant to anyone outside Croatia?", either. I'd accept it as a shot at bonus loot, achievements, or whatever, and that would be it.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I can't. But if Trion(or Blizzard, or whoever) added an event for the 8th of October I wouldn't feel the need to ask "Can you tell me why the 8th of October is relevant to anyone outside Croatia?", either. I'd accept it as a shot at bonus loot, achievements, or whatever, and that would be it.
    Exactly. I wouldn't care what holidays world events in games are based on. If I don't know, I can be stupid and assume they created them on their own and it's a fun time for me to do something different.

Additionally, the statement was taken negatively on the word choice in the question. Stating that the 4th of July, which is widely publicized (even in movies that get released in other countries) is affecting the rest of the world....yeah. No other way to take that but as a sarcastic rhetorical question.

It's a holiday...other people should get over it. I would love for every game to have a Boxing Day celebration and every other unique holiday around the world because that's more activity in the game.
    BAD WOLF

I have yet to get any fireworks from rifts. I can't wait for summerfest to start. There have been summerfest zone invasions by the Swarmmaster, but no summerfest yet.

Trolling aside, as a Canadian it would certainly have made me happy if this event started a couple days earlier (the 1st), but lasted through the 4th - then both us and our american neighbors could celebrate our nationality in game, at least on NA shards.

Deleted
    Is this something that will happen in EU as well? And can you do it in tempest bay or you must arse your way back to the old world like meridian and such?=) There should be a fast teleport between tempest bay and meridian tbh.... now only time I will be able to get out of tempest bay is if there's some guild teleport or something. I dont like useless travel routes for the sake of useless travel routes... fast teleports between major cities, why on earth would you not have it?
    So, bring event to EU and tempest bay... might get to see some fireworks tonight then =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Is this something that will happen in EU as well? And can you do it in tempest bay or you must arse your way back to the old world like meridian and such?=) There should be a fast teleport between tempest bay and meridian tbh.... now only time I will be able to get out of tempest bay is if there's some guild teleport or something. I dont like useless travel routes for the sake of useless travel routes... fast teleports between major cities, why on earth would you not have it?
    So, bring event to EU and tempest bay... might get to see some fireworks tonight then =)
    There's a Porticulum in Meridan and Tempest Bay or do you mean like a teleport spell such as those in Planar Attunement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Recondition View Post
    There's a Porticulum in Meridan and Tempest Bay or do you mean like a teleport spell such as those in Planar Attunement?
    Yea I know about them, but they arent linked to eachother. In tempest bay I only got like two wierd places I can go to, none of them in the old world... and as far as I understand from meridian to tempest bay is a long way... is it even possible without soul recall once you have spoken to the NPC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Yea I know about them, but they arent linked to eachother. In tempest bay I only got like two wierd places I can go to, none of them in the old world... and as far as I understand from meridian to tempest bay is a long way... is it even possible without soul recall once you have spoken to the NPC?
    There's 3 options when you click a Porticulum, once you have unlocked one in th SL content: Take a Porticulum to Mathosia, Take a Porticulum to Dusken and Brevane, Bind my soul. To go from Tempest Bay to Meridian, choose the "Take a port to Mathosia", and the other one to go from Meridian to Tempest Bay.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gonterf View Post
    Trolling aside, as a Canadian it would certainly have made me happy if this event started a couple days earlier (the 1st), but lasted through the 4th - then both us and our american neighbors could celebrate our nationality in game, at least on NA shards.
    ya that would be pretty nice.