Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I think Wrathion get the better end of this deal. (SPOILERS)

So, from what we've seen in the ptr, there's nothing really special about Wrathion's plan.

He sends us to the timeless isle to 'time lock' our cloaks and make them more powerful. Okay, that's neat, we get super powerful cloaks. I guess a weapon for every class and spec would have been a bit much. I can live with this though I hope there's a cosmetic reward like the dagger wings and dragonwrath mount. But regardless, we complete our cloaks and he sends us off to kill Garrosh.

At what point did we need Wrathion though? Sure, he gives us some cook cloaks and gems. But the story never really feels like his plan is having a realm impact on the present story. In the end his 'judgement' is 'go kill Garrosh to end the war.' That's great and all, but the Horde turned against Garrosh without his involvement, and he wasn't involved in SI 7 making contact with Vol'jin to make a truce against Garrosh. And in the end, his big plan is 'go kill Garrosh,' that thing we're going to do anyway?

There may be more to this that just isn't in the ptr yet, but that's all the quests and dialogue suggest.

So what the player character gets out of working with Wrathion:

A cool gem for weapons that are outdated now.

A gem socket for weapons.

A cool meta gem.

A kick ass cloak.

But what did Wrathion get?

1. A bunch of ancient mogu secrets.

2. A legendary weapon we help forge for HIM to keep. If I recall correctly he carries it around after the quest is done and even fights you with it if you do Xuen's trial.

3. A bunch of valuable titan knowledge he gets after eating Lei Shen's heart. Knowledge we only get cryptic slivers of.

In the end, it doesn't really feel like we needed Wrathion, and I think he benefited from us more than we did from him, considering the war he sought out to end is coming to its own conclusion without him really doing anything. In the end this quest line is really just about us getting him stuff in exchange for him giving us stuff, and when his big plan to end the war comes along it's the same thing we'd be doing anyway. Either Wrathion played us, or this is kind of disappointing. It feels more like setup for a later storyline than a story related to the current one.

I do love Tong's speech at the end of it though, his audio is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, given the nature of his brood... did you really expect otherwise?

No, I fully expected him to benefit from all this, it's just that the finale is kind of underwhelming for me, at least unless it does indeed turn out he was using us to empower himself and not really intent on doing something to bring the war to an end.

Wrathion is a side character, a part of a quest-line that honestly not everyone bothered to finish.

He will probably be more active in the next expansion, so the current quests are for players to get a bit more familiar with him - you can also notice he is pretty much never in his dragon form and he acts more like a human than a powerful black dragon, which to me hints that blizz just wants players to get to know Wrathions character and not his PEWPEWdragonform.

Deleted
    He's a black dragon. I never trusted him anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Wrathion gets the better end of the deal, so what? It's kind of expected at this point. We KNOW he's using us to his advantage. He even used Tong as well and I bet a little on Anduin's part. We're all pawns in his grand scheme. He is Progeny of the Destroyer. Personally, he won't be a villain. I bet he'll just be someone we grudgingly work with. For pure convenience mind you.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    In the end, it doesn't really feel like we needed Wrathion, and I think he benefited from us more than we did from him, considering the war he sought out to end is coming to its own conclusion without him really doing anything.
    He did.

He empowered the player to finish this war quickly.

Wrathion works from the shadows, he brings this war to an end by empowering those that have the power to end it.

And obviously Wrathion tries to acquire more power.

"I will stop at NOTHING to defend this world. In the future, if you are ever uncertain, you are welcome to question my means. But never question my motives. The safety of this world is my primary concern."

Considering that he foresaw another invasion of the burning legion, he tries to get as much power as possible for himself, he knows that some mortal races will not agree with his methods, as shown by Anduin, so he needs as much power as possible on his own to get his plans done.

In the end this quest line is really just about us getting him stuff in exchange for him giving us stuff, and when his big plan to end the war comes along it's the same thing we'd be doing anyway. Either Wrathion played us, or this is kind of disappointing. It feels more like setup for a later storyline than a story related to the current one.
    He works from the shadows, it's not always obvious that he has an involvement into certain events, but he has by empowering the player.

And about the story thing...isn't that the whole general MoP theme? War and it's consequences?

Overall MoP felt a bit like preparing for a really huge bang which requires Alliance & Horde to work together.

Considering Wrathion sees himself as the Savior of Azeroth for whatever is coming for us, yeah, of course he'd benefit more than we did.

But you know the old saying: those with too much power fill with too much madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I don't mind that he gets the better end of this deal. But the whole 'we have to do something to end this war NOW before it leaves Azeroth weak' angle kind of falls flat when he literally has no impact on the war other than 'here's a fancy cloak go kill Garrosh now.' Just a little disappointing for me personally that the finale of the quest line is something both factions are already doing anyway.

I guess part of my disappointment is that I thought the interesting stuff in his 5.2 quests would play into 5.4 somehow. That those story threads would be developed more as his attention turns to using the knowledge and power we acquired to end the war. Instead it's just a teaser for later. No elaboration on what the 'final titan' is, what Wrathion knows after eating the heart, no seeing him put the knowledge and power he acquired towards ending the war. I think I just got hyped up after the awesome stuff in 5.2 that I expected more from his 5.4 quest than I should have.
    Last edited by Florena; 2013-07-04 at 06:50 PM.

He never tipped Tong, you know.

we are wrathions champion, hes right hand man, the only one he confides in and trusts completely to carry out his wishes.

his plan has nothing to do with garrosh, garrosh simply needs to be removed so he can continue making preparations to fortify azeroth against the burning legion.

this story is far from over, we will be championing for wrathion even further in the next expansion whatever that may be, whether its taking on the legion directly or more preparation who knows

- - - Updated - - -

and lorewise if you think about it, it makes sense. wrathion isnt going to do the dirty work, garrosh isnt big enough for him. he empowers his champion a bit more and tells him/her hey go get the job done kiddo and we keep going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Given nature of warcraft storytelling, wrathion will sooner or later reveal to be insane. Just like all other villains. And to be honest i will be happy to put him down.

All i Keep hearing is.."he's a black dragon" i don't trust him. What so many people forget is that he is a purified black dragon. All the black dragons of the past that made them so untrustworthy were corrupted. I really don't think we have anything to worry about with him. He may be clever and all but I really don't think he has any intentions of turning on us. Plus in my opinion his will seems strong enough that he won't be corrupted, or go insane/mad or power hungry. He was purified from a device that was straight from the titans. Sorry if this was not completely on topic with OP but I just wanted to throw it out there!
    Care to check out the videos I create on youtube? check out this link..........www.youtube.com/syllergaming

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    we are wrathions champion, hes right hand man, the only one he confides in and trusts completely to carry out his wishes.

his plan has nothing to do with garrosh, garrosh simply needs to be removed so he can continue making preparations to fortify azeroth against the burning legion.

this story is far from over, we will be championing for wrathion even further in the next expansion whatever that may be, whether its taking on the legion directly or more preparation who knows

- - - Updated - - -

and lorewise if you think about it, it makes sense. wrathion isnt going to do the dirty work, garrosh isnt big enough for him. he empowers his champion a bit more and tells him/her hey go get the job done kiddo and we keep going.
    I'm not saying Wrathion should show up in the raid himself, but it just feels too 'easy' in a sense. The story starts of with this epic speech of 'we must end this war' and then it's given a too obvious and simple solution because while Wrathion has us off collecting trinkets and giving us gems the war is pretty much resolving itself via the horde rebellion and alliance joining forces, and I just don't buy that the legedary cloak, lore wise, is going to really give the alliance/rebels that much of an edge in taking him down in that we might not have succeeded without it. I expected Wrathion to profit from this, which he has greatly, but I also expected him to actually have a behind the scenes hand in matters regarding how the war ends, rather than just getting us a neat cloak and sending us on our merry way to do the obvious thing.

While I do expect him to show up again though, I don't think he'll be in the same role. This is twice in a row now he's been the shady giver of legendaries, if they use him for this every time we get a legendary it's going to get repetitive.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    He's a black dragon. I never trusted him anyway.
    HEY! Hes a good black dragon now :P

I don't know why people always say "he is like that because he's a black dragon"

he's an uncorrupted black dragon. the titans appointed uncorrupted black dragons to protect the world, and neltharion was described as noble and wise. he was the earth warden, with emphasis on warden, he warded the earth. he and his children became corrupted and evil because of the old gods. wrathion has none of that.

he isn't like that because he's a black dragon. he's like that because he was born among conspiracies, and decided he had to be the chief conspirator if he wanted to be a boss.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    HEY! Hes a good black dragon now :P
    Dude didn't leave Tong a tip. That make Sylvannas and Garrosh's war crimes look like minor slights against the Alliance in comparison. There's no way he's not a boss in the next couple expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get your point. It's anti climactic. Yeah, the ending so far is pretty lame. Buuut it is a legendary quest chain. so there should be some big ending story that we are missing in the PTR. I am going to assume he has been saving water from the vale
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    ...which to me hints that blizz just wants players to get to know Wrathions character and not his PEWPEWdragonform.
    He actually uses his dragon form at some point during the quest line. It's a whelp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Dude didn't leave Tong a tip. That make Sylvannas and Garrosh's war crimes look like minor slights against the Alliance in comparison. There's no way he's not a boss in the next couple expansions.
    To be honest after moral bullshit tong spew at the end of legendary questline, i wouldnt leave tip either.