Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's not just addons. It's the fact that you can find detailed strategies for boss fights, class guides that tell you exactly what to do on everything from reforging and gemming to spec and rotation, what professions to pick, etc, all over the Internet. A person who has never played WoW before and really wanted could be given a random level 90 character and learn how to play it on a decent level in less than an hour by Googling all that stuff. That kind of stuff was around but wasn't as readily available back in some of the older expansions.

These "the game is too easy" complaints have been going on since Vanilla though. Everquest players back then were complaining that the game catered to casual players, it would never amount to anything, it wasn't a "real" mmo, etc. The game was meant to be that way. It would never have gotten the amount of subscriptions that it has reached over the years if everything were heroic only and required 40+ hours a week of playing to make any form of progress.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny how this "argument" repeats itself every once in a while. I'm pretty sure some people like OP believe that Healbot really does pick spells and targets for you and using addons basically play the game for you. Even though majority of automation was broken way back in Vanilla - and something like AVR got broken in WotLK.

But nooo, it's addons that make game too easy.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2013-07-03 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The game is far too easy now. There were addons back in TBC and Wrath, but the game was challenging.
    Did you just call Wrath challenging?

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I think they really should turn off all their addons and delete all their macros, put on their default blizz UI and try again.

it's not blizz's fault if you decided to let addons play half of the game for you, and the game has to be tuned for people that play without them
    I do play without them. Besides changing my UI because the default is ugly as hell. But yeah, it's still pretty easy.

I don't know if I buy the argument of, "If the game is too easy, restrict yourself from accessing useful tools in-game!" That's not really making the game more difficult, that's just restricting what the individual playing it can do. Add-ons aren't really "Playing the game for them", even DBM's notifications mean nothing if the player is incapable of heeding to the mechanics it points out.

Instead, I would argue that hardmode raiding is difficult enough, and recommend that they really sink their teeth into that if they haven't already. If they're arguing that the game as a whole get easier (Dungeons, normal raids, quests, etc.) I would have to respectfully disagree with them.

Deleted
    I think they really should turn off all their addons and delete all their macros, put on their default blizz UI and try again.

it's not blizz's fault if you decided to let addons play half of the game for you, and the game has to be tuned for people that play without them
    That's the logic of elitist raiders for ya, "the game is too easy!!!" meanwhile they have an addon for every boss encounter telling them exactly what to do and when.

I only did high end raiding in vanilla, and I hardly ever used addons. When you actually pay attention to the game, you can get a lot of information out of certain emotes or animations done by a boss. For example, you don't need an addon telling you which class call Nefarian used when you can get the same information from his emote. The only boss that I can recall where I used an addon was Chromaggus, but even there it could very well be that I just couldn't find the hint and let an addon make it clear for me.

And what about threatmeters? I don't recall ever using them in vanilla because we wiped a lot on Vaelastrasz due to people overaggroing. Now you can simply use an addon to tell you exactly where you stand, whereas back in the day you had to guess based on watching what damage you were doing over the fight. I know it's an outdated concept since Blizzard themselves have incorporated a form of threatmeter into their standard UI now, but it does make things easier. Same with deadly boss mods, all it did was spell out a big alert on the screen while you could get that same info elsewhere, it just simplifies things. But also that addon has been incoporated into the standard UI now.

So actually, even the standard Blizzard UI makes raiding very easy, so why would anyone use any other raiding addons? You'll only take away your own challenge and thus your own fun.

Deleted

no, people claiming wow is to easy should link:
    - archi for done all brawler bosses including card ones
    - archi done 13/13 hc
    - archi for done all gold modes
    - archi for done with Celestial Blessings

and that all as balance druid pls

The game is not easier ... The detail is that now there are more things to do that are easy, but difficult content is still there for those who want to try it ...
    The only difference is that now there are more and faster information about the game, therefore, is simpler to find the most effective tactic to kill a boss or to evade the game mechanics.
    The game would probably be more difficult if the information and the guides were not so easy to access, in this way, players would have to think for themselves in a strategy to overcome the game mechanics, which would take them longer and more attempts to advance in the content they are trying to overcome, which eventually would make the game feel more difficult. I'm guessing there are players who don't use guides or google for information on how to overcome the problems the game put them into, but i'm sure they are a very very small minority ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    It would never have gotten the amount of subscriptions that it has reached over the years if everything were heroic only and required 40+ hours a week of playing to make any form of progress.
    I really hope you don't actually believe this. Cause, I mean, that's how the game played out early on, when most of those near 10 million were around >_>

Deleted
    My macros are, nuke and stop casting with demonic circle with ctrl
    Addons, bartender, xperl and dbm
    No more recount due to slowing down crappy computer

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    no, people claiming wow is to easy should link:
    - archi for done all brawler bosses including card ones
    - archi done 13/13 hc
    - archi for done all gold modes
    - archi for done with Celestial Blessings

and that all as balance druid pls
    Celestial blessings aint hard
    Screenshot of green fire instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Observare View Post
    Screenshot of green fire instead!
    I loved that quest, done it twice now. That is something we never had before in the game, and I am actually shockingly surprised it has remained untouched by tweaks.

If they put in more of those types of quests, and had valid rewards, I'd actually give Blizzard a lot of kudos.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Addons have existed for forever.
    Class information on the internet has existed for forever.
    Neither of these things has made the game any easier, especially since they've been around from the beginning.

Now, what is 100% certain is that there are more difficulty levels than there ever were. So really all I can imagine this complaint amounts to is whining that more people besides the elite raiders can have rewards for playing the game. To that I say: get over it.
    BAD WOLF

I miss the days when many quests required a friend or group of friends to complete without significant attempts.

Addons are part of why it's easier, also with a better educated playerbase.

But back then it was actually harder, content wasn't meant to be facerolled, you didn't tank something in a low level 5-man dungeon in vanilla? Someone's gonna die. Tanks had to be top-notch to hold threat, dps had to be careful not to pull, enemies actually hit hard so if you had threat youd be in a real danger of dieing... people really had to stick to the traditional role the entire time while leveling.

Then you had to do so much to get raid ready, nothing compared to today.

Leveling was no joke either, back in the day on my warrior if i pulled two mobs of my level it was very likely that i'd die, a single mob 2 levels above me was serious business. Questing had you look everywhere because you ran out of quests and had to explore a bit as you had nothing to hold your hand to tell you where to go next, you'd actually do these green quests...

Today, leveling is cake, you can take several mobs of your level at once, 5mans can be 2manned, maybe soloed by appropriate level players, they dont need a tank as anyone can take the hits, mechanics can all be ignored. Preparing for raiding is really quick and easy. Raiding is more or less harder but we have more tools to compensate.

Don't people realize that there have been people saying wow has become to easy ever since like the first nerf to rag in MC? It's such a stupid debate.

People who complain that WOW is too easy for others just need to be ignored. If you want hard content, play the hard content. The parts that are too easy for you ... just don't play those parts. Just don't tell me how I should play MY game. I am happy with the content that is available to me, and if you don't like the way I entertain myself (cuz the content is "too easy") ... well tough. I really just don't care what you think.

The game is far too easy now. There were addons back in TBC and Wrath, but the game was challenging.
    TBC? Yes? Wrath? Not so much. Wrath had a couple of stellar fights like HLK and heroic mim, but the normal modes, 10 mans for both difficulties, 5 mans, and questing where all drop dead easy. Easier than now I'd say even.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguezor View Post
    10/13 ToT HC... I only use recount, NPCscan and reforgelite as addons (rocking basic wow UI).

Macro.. well... I only have a few, and it's mostly "all CDs in 1 button macro" kinds of stuff. Still think a lot of the game is dumbed down and made kinda easy, but here's the twist: It still got "hard" stuff aswell. It's a lot of everything really.
    I use BigWigs so I can do pull timers for these fuckers. The hard part for mister Crazy Pony Avatar is PUTTING THE DAMN SKULL BANNER IN RANGE OF THE RANGED YOU SCUMBAG.

AND ALSO WHEN IT SHOULD BE USED NO AFTER TRINKETS END.
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2013-07-14 at 05:12 AM.

In what way was the game more challenging?