Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Warchief Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Post-Apocalyptic America
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by ccKep View Post
    What part about "provide proof (steps to reproduce). Otherwise you're just making up numbers." didn't you understand?
    People in this very thread claim the exact opposite (Recount being more in-line with WoL), yet neither side provides any prove. Noone needs these posts.

    If you have nothing to contribute, just post nothing at all in my opinion.
    If you have a basic understanding of how they both work, then I'm sure you can make the connection yourself. Recount takes your dps in terms of the damage you did per second while you were dpsing. Skada takes into account your active time in terms of the fight, so if you took a break in the middle of the fight, your dps would be lower than it would be if you were using recount. WoL uses effective dps or dps (e) to determine rankings, which is what Skada tracks. Effective dps is of course more important than the dps you did while you were playing, because it doesn't matter if you did 500k dps in the first 20 seconds and then died, because you didn't contribute very much to the group.

    Now, if you want actual proof? Well, I'm not going to go around busting my ass to explain something that is pretty simple to understand. Recount = dps and Skada = dps (e)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    WoL's regular DPS is what counts, not DPS(e).

    - - - Updated - - -



    Syncing uses your network connection.
    WoL's DPS (e) is what is used to determine whether you ranked or not, SO actually you've got it backwards.
    Friend Code: 4570-7432-6960. Add me if you want to play some Pokemon.

  2. #82
    Im pretty sure Skada is more accurate due to how it gets its data. It pulls it straight from the combat logs.

  3. #83
    Pandaren Monk Statix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    I've known in the past that Skada was less accurate than Recount but provided a more stable interface but that was back in early cata.

    Which are people tending to you most now a days? I like that Skada allows for double windows which I like but I don't want to switch if Recount is more accurate.
    Used Recount until it froze my game at Ultraxion in Dragon Soul, Cataclysm. I have been using Skada ever since. Much more lightweight and you can choose which things you wanna track. Not sure if Recount has that option, but since DPS, HPS, Death etc. are all seperate addon parts, you can turn them on or off as you please.
    Statix will suffice.

  4. #84
    Epic! Lei Shi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Terrace of Endless Spring
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Effective dps is of course more important than the dps you did while you were playing, because it doesn't matter if you did 500k dps in the first 20 seconds and then died, because you didn't contribute very much to the group.
    No it isn't. That's what Total Damage Done is there for.
    If you did 500k dps during the first 20 seconds and then died, showing up as having done 10k dps is as inaccurate as it can get.
    From looking at the skada total listing one might think you can only do 10k dps if they don't know you died, but if they see you listed with 500k dps and having very low dmg done they'll clearly know you died.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Recount takes your dps in terms of the damage you did per second while you were dpsing.
    This is the most accurate definition of what DPS (Damage per second) really is.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    This is the most accurate definition of what DPS (Damage per second) really is.
    Debateable. The term DPS does not define whether it is damage per second of active time, or damage per second of fight.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    If you have a basic understanding of how they both work, then I'm sure you can make the connection yourself. Recount takes your dps in terms of the damage you did per second while you were dpsing. Skada takes into account your active time in terms of the fight, so if you took a break in the middle of the fight, your dps would be lower than it would be if you were using recount. WoL uses effective dps or dps (e) to determine rankings, which is what Skada tracks. Effective dps is of course more important than the dps you did while you were playing, because it doesn't matter if you did 500k dps in the first 20 seconds and then died, because you didn't contribute very much to the group.

    Now, if you want actual proof? Well, I'm not going to go around busting my ass to explain something that is pretty simple to understand. Recount = dps and Skada = dps (e)

    - - - Updated - - -



    WoL's DPS (e) is what is used to determine whether you ranked or not, SO actually you've got it backwards.
    Kind of a waste of post 1337 if you ask me . But you are right. Skada shows effictive DPS, recount shows only DPS. Doesn't really matter how much DPS you do if it doesn't factor in active time.

    If you take a 10min fight and you do let's say 60mil damage in the first minute and after stop, you'll get:
    1mil DPS from Recount and it stops here.
    100k DPS from Skada.

    WoL will track you according to Skada numbers else you would see parses well into 1mil+ in fights like Council of Elders (Lol fire mage combustion spread and after dying)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    No it isn't. That's what Total Damage Done is there for.
    If you did 500k dps during the first 20 seconds and then died, showing up as having done 10k dps is as inaccurate as it can get.
    From looking at the skada total listing one might think you can only do 10k dps if they don't know you died, but if they see you listed with 500k dps and having very low dmg done they'll clearly know you died.


    This is the most accurate definition of what DPS (Damage per second) really is.
    But you only did 10k DPS. If you are dead, you don't contribute to the fight. Dead DPS does no DPS. I really want to see how you kill a boss with 25 people doing 500k DPS in the first 20 seconds and after dying. Call me when you do that.
    *Current Content boss to be more specific.

  7. #87
    The reason skada is "less accurate" is because most of the time it won't start recording until you actually start to dps or heal, which is usually only a problem in lfr when you aren't 100% with it. But as long as you are there for pulls then it isn't a problem. I prefer skada because I like to watch damage and healing at the same time.

  8. #88
    Epic! Lei Shi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Terrace of Endless Spring
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    But you only did 10k DPS. If you are dead, you don't contribute to the fight. Dead DPS does no DPS. I really want to see how you kill a boss with 25 people doing 500k DPS in the first 20 seconds and after dying. Call me when you do that.
    *Current Content boss to be more specific.
    That's not the definition of what DPS is. Your time spent dead can't be included in your DPS, because you're well.. dead. That's what Damage Done is there for.
    DPS is to see your potential, Damage Done is to see what you have actually done during the whole fight.

    Shek'zeer is a good example for this where there are times you have nothing to do between the last add kill and her coming back, that downtime can last like 20-30 seconds if you killed the adds fast.

    Lei Shi hide phases are another example.

  9. #89
    If you want to upload logs to WoL and need to know how much DPS(e) you do in game, use Skada.
    Skada counts the dps with "damage done/time in combat=dps". Recount is "damage done/time spent actually dpsing=dps".

    Because of this, Recount is never going to add up with WoL effective DPS (well, not unless it's a patchwerk fight), which is what the ranked logs are made of.
    Last edited by Juicebox; 2013-07-07 at 03:58 PM.

  10. #90
    All of us raiders are using Skada, and we do not even need to discuss why, people who is still using recount has probably not tried skada.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    That's not the definition of what DPS is. Your time spent dead can't be included in your DPS, because you're well.. dead. That's what Damage Done is there for.
    DPS is to see your potential, Damage Done is to see what you have actually done during the whole fight.

    Shek'zeer is a good example for this where there are times you have nothing to do between the last add kill and her coming back, that downtime can last like 20-30 seconds if you killed the adds fast.

    Lei Shi hide phases are another example.
    Well the issue with this it that I see "seconds (from DPS)" as in the total time the FIGHT lasted in seconds. Unless we have a way of knowing when those "nothing to hit" phases are for each attempt, I'd say the way Skada does it is the way to go.
    Recount kind of measures DPTB (damage per time bothering).

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    That's not the definition of what DPS is. Your time spent dead can't be included in your DPS, because you're well.. dead. That's what Damage Done is there for.
    DPS is to see your potential, Damage Done is to see what you have actually done during the whole fight.

    Shek'zeer is a good example for this where there are times you have nothing to do between the last add kill and her coming back, that downtime can last like 20-30 seconds if you killed the adds fast.

    Lei Shi hide phases are another example.
    You are so clueless that it hurts to read. The only reason people are replying to you is because they are bored and feel obligated to set you straight. If you don't understand you're wrong at this point in the thread then I suggest you kindly uninstall this game, delete your forum account, and go to facebook and play farmville. This is the point where I'd normally say all real raiders are laughing at you, but at this stage even mediocre players understand the concepts in which you clearly do not understand. You're worse than mediocre. Damn, that's bad. Anyway I'm bored. Let me show you why you're wrong.

    "DPS is to see your potential" No, it is something that is completely irrelevant and let me tell you why. DPS can be altered, cheated, and gimicked through the usage of buffs, tricks, and padding on mobs that do not need to die. Any raider worth their salt understands the concept of effective damage. Why does x add need to be damaged at a particular point in a fight? Wouldn't me damage be better spent doing something else? Could transitioning earlier or later in a fight, or keeping an add alive or killing it faster give a timing advantage in the fight?

    These are all things that matter much more than seeing how much an individual can "potentially" do in a fight. No one gives a shit what kind of numbers you can pull unless its effective. My guilds old warlock pads so hard on every fight because he had an ego problem. Sometimes we would get overrun on add fights because he would spread dots and wouldnt single target shit down. "Oh, but his dps is high tho so he must be good!" Wrong. He is a padding whore who is not worth anything in a real raid environment.

    You speak of potential, and yet you clearly have none of it yourself. Kindly leave this thread. You're lucky I even spent the time to explain this easy concept to you.

    Infracted. Please refrain from personal attacks.
    ~ Treeston
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-07-07 at 09:46 PM.

  13. #93
    Dreadlord DrMcNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Training with Batman in the Batcave
    Posts
    796
    Skada for a couple of reasons: A lot less memory, easy window switching, easy configuration (A better UI) and I find that these numbers match my WoL information much better than Recount.

    But, the ultimate winner should be World of Logs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It is uneducated worthless trash like you who drags the game community down to where it is. You obviously know nothing about how the game works, not to mention anything about raiding. 70 years ago, trash like you would have been put down on the spot for such a rotten attitude. Just quit the game already, or better yet, go kill yourself.
    Who are you talking to? In any case, I would refrain from trash talking people in this manner, mods don't like this kind of behaviour said past experience. Lei Shi is a kind spirit with a warm heart :<

  14. #94
    Epic! Lei Shi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Terrace of Endless Spring
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Who are you talking to?
    To the retard of post #92.

    Infracted. Please refrain from personal attacks.
    ~ Treeston
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-07-07 at 09:46 PM.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Guessing something like DPS and Heals (good for raid leaders to gauge performance?) or threat (lol threat) and DPS, or similar.
    Lol threat, yes there are indeed fights where threat matters. Not many, but they exist. Dark Animus Heroic for example. By default I run with Healing and Damage Done.

    Skada will, by default, only start counting when you start to perform (ie. healing in combat, or doing damage). It is possible to emulate Recount mode which starts to count when people around you start to perform. This is called "Agressive Combat Detection" which you can enable in Skada config.

    As someone else already mentioned Word of Logs is better than either Skada or Recount or anything like that.

    Skada has a lot more bells and whistles to count certain stuff. If one wants a very simple damage meter which only counts damage there is TinyDPS.
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

  16. #96
    Bloodsail Admiral Xisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,042
    I'll give a very easy answer.

    Recount measures Damage Done / Encounter length.

    Skada measures Damage Done / Your (personal) time in combat.

    Both of those have their uses. I've found as a Raid leader, due the superior breakdown capacity within Recount, it's a better add-on to run. Good Raid Leaders know certain people's damage is going to be lesser due to certain mechanics, and shouldn't be punishing people for it.

  17. #97
    Recount always has been and always will be more popular. Personally I've found it to be more accurate then Skada. Others have found the opposite or that they're about the same but I like recount more and will continue to use it.

  18. #98
    Alright guys, keep it civil. There is no need to resort to personal attacks in the course of debate unless you want to force me to break out the infractions.
    UI & AddOns expert | Interface & Macros moderator - My work

  19. #99
    They are about the same. I use Skada because it tracks a few more things and has some more (simpler) customisation options.

    Recount does that nice Pie Chart damage-by-spell breakdown, which is kinda nice.

    Both fill pretty much the same Niche, its a matter of preference.

  20. #100
    Skada wins.

    For user-friendliness, and CPU-friendliness. I like how it's very simple to find out who took how much damage from exactly what source. Simple to see who's doing how much damage to which adds, etc.

    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.
    Tenkuu Seratonin
    Annegwish

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •