Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Skada Vs Recount

I've known in the past that Skada was less accurate than Recount but provided a more stable interface but that was back in early cata.

Which are people tending to you most now a days? I like that Skada allows for double windows which I like but I don't want to switch if Recount is more accurate.

Deleted
    Recount is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Recount is more accurate.
    I'd love to see some actual proof of this.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I loved skada during cata because it was more accurate on absorption dam heal (I'm a disc priest) but for Mist recount bounce back and is now even better that skada was on that.
    I always feel like recount was more accurate on dps side (at the cost of asking more from your computer)
    I would say stay with recount (btw I'm prety sure there is addons to add on top of recount to get more than 1 windows)

10+ Year Old Account
    "more accurate" means at whatever time they tested both, the one they consistently had higher numbers on lol

I tested both for a month (12 raids), but didn't record any of that testing because I didn't think it would end up being useful for anyone but me. (Wasn't visiting these forums at the time.) I was comparing what I got from the two meters to World of Logs. I honestly found that they ended up both being wildly inaccurate on certain fights and measurements (and no, I'm not talking about fights like Sha where you get ported away) and surprisingly accurate on others. Some fights one would be more accurate, some fights the other would be. Also, sometimes one would be inaccurate high and the other would be inaccurate low. Again, this is all compared to World of Logs, and I'm not sure how one would go about testing it's accuracy, so who knows.

Anyway, in the end I chose Skada just for the multiple windows and the healing category that shows heals and over heals on the same bars. But I wouldn't worry too much about which one you go with; they're both flawed, but both can be used as a good tool in the same ways. I largely use mine to run our heal team and make sure our less experienced healers are staying true to their assignments when they have one, or are utilizing the correct tools for a specific fight if it feels like we were lacking something in a wipe, etc. If I want really specific numbers, I go to World of Logs afterward.

skada has always been my go-to after swapping from recount a few years ago.
    Recount would always throw weird LUA errors back then for me.

Deleted
    No clue about which one is more accurate atm, but recount eats away alot from the cpu in comparrison to skada for some reason.

For dps and healing 'current' fights. Recount will show and average while skada gives you real time numbers.

An example is when you used a cool down and you can watch skada dps increase right away while recount takes it time.

Recount has always been more accurate, and most likely always will be .. Also an obvious reason as to why it takes so much more to run it than Skada

Proof .. Very simple (but still time comsuming) : Just do a very short fight and compare results into a WoL log or straight into the combat log in game (preferably a fight with several group members, as this is where Skada lacks more behind than Recount in my experience 'Recount is better at picking up what other people do, than Skada is' .. For personal DPS/HPS/whatevz, they're probably almost identical-Mostly guessing on this part, as I haven't used Skada for years. Funnily 'yes, now that's a word!' enough because I often got very weird results with Skada compared to what I actually saw, and what other people linked)

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    Which are people tending to you most now a days?

According to Curse, more people use Recount.

Rarch has the right of it here. Users are going to gravitate toward which has: the feature set they prefer, the lowest impact on performance, or gives them the highest numbers to link in chat. Personally, I find that Skada's DPS metric is more useful. Recount (unless something has changed since I last looked into it) tends to give DPS calculated as Damage Done divided by Player Active Time. Skada divides Damage Done by Encounter Duration. Why is this noteworthy? With the focus people apply to DPS links instead of actual Damage Done, it's important to have reporting that isn't suffering from mechanics bias. Certain classes, most notably Mages, have higher-than-average DPS/Activity... which players use incorrectly when flashing their ePeens. Putting everyone on a the same reporting level by using DPS/Encounter is better suited for most purposes.

Recount has always been more popular and has a number of tools that I wish were available in Skada, such as the break-down of attacks. The pie chart and hit/crit breakdown for all attacks is done better in Recount than the mouse-over and drill-down results seen in Skada. The real-time graph of raid DPS is also a neat feature, but I'm not sure how the DPS/Activity bias plays into its accuracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was always a firm user of Recount and used to diss Skada (after trying it in WotLK I believe, maybe Cata as well).

Back then Recount was much better.

Now I prefer Skada as they have greatly improved the interface and I find them both to be fairly accurate compared to WoL. I had issues with Recount in 25 man, that is why I gave Skada another chance, and I have not regretted it.

I had been using Recount for years, made the switch to Skada on Elegon, and never came back =)

Recount is (even now) quite good and give fairly accurate numbers if there is little to no downtime. However, if we use WoL numbers as a base, then Skada is always closer to that. More importantly, Skada is much lighter than Recount performance-wise. I wasn't surprised that almost everyone who complained about heavy fps drop during early heroism in certain fights (Lei Shen, Lei Shi, Elegon, Vizier, Gara'jal to name a few) found their problem fixed when they turned off recount.
    I miss Recount's death report, but there is always WoL for that analysis.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had recount errors really. Guess I was lucky.
    I don't like either, really. I share GC's opinion in that regard. These tools are as much of a blessing as they are a curse.
    After using both for some time, I've stuck with recount, simply because imo Skada is too bloated. Recounts stat abilities aren't matched by skada either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    I wasn't surprised that almost everyone who complained about heavy fps drop during early heroism in certain fights (Lei Shen, Lei Shi, Elegon, Vizier, Gara'jal to name a few) found their problem fixed when they turned off recount.
    I miss Recount's death report, but there is always WoL for that analysis.
    Hmmmmm.....
    I have said problem.. Especially Elegon I can almost forget. With a melee toon I'm completely screwed, with ranged I can "cheat: my way to at least a little bit of movement.
    I'll see if turning Recount off helps me on that.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I think most people who assert that one is more "accurate" than the other misunderstand the difference in how they calculate.

I mean, they're both working off the combat log. So the only way they could be "inaccurate" is if the combat log is wrong (in which case everything, including WoL, is wrong) or if they have bugs. I'm sure that they have both had plenty of calculation bugs at various points in their lifetimes, but I'm equally sure they got ironed out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SalcN View Post
    Recount has always been more accurate, and most likely always will be .. Also an obvious reason as to why it takes so much more to run it than Skada

Proof .. Very simple (but still time comsuming) : Just do a very short fight and compare results into a WoL log or straight into the combat log in game (preferably a fight with several group members, as this is where Skada lacks more behind than Recount in my experience 'Recount is better at picking up what other people do, than Skada is' .. For personal DPS/HPS/whatevz, they're probably almost identical-Mostly guessing on this part, as I haven't used Skada for years. Funnily 'yes, now that's a word!' enough because I often got very weird results with Skada compared to what I actually saw, and what other people linked)
    Neither is more accurate.
    Both simply use different measures.
    Recount is the longer established addon, and the more popular simply because it was the first as far as I am aware to offer the feature set it did.
    Lots of people still use Pitbull or XPerl as a unitframe addon for the same reason, even though they are now arguably inferior than some newer ones.

Deleted
    You can have 2 windows open at the same time in skada. So It's better

Quote Originally Posted by nsj View Post
    You can have 2 windows open at the same time in skada. So It's better
    What's the point to have 2 windows open?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    What's the point to have 2 windows open?
    Guessing something like DPS and Heals (good for raid leaders to gauge performance?) or threat (lol threat) and DPS, or similar.