Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would you want one Hunter spec without permanent pet?

Many players (including me) have expressed a desire to see the playstyle of a Diablo Demon Hunter in WoW.

For me, the main difference between a Diablo Demon Hunter and a WoW Hunter is that the Demon Hunter does not have as significant a reliance on pets.

WoW designers have expressed having difficulty inventing a compelling identities for Hunter specs, especially some clear distinction between Marksmanship and Survival. Beast Mastery has a clear identity - its reliance on the pet - but Marksmanship and Survival struggle to differentiate themselves.

Would you want one of the Hunter specs - either Marksmanship or Survival - to differentiate itself by de-emphasizing the pet?

Whichever spec is chosen would lose the permanent pet, but would continue to have access to pets during cooldowns (e.g. Stampede). The Hunter would instead gain increased personal damage, and increased utility to compensate for the loss of a permanent pet.

This topic has been discussed add nosium.

Yes BM pet spec (make it the cleave spec)
    Yes MM petless sniper, (basic ST spec)
    Yes SV as dot spec. (Take BA off cd, add another dot, have haste effect dots and u solve our multi dot problem that has been horrid for the past 3+ years.)

Covers any and all type of fights, gives each spec a completely different feel and play style.

Next?

I think same as Larry01, something like warlock's spec right now, every is a different playstyle

Would love it for Marksmanship. For the other 2 specs, not so much.

Deleted
    I honestly don't care. It might be nice, and of course there are plenty of times where I feel like kicking my pet off a cliff, but I'm fine with pets for the most part.

Now that's out of the way I've always played Demon Hunters with a Animal Companion. Used different runes depending on the situation. Do like to see turrets in World of Warcraft though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already topics about this exact thing. Please search before you post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry01 View Post
    This topic has been discussed add nosium.

Yes BM pet spec (make it the cleave spec)
    Yes MM petless sniper, (basic ST spec)
    Yes SV as dot spec. (Take BA off cd, add another dot, have haste effect dots and u solve our multi dot problem that has been horrid for the past 3+ years.)

Covers any and all type of fights, gives each spec a completely different feel and play style.

Next?
    yes i'd like that, i rerolled warlock mostly because all hunter specs have exactly same playstyle while every warlock specs feels like different class

No matter how many threads you make, I will always be afraid that they'd never be able to balance it right and would end u forcing a playstyle on a person who never wanted that change to the class.Warlocks don't bond with their demons - you as a player might, but lore doesn't read "bonds with the cuddly Void Walker". Like druids, hunters have an affinity with nature. They aren't true rangers.

I'd actually pay the salaries out of my own pocket for them to develop a separate petless ranger class just to stop all the "I rolled a hunter because I want a ranger but I hate the actual mechanics of a hunter and refuse to roll anything else despite that!" complaints.

Deleted
    hunter without a pet is just not a hunter in my eyes. o well everone has a different opnion

Quote Originally Posted by insectoid View Post
    hunter without a pet is just not a hunter in my eyes. o well everone has a different opnion
    Well a hunter doesn't really need a pet to hunt...

anyways it would be awesome for marksman to be a pet-less spec.

maybe through glyph/talent somehow. so it can be an option.

Deleted
    Well a marksman doesnt need the use of a pet. but still it just doesnt feel right :P

I wouldn't mind a petless MM spec. I don't want it as much as I wanted a petless warlock spec though.

Nope, Hunters have pets. Never going to happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I really want to play a melee hunter.
    Why?
    I don't get it. What is the big deal with people wanting melee Hunters apart from nostalgia when it was actually a sort of real thing in Vanilla?

I don't see what they could add to a ''melee Hunter'' that doesn't already exist in other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Why?
    I don't get it. What is the big deal with people wanting melee Hunters apart from nostalgia when it was actually a sort of real thing in Vanilla?

I don't see what they could add to a ''melee Hunter'' that doesn't already exist in other classes.
    No melee class in the game has a pet.

I don't want to melee, my main is a hunter.. but some people want a melee class that has a pet. Hunters should remain ranged only, but I think the next class should be a pure DPS melee class with a pet. DK has Tank/DPS specs, and Monk has all 3 specs. We've yet to get a new pure DPS class (rogue, hunter, mage, lock). There's also a lack of pure dps melee classes. There are 3 for ranged, and only 1 for melee.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2013-07-06 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    No melee class in the game has a pet.
    Unholy DKs have a pet.

The closest you can probably come to a melee hunter spec is enhancement shaman. You can summon ghost wolves for a short time. Monks also have Xuen but its more kung fu than weapon combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Unholy DKs have a pet.

The closest you can probably come to a melee hunter spec is enhancement shaman. You can summon ghost wolves for a short time. Monks also have Xuen but its more kung fu than weapon combat.
    I really would not call what unholy DK gets a pet. They don't get stables, they can't spec it, they can't name it, they can't tame others, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    I really would not call what unholy DK gets a pet. They don't get stables, they can't spec it, they can't name it, they can't tame others, etc.
    If thats the case then only hunters have pets because no other class can do anything but summon them and mind control some mobs. Hunters are different but other classes have pets, semi controllable creatures that do damage for the player.