Herald of the Titans BiS and Spec

So I just got a mage up to 80 as my monk was not as helpful to my group of friends as a mage would be. That being said....

What is best DPS spec on this fight assuming BIS?

If assuming X is best spec, is wowhead reliable using the stat weights and removing hit (as the gear will almost 100% have more than enough)

Basically assume this is a beginner's guide to mage herald...even though I have done a lot of research. Had a fire mage do 50k in the herald I was able to pug on OR, but see lots of posts saying otherwise, as well as not seeing a 4p tier bonus being applicable to fire.

Anywho, hope to start a discussion.

Alasandra on Kil'Jaeden

Deleted
    Spec Fire as a mage.

Can find some info on wowhead.com , search for "Herald of the Titans".
    Also at twinkinfo.com you can search for "best-slot-herald-titans".

It's cool to see there are people doing stuf like this ^^

you really don't have to be BiS for this anymore. We (most in our group) did it with no enchants, gems, or BiS gear and still 3 shot it after some trial and error. I had all my gear/enchanted/gemmed but just made sure all my gear was 226 and 232 wep and we went in and did our thing.

we did this about 3 months ago too so it was fairly recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonore View Post
    Spec Fire as a mage.
    I'd say Frost could probably work too. Also, Fire loses 10% Damage until at least 85 due to Pyromaniac, not that it really matters too bad; the worst part is only being allowed to use 226 Armor (232 Weapons) for stats for Fire (and as we all know, Fire scales the highest and starts the lowest )

I wouldn't imagine Arcane being too good until 90, but you could be either Frost or Fire; shouldn't matter too much.

I did this during the 4.0 patch (Before cata went live though) and we got it after some trial and error, and I know I had a few shitty greens Keep in mind though with every patch/expansion that drops, different class mechanics are added, so HotT is significantly easier now than it was, say, Lich King or Cataclysm era.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

you know what it really is, I just want to do the MAX DPS possible. I have the title. I got it in a PUG through OpenRaid but as I have friends who still want it, and already have a 90 mage (so will probably leave this toon 80 and continue to run it), I just want to be doing as much damage as possible to increase my skillz. So, all ego. Fire is what I have been doing, and tbo I do fairly well. 600 tailor, 600 herbs, so I have a massive burst. My problem probably lies mostly in the fight CDs being so quick (BL and haste 3000) that I miss procs or do an extra Pyroblast without it being proc'd. Arcane is what I had read was the way to go, but upon meeting a fire mage who was doing 44k, I decided with fire. Last night I only did 18k however. And, it is all just kinda fun to mess with, especially bc I love wotlk. Yes, i know this can be stomped at this point so I am not looking for pointers on getting the achieve. Only on maximizing my mage to be "wow"! So, keep the discussions going. in the OP I linked my armory (well, kind of)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosmunki View Post
    you know what it really is, I just want to do the MAX DPS possible. I have the title. I got it in a PUG through OpenRaid but as I have friends who still want it, and already have a 90 mage (so will probably leave this toon 80 and continue to run it), I just want to be doing as much damage as possible to increase my skillz. So, all ego. Fire is what I have been doing, and tbo I do fairly well. 600 tailor, 600 herbs, so I have a massive burst. My problem probably lies mostly in the fight CDs being so quick (BL and haste 3000) that I miss procs or do an extra Pyroblast without it being proc'd. Arcane is what I had read was the way to go, but upon meeting a fire mage who was doing 44k, I decided with fire. Last night I only did 18k however. And, it is all just kinda fun to mess with, especially bc I love wotlk. Yes, i know this can be stomped at this point so I am not looking for pointers on getting the achieve. Only on maximizing my mage to be "wow"! So, keep the discussions going. in the OP I linked my armory (well, kind of)
    Arcane, definitely arcane. Remember the old burn phase/conserve phase rotation? Do that. Make sure you reforge everything you can to mastery as well.

A fire mage doing 44k on Algalon needs 2 things:

1. A raid team with 1 tank, 1 healer, and 8 dps all doing over 20k dps (so the fight is way way short)

2. An incredibly lucky streak of procs to build a massive combustion.

Even then, I still have a hard time believing that a mage in 226 gear could get that much dps. Generally speaking 10-15k dps is very good for any class, and 20k would be exceptional.

For arcane, you'd want to camp 4 AB stacks by being fed innervate, hymn of hope, whatever the resto shaman mana cooldown is, along with tricks of the trade about 6-8 seconds into the fight, use your mana gem, and also your herald team must all have high dps to kill algalon before the first big bang.

Finally, regarding 44k dps, remember that dps numbers can be cheesed. One of my guildies was looking at WoL and there were two Fury warriors who had the top parses on 10man megs, and their dps was 100k+ higher than the rank 3 and below. When I looked at the parse that got them that rank, I saw the fight length was only 44 seconds, and they had done about 1/10th the total damage that would be needed to kill megs. In other words, they started their combat log with ~ 40 seconds left in the fight, right when they casted bloodlust, and got an ezmode top rank.

If that 44k dps parse is on WoL, I'd sure like to see it, if nothing else I can tell you exactly what he did to get that 44k dps, or tell you if it's legit or not.

Edit: Regarding your gear, get your 4 piece (that will also substantially help with fire if you stick with it), and get a better trinket than the Yogg-saron one. Illustration of the Dragon Soul (from Sarth 25 Normal) or Eye of the Broodmother (Ulduar 10 Normal from Razorscale) should be significant upgrades on the Yogg trinket. Even Dying Curse from Naxx 25 would be an upgrade.
    Last edited by Pyromelter; 2013-07-03 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    Arcane, definitely arcane. Remember the old burn phase/conserve phase rotation? Do that. Make sure you reforge everything you can to mastery as well.

1. A raid team with 1 tank, 1 healer, and 8 dps all doing over 20k dps (so the fight is way way short)

Even then, I still have a hard time believing that a mage in 226 gear could get that much dps. Generally speaking 10-15k dps is very good for any class, and 20k would be exceptional.

For arcane, you'd want to camp 4 AB stacks by being fed innervate, hymn of hope, whatever the resto shaman mana cooldown is, along with tricks of the trade about 6-8 seconds into the fight, use your mana gem, and also your herald team must all have high dps to kill algalon before the first big bang.

Finally, regarding 44k dps, remember that dps numbers can be cheesed. One of my guildies was looking at WoL and there were two Fury warriors who had the top parses on 10man megs, and their dps was 100k+ higher than the rank 3 and below. When I looked at the parse that got them that rank, I saw the fight length was only 44 seconds, and they had done about 1/10th the total damage that would be needed to kill megs. In other words, they started their combat log with ~ 40 seconds left in the fight, right when they casted bloodlust, and got an ezmode top rank.

If that 44k dps parse is on WoL, I'd sure like to see it, if nothing else I can tell you exactly what he did to get that 44k dps, or tell you if it's legit or not.

Edit: Regarding your gear, get your 4 piece (that will also substantially help with fire if you stick with it), and get a better trinket than the Yogg-saron one. Illustration of the Dragon Soul (from Sarth 25 Normal) or Eye of the Broodmother (Ulduar 10 Normal from Razorscale) should be significant upgrades on the Yogg trinket. Even Dying Curse from Naxx 25 would be an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post

Ok first I am writing on my phone so...bear with me. A) it was my recount, so I know it was 44k but I deleted recount since and went with skada. Not sure f the info would still be around.

2) I have the 8.5 their 4 in my bags was just playing with different eating options. Also have the illustration trinket. I have pretty much held onto any gear that may help me out or be able to be reworked. Arcane from what I read and some simucraft and the numbers seemed much lower. The strat I took was gemming all 20
    Int and reforming everything mastery after hit cap. I leveled tailor/herbs as the guy with 44 said the haste>engi boosts. I actually still wonder which is op.

With the fight after lag actually starts my opening macro casts MI, volcanic potion, lifeblood, Pom, (and possibly something else) and then immediately cast pyro last for the insta. At that point it is pretty much trying to not get ahead of myself by getting excited and keeping up with my proca which are constant. Lifeblood usage an MI usage (as to the best part of the fight) seems like it may or may not be best placed. So I do think I may have been able to pull an extra k or 2, but I seriously just wanna blow up hard. I followed some of the other things you mentioned but glancing at this after a long night and as I said, on my phone. Doesn't the 4p teir bonus not apply anymore? Isn't hot streak no longer applicable?

Anyways thanks for a well thought out response. I love theory rafting for this coax with mop mechanics and just trying to be a superhero. Love the feedback and hope there is more to come. Also hope I had not too many typos with autocorrect but I'm too tired to reread it. Using wowhead stat weights for 226 minus hit (just removed it) gave me a clear list of bis...I think I am starting to repeat myself now so will post more tomorrow after sleep. Hope you can respond to all. Glad others don't mind thinking o the theory crafting for this!