1. #1

    What's the deal with the Emerald Dream?

    I'm seeing lots of people putting up the occasional post about how they'd like an expansion in the Emerald Dream, how it'd be good gameplay, etc etc. My question is: "Why?"

    To my knowledge, the Emerald Dream is just the same version of the normal world, without people. No destruction, deforestation, cities, Azshara doesn't look like the Horde emblem, etc etc.

    So what is so compelling about it? Before Cata there was a corruption. After Cata there wasn't anymore. Now we don't have Ysera as an aspect, shouldn't the Dream be gone?

  2. #2
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    The aspects still have there basic shit like going into the dream yada yada however there immortality and such are gone from using it on deathwing if correctly.

  3. #3
    they want the emerald dream because it will show Kalimdor Pre-Sundering. Asin a single super-continent that it was before the Well of Eternity was destroyed.

    Myself I think it could be pretty damned cool, especially if they did it part dealing with the Dream and part a bit of time Travel to follow the acts of the Sundering and we could get to take part in the original invasion of Azeroth. (Afterall they would have already created the zones and likely the lifeforms etc would be similar...)

    Personally I would prefer mopping up the problems on Azeroth before we deal with the Legion, but I dont think that will happen. (Even though I love the Legion themed battles, which is why i'd prefer Emerald Dream + Time Travel to aid Krasus, Ronin and Brox keep the timeline.)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiferH View Post
    I'm seeing lots of people putting up the occasional post about how they'd like an expansion in the Emerald Dream, how it'd be good gameplay, etc etc. My question is: "Why?"

    To my knowledge, the Emerald Dream is just the same version of the normal world, without people. No destruction, deforestation, cities, Azshara doesn't look like the Horde emblem, etc etc.

    So what is so compelling about it? Before Cata there was a corruption. After Cata there wasn't anymore. Now we don't have Ysera as an aspect, shouldn't the Dream be gone?
    you cant make any permanent changes to the dream without immense power (like the old gods) there is still a bit of the nightmare left and ysera has basically said "fuck it not my prob" since shes lost her powers so its possible it could grow again however i think it would fit more as a raid/daily hub in its current state unless it grows out of control or something.

    as for why people want it, most people dont really want it they just remember a bunch of things talking about it in vanilla and rumours of ways to get into it. then there was the unfinished zone that people found a way into.


    outland, northrend and the emerald dream were all originally going to be lvl 60 zones added in as patches late, blizzard changed their minds and decided to make them expansions and never decided to do anything about the dream because they probably realized a pangea esque continent would be a huge undertaking, and they couldnt make any permanent changes to it, and it was thrown on the backburner never to be seen again excepts when lore characters occasionally bring it up

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    The aspects still have there basic shit like going into the dream yada yada however there immortality and such are gone from using it on deathwing if correctly.
    nope in the new ebook ysera says something like "it is up to the druids now" when kalec asks her why she isnt helping out anymore

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    they want the emerald dream because it will show Kalimdor Pre-Sundering. Asin a single super-continent that it was before the Well of Eternity was destroyed.

    Myself I think it could be pretty damned cool, especially if they did it part dealing with the Dream and part a bit of time Travel to follow the acts of the Sundering and we could get to take part in the original invasion of Azeroth. (Afterall they would have already created the zones and likely the lifeforms etc would be similar...)

    Personally I would prefer mopping up the problems on Azeroth before we deal with the Legion, but I dont think that will happen. (Even though I love the Legion themed battles, which is why i'd prefer Emerald Dream + Time Travel to aid Krasus, Ronin and Brox keep the timeline.)
    ummm, the point in time where the dream is and the sundering is like thousands and thousands of years before the night elves even existed.

  5. #5
    Elemental Lord Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiferH View Post
    I'm seeing lots of people putting up the occasional post about how they'd like an expansion in the Emerald Dream, how it'd be good gameplay, etc etc. My question is: "Why?"

    To my knowledge, the Emerald Dream is just the same version of the normal world, without people. No destruction, deforestation, cities, Azshara doesn't look like the Horde emblem, etc etc.

    So what is so compelling about it? Before Cata there was a corruption. After Cata there wasn't anymore. Now we don't have Ysera as an aspect, shouldn't the Dream be gone?
    Has been asked and answered so many times. There are still hints at a lingering corruption in the Emerald Dream. They also said that they eventually want us to go there. Also, if they make an expansion about the Emerald Dream, I think they are creative enough to come up with something. Not every Emerald Dream zone has to look the same. Who knows what Azeroth looked like in its original state. Who knows what creatures now inhabit it. They make up new races every expansion. The Emerald dream is much bigger than our Azeroth. There could be places no mortal, who has wandered the Dream, has ever seen. That is where creative people come into it, who can make things up. It's not true that the Emerald Dream has to be one giant, boring forest. And you can have Nightmare forces invading it and having an effect on the land, change it, like Deathwing and the Twilight's Hammer did with the old world in Cataclysm. Why are some of you so uncreative?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiferH View Post
    I'm seeing lots of people putting up the occasional post about how they'd like an expansion in the Emerald Dream, how it'd be good gameplay, etc etc. My question is: "Why?"

    To my knowledge, the Emerald Dream is just the same version of the normal world, without people. No destruction, deforestation, cities, Azshara doesn't look like the Horde emblem, etc etc.

    So what is so compelling about it? Before Cata there was a corruption. After Cata there wasn't anymore. Now we don't have Ysera as an aspect, shouldn't the Dream be gone?
    Some people have already answered this, but it can never be repeated enough since there are always those out there spreading misinformation and pooping all over the party, but the Dream is not a city-less reflection of modern day Azeroth. The Dream reflects the original version of Azeroth that the Titans envisioned - it is a spiritual plane that takes the form of the original single mega-continent that existed before the Sundering broke it up into the separate lands we explore currently.

    People often complain that the Dream would be 'just forests/Azeroth,' as if that would be a bad thing - most of the zones in the game could be described as some kind of forest. Pandaria's climate was more of what we'd seen already, and it was still magnificent. But the Dream isn't just a big forest - it contains every kind of climate imaginable. Forests, mountains, jungles, deserts, arctic tundra, seas, etc. The Dream's zones wouldn't be 'all green' any more than Northrend's largely wintery landscapes would be 'all white'. And it could still be cool even if it were - imagine a desert with green sand and black obsidian mountains. Be pretty cool.

    It is also a highly magical place outside the laws of material Azeroth, so we can get weirdness like this:



    Think Outland level weirdness and then some. Huge opportunity for creative environments completely unlike anything we've ever seen before.

    As for a compelling reason to go there - the Nightmare still exists. Cataclysm made it clear in multiple questlines that the Nightmare is still in the Dream and has begun to spread through it once again. It is also mentioned in fiction outside the game that the Nightmare is searching for another entity to become the Nightmare Lord and direct its forces. Ysera's depowering only opens the way for the Nightmare to spread further, and for us mortals to get in on the action.

    Frankly, I'd rather see the Emerald Dream than the Legion, or even Azshara.

  7. #7
    apart from looking pretty, i dont see much in the way of actual gameplay available inside the dream - you have essentially got an old god hiding away in the rift of aln, thats about it. you could deal with him in a raid, which could be easily pretensed with: the dream is starting to show signs of corruption again, the druids have requested help in bringing a final end to the nightmare of the rift. go in, kill nzoth, return the dream to a glowy green state, go home.

    they would have to create a shed load of filler lore to even consider a emerald dream zone within an expansion, let alone an entire expansion based around the emerald dream. but then it might be a chance for an alliance hero to shine, malfurion could get his badassery on.

    honestly, i'd be dissapointed if the next expansion heads into the emerald dream, i just dont see enough solid story in it - retcons included.
    <insert witty signature here>

  8. #8
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Some people have already answered this, but it can never be repeated enough since there are always those out there spreading misinformation and pooping all over the party, but the Dream is not a city-less reflection of modern day Azeroth. The Dream reflects the original version of Azeroth that the Titans envisioned - it is a spiritual plane that takes the form of the original single mega-continent that existed before the Sundering broke it up into the separate lands we explore currently.

    People often complain that the Dream would be 'just forests/Azeroth,' as if that would be a bad thing - most of the zones in the game could be described as some kind of forest. Pandaria's climate was more of what we'd seen already, and it was still magnificent. But the Dream isn't just a big forest - it contains every kind of climate imaginable. Forests, mountains, jungles, deserts, arctic tundra, seas, etc. The Dream's zones wouldn't be 'all green' any more than Northrend's largely wintery landscapes would be 'all white'. And it could still be cool even if it were - imagine a desert with green sand and black obsidian mountains. Be pretty cool.

    It is also a highly magical place outside the laws of material Azeroth, so we can get weirdness like this:



    Think Outland level weirdness and then some. Huge opportunity for creative environments completely unlike anything we've ever seen before.

    As for a compelling reason to go there - the Nightmare still exists. Cataclysm made it clear in multiple questlines that the Nightmare is still in the Dream and has begun to spread through it once again. It is also mentioned in fiction outside the game that the Nightmare is searching for another entity to become the Nightmare Lord and direct its forces. Ysera's depowering only opens the way for the Nightmare to spread further, and for us mortals to get in on the action.

    Frankly, I'd rather see the Emerald Dream than the Legion, or even Azshara.
    This is why I want to go there!!

    They could make it look like the best fucking fantasy zone in the history of Warcraft, they could go absolutely apeshit with design on anything and everything there.

    I want Blizzard to go apeshit on designing fantasy in the Emerald Dream.

    Imagine Deserts filled with monsters, floating island, lava.

    Imagine forests with deep underground lakes, which roots penetrate as food source for several dwellers, kinds of crystals and ores lighting up the very way. [This isn't very weird though]

    Imagine a vast ocean, in the sky, in a bubble form, with an island in the middle of all that water, protected by an air pocket.

    Come on Blizzard, go nuts!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •