1. #1

    Opening Burst Damage Across All Specs

    Greetings,

    I've been struggling for some reason over the last few weeks, but today I finally figured out what my problem was: Initial burst damage. I fixed up my demonology burst damage and I'm finally where I was a few weeks (probably better). Now I'm trying to figure out a burst rotation for affliction and destruction. Can anyone share their experience? I'm particularly interested in affliction, since that was my bread and butter. I'm not sure what turned me into demonology this expansion. I eventually want to create a cast sequence macro specifically for openers.

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire Zevoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    477
    I eventually want to create a cast sequence macro specifcally for openers
    Not a very good idea.

  3. #3
    An opening macro works great for Demonology, but I'm not sure how feasible it is for the other specs. Not an awful lot going on there, and somewhat dependent on procs.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome darkminaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cambodia
    Posts
    614
    F,1,2(depending on proc of meta 3),Shift-1,shift-3,shift-2,f,f,f,2,f,f,f,f <-- till my fury is gone / darksoul is off = 200-400k depending on rppm trinket luck proc (more if hero is on :P)
    if meta doesnt proc
    F,1,2,f,f,2,Shift-1,shift-3,shift-2,3,f,f,f,2,f,f,f,f


    so a sequence makro would fuck me up

    destru is mostly waiting for 2 embers / trinket proc, darksoul and chaosbolt pewpew

    affli the simple haunt -> 3 dots -> mf mf mf .. trinket procs + ds -> 3dots -> haunt active till high dots are off -> normal prio

    makros are bad and you schould feel bad if you use one :P

  5. #5
    Dreadlord dawawe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atl, Ga
    Posts
    897
    i never had much success with demo opener spam since most of my grp wait forever to pull bosses. But when my fury was full for a pull i could pull decent burst. That being said i never had problems topping meters as demo but i have switch back to aff because i like it a lot more. Opening burst is just precast SB 10 seconds before pull so u can have all 4 shards at pull and a free SS. prepot/DS precast haunt that should proc your trinkets and use your SB:SS and doomguard/wratchguard. after that just keep haunt up and MG spam
    Why read words when we can kill stuff the words tell us about?
    You have dreamed of death, you thought to escape it. Now, my little puppet, death is all you will ever know.
    NO ITEMS EEEVVVEEERRR!!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    F,1,2(depending on proc of meta 3),Shift-1,shift-3,shift-2,f,f,f,2,f,f,f,f <-- till my fury is gone / darksoul is off = 200-400k depending on rppm trinket luck proc (more if hero is on :P)
    if meta doesnt proc
    F,1,2,f,f,2,Shift-1,shift-3,shift-2,3,f,f,f,2,f,f,f,f


    so a sequence makro would fuck me up

    destru is mostly waiting for 2 embers / trinket proc, darksoul and chaosbolt pewpew

    affli the simple haunt -> 3 dots -> mf mf mf .. trinket procs + ds -> 3dots -> haunt active till high dots are off -> normal prio

    makros are bad and you schould feel bad if you use one :P
    That's on you. I don't feel the least bit bad use a cast sequence macro for demonology. Without RPPM procs I'm pulling about 150K to 200K burst. I can't wait to try it with full buffs. I just need the macro for initial pulls. It's not something I will use mid fight. I don't have a problem checking down priority list.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    i never had much success with demo opener spam since most of my grp wait forever to pull bosses. But when my fury was full for a pull i could pull decent burst. That being said i never had problems topping meters as demo but i have switch back to aff because i like it a lot more. Opening burst is just precast SB 10 seconds before pull so u can have all 4 shards at pull and a free SS. prepot/DS precast haunt that should proc your trinkets and use your SB:SS and doomguard/wratchguard. after that just keep haunt up and MG spam
    I use affliction like no body's business. I really can't say why I went demonology, though I definitely like it as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrenka View Post
    Not a very good idea.
    How so? I see nothing wrong with it if it's strictly for an opener.

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral Cebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatTM View Post
    How so? I see nothing wrong with it if it's strictly for an opener.
    Because with today's trinkets ( rppm ), you cannot rely on their procs, so a cast sequence macro for an opener is NOT the optimal way to go about it. For example, you're lei shen trinket could proc, yet your cast sequence macro isnt to putting Doom up yet, and then you miss a full crit doom. OR the other way could happen, and your lei shen trinket could proc late, and your cast sequence already put doom up, and now you've wasted the fury to put up a shit doom etc.

    The best advice I can give, is absolutely learn your opener... but do it by hand instead of taking the easy way out. Once you have it in your muscle memory, its really easy and you'll get far more consistent and better results.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    950
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvV26V1pJA with his cast sequence i burst up to 300k+. Now my ilvl is only 530 and i dont have ULVS. This is demo btw

  9. #9
    I like the sparknuggz opener for demo. If you have a reliable pull timer out to 15-20 sec you can soulburn precombat and have a shard back before pull. Aff I tend to get dots up, a haunt, MG, trinkets proc, darksoul/trollzerk/lifeblood, SB:SS, haunt, etc. Destro doesn't open as hard as demo/aff but I find the first darksoul is more of an ember builder than ember spender.

    Demo is also going to open far harder as service than the other two choices. I play svc grim on everything but council, jikun, and raden. Council its for doom dotting/imp dmg, jikun since pets still bug out, and raden since we don't need destro anymore and I can get close to destro's damage as gosac demo.

  10. #10
    Warchief Forgettable's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    makros are bad and you schould feel bad if you use one :P
    Not sure if sarcasm. But if you're serious, no, you're the one who's bad. I literally have 80% of my abilities macroed for better than standard functionality.

    OT: Avoid castsequence macros though, they are *mostly* bad, and what you're looking for should be a learned sequence that is done based on muscle memory. In this case the ability to adapt is better than what a macro would provide for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delti View Post
    If Forgettable knew what he was doing with his keyboard, I would totally kick his ass in dps!
    ^ My guild leader while drunk.

  11. #11
    I'm seeing a few people complaining about Fury on the Demonology opener. If you're having an issue, you're simply doing something wrong. Read the Demo sticky.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    Because with today's trinkets ( rppm ), you cannot rely on their procs, so a cast sequence macro for an opener is NOT the optimal way to go about it. For example, you're lei shen trinket could proc, yet your cast sequence macro isnt to putting Doom up yet, and then you miss a full crit doom. OR the other way could happen, and your lei shen trinket could proc late, and your cast sequence already put doom up, and now you've wasted the fury to put up a shit doom etc.

    The best advice I can give, is absolutely learn your opener... but do it by hand instead of taking the easy way out. Once you have it in your muscle memory, its really easy and you'll get far more consistent and better results.
    More often than not I'm sitting on my ass waiting for a proc. I understand where you're coming from and I do remember my rotation. I'm hitting a stretch where I'm just not getting those procs at a timely manner.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    I like the sparknuggz opener for demo. If you have a reliable pull timer out to 15-20 sec you can soulburn precombat and have a shard back before pull. Aff I tend to get dots up, a haunt, MG, trinkets proc, darksoul/trollzerk/lifeblood, SB:SS, haunt, etc. Destro doesn't open as hard as demo/aff but I find the first darksoul is more of an ember builder than ember spender.

    Demo is also going to open far harder as service than the other two choices. I play svc grim on everything but council, jikun, and raden. Council its for doom dotting/imp dmg, jikun since pets still bug out, and raden since we don't need destro anymore and I can get close to destro's damage as gosac demo.
    Thanks on the destruction bit. I never considered that method on the first DS.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    I'm seeing a few people complaining about Fury on the Demonology opener. If you're having an issue, you're simply doing something wrong. Read the Demo sticky.
    No mention of fury here.

  13. #13
    The Patient Tuzantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    I'm seeing a few people complaining about Fury on the Demonology opener. If you're having an issue, you're simply doing something wrong. Read the Demo sticky.
    Maybe they don't have the 2set bonus.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    I'm seeing a few people complaining about Fury on the Demonology opener. If you're having an issue, you're simply doing something wrong. Read the Demo sticky.
    On the contrary, when playing sacrifice, if you AREN'T fury starved in the opener, you're doing something wrong.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    Because with today's trinkets ( rppm ), you cannot rely on their procs, so a cast sequence macro for an opener is NOT the optimal way to go about it. For example, you're lei shen trinket could proc, yet your cast sequence macro isnt to putting Doom up yet, and then you miss a full crit doom. OR the other way could happen, and your lei shen trinket could proc late, and your cast sequence already put doom up, and now you've wasted the fury to put up a shit doom etc.

    The best advice I can give, is absolutely learn your opener... but do it by hand instead of taking the easy way out. Once you have it in your muscle memory, its really easy and you'll get far more consistent and better results.
    This. Its better to learn and then react to whats procing rather than trying to make an easy mode macro.

  16. #16
    Actually, I believe that despite RPPM, Demo openings are roughly the same regardless of trinket procs. You don't want to start with a precast filler (SB or SF) because you don't actually WANT your trinket procs right away; so you start with Corruption, which won't proc anything until it actually ticks, a little later. Then of course you want to be HoG-weaving before you pop into your first Meta, so you put that in there, too. And lastly, you want to use your cooldowns, so you add IS and DS and any racials/profession based cooldowns as well.

    Now two things can happen: UVLS will either proc, or it won't. If it does, the opening macro leaves you enough time to put up a double (= Pandemic) Doom with full buffs (DS/racial/proff). It's not guaranteed your other RPPM things will be up at the same time, but that doesn't really matter since it's of our control anyway and we can't afford not to put up a UVLS-Doom.
    But even in case #2 not much changes - procs remain random, and so we can't really afford NOT to put up Doom, even without UVLS. After all, we might not get a proc anytime soon, and we cannot waste any ticks, can we. The only thing I could see as different would be not doing double-Doom for Pandemic without a UVLS proc, saving some fury. Chances are it'll proc before Doom is up, and then we can extend the duration like that. But since that is the very last action of the opening macro anyway, it's really not hard to just not press the button for that last time - the previous order of spells does remain the same, though, regardless of what procs.

    Of course, you are absolutely correct in that you need to know your opening sequence even without a macro, for many reasons. There may be fight-specific mechanics or demands, unforeseen interruptions, or whatnot. But that doesn't mean you can't have a macro ready anyway, just to make things easier. All tools are only as good as the person who uses them, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use tools.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •