Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Selling an item got me a warning for "Gold Buying"

So got my first warning EVER from blizzard for supposedly conducting illegal transaction.

Heres the story

I found an BOE epic Zom's Rain-Stained Cloak during my adventures, and just wanted to sell it, Fair game right?

Placed it in trade and sold for a decent price.

Ended up trading it to someone who was interested.

Got the gold for it and went on my merry way, Heres the interesting thing, got an email from blizz saying that i had paticpated in a illegal transaction, i thought it was a spoof email so i rang up to check on it.

Turns out the person i sold it to was a hacker (at least this is the story the GM on the phone told me), and while blizz comped the player who lost his gold from this hacker, I got into trouble for it.

While i didnt get perma banned or anything and just got a warning for it, all i can say is be careful on what you do or trade with these days.

I've never brought gold or anything in the 5 years ive played, ive been majorly anti gold dealer and rather earn my gold via quests/Dallies/Professions etc.

Im still thinking the person who brought it from me, must of thought he could "Cry wolf" but ill never know i guess.
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

You got a warning for trading with someone you didn't know was hacked?

Riiight... so I guess the advice is never to trade with anyone, ever, or you might be participating in illegal transactions and Blizzard will flag your account with a warning! :P

This is kind of funny story, thanks for sharing!

10+ Year Old Account
    @ OP
    Interresting story... No tell us, what REALLY happened..

A 476 cloak can NEVER sell for an amount that would make GMs intersted in your actions.. Besides, hackers don't buy gear, they sell the victim's possessions for more gold..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post

Riiight... so I guess the advice is never to trade with anyone, ever, or you might be participating in illegal transactions and Blizzard will flag your account with a warning! :P

Now im thinking like all transactions are gonna be sus from now

Just curious, how much did you sell it for?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    @ OP
    Interresting story... No tell us, what REALLY happened..

A 476 cloak can NEVER sell for an amount that would make GMs intersted in your actions.. Besides, hackers don't buy gear, they sell the victim's possessions for more gold..
    Like i said the player i sold it too, could of just cried wolf saying his account was hacked etc, I've never brought gold before ever

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find this hard to believe since Blizzard will NEVER tell you anything about another players account so would not tell you that the other person was hacked. AND, if a player cries wolf saying their account was hacked, Blizzard investigates and checks the log files to verify a compromise occurred before giving anything back.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Your story is full of gaps.
    How much you asked for it? did you skin buyer and his gold for an old epic 476 cloak?What has blizz to say in your defending "i am not a scammer-just traded someone who wanted to buy from me"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    I find this hard to believe since Blizzard will NEVER tell you anything about another players account so would not tell you that the other person was hacked. AND, if a player cries wolf saying their account was hacked, Blizzard investigates and checks the log files to verify a compromise occurred before giving anything back.
    Oh yes it happens, it happened to me once before, but that was a year or more ago. These things don't happen often though.

Mine was slightly different though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post

Exactly my thoughts. They're basically -sort of- telling you to not socialize with people at all and just use the AH xD

The auction house cartel wanted their cut.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Primus View Post
    Your story is full of gaps.
    How much you asked for it? did you skin buyer and his gold for an old epic 476 cloak?What has blizz to say in your defending "i am not a scammer-just traded someone who wanted to buy from me"?
    Sold it for 12k gold

Yes, let's all jump on the OP and say he's lying, because Blizzard has never made any type of mistakes when it comes to account violations, right?

I once got a warning on my account for using bad words in whispers with my friend, while Blizzard was investigating a ticket I made about another player that was harassing me.

After bringing up how ridiculous it was that I got a warning for talking privately with a friend of mine because they happened to see it in the logs, I ended up getting all actions on my account removed, and a formal apology from Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fps90 View Post
    Yes, let's all jump on the OP and say he's lying, because Blizzard has never made any type of mistakes when it comes to account violations, right?
    It's just as absurd as the OP claiming we should never trade anything ever again because they made a mistake this one time.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    Sold it for 12k gold
    I cant belive you got warning for selling somethig for 12k gold. Either you lie or not telling everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    Sold it for 12k gold
    Noone dishes out 12k gold on a 476 cloak. It's not even worth 1200g..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Noone dishes out 12k gold on a 476 cloak. It's not even worth 1200g..
    It's below 1k g these days, Atleast on my server.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys need to relax, this is quite normal. He didn't get any suspensions placed, if I'm correct the E-mail was simply along the lines of "In light of recent actions on your account, we'd like to remind you about the implications of gold buying"

He didn't get banned because Blizzard obviously knows he didn't actually do something illegal. Hell the gold he got wasn't even removed, was it?

Its an automatic flag. An account considered hacked traded their gold with someone else. This is what happens with hacked accounts and gold sellers. The hacker tends to sell the gold on the account. Now at the same time, the hacker could've been just an angry troll who wanted to give away the gold on that character, or like you said, it could've not really been a hack but rather the owner faked one (for any reason, I know some people who do this to exploit blizz CS as it sometimes yields in them getting twice what they lost due to GM oversights, happened to me even)

It is a completely plausible story and the only thing you can really do is stick to this saying: "If a deal is too good to be true then it usually is"

Keep it honest and you won't ever get banned by Blizzard, no matter how much you think they are evil and whatnot.

(BTW 'brought gold' and 'bought gold' are not the same thing >.< )

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some of you are like attacking him for no reason It's highly entertaining lol

Deleted
    I think the real thing to take away from this, is that if you ever get wrongfully punished on WoW, never tell MMO champion, because Blizzard never ever make mistakes.