Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    12k for that, should raise a ton of alarm bells since it is way way way above the value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Noone dishes out 12k gold on a 476 cloak. It's not even worth 1200g..
    Well maybe that's why it caught blizzards attention they thought he was laundering gold under the guise of selling an epic

The OP's story isn't that far off. I've seen this thing before, where selling to hackers can get you in trouble. Which sounds ridiculous (because how can you ever know the buyer is a hacker). I've seen blue postings confirming that you could get actioned, and I've also seen blue postings that contradict this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I think the real thing to take away from this, is that if you ever get wrongfully punished on WoW, never tell MMO champion, because Blizzard never ever make mistakes.
    I, for one, welcome our infallible Blizzard overlords.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I don't understand why someone on a stolen account would want to buy things with the gold instead of just sending it over to main account or selling it off quickly.

It's possible that he figured out that it wasn't worth anywhere near what you sold it for and decided to try and get his gold back. How do you know they gave him anything back? They're not supposed to say anything about what they do with another person's account to anyone but the owner of it. I doubt this option actually happened, unless there's so many of these that they just don't investigate it very well anymore and just throw restores out. I haven't been paying attention much but everytime I log on a forum there's a bunch of "HALP I R HACK WUT I DO??", so it's possible.

Either way, it's quite strange.

this wouldn't have happened unless your account was already flagged for whatever. so obviously you've been naughty in the past mr op :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    Well maybe that's why it caught blizzards attention they thought he was laundering gold under the guise of selling an epic
    Maybe so.. But hackers are not stupid, and since they rarely (if ever) buy stuff, they will NEVER pay 10-12x market value for an item..

Unless ofc, OP was in process of buying gold, then it's business as usual.. But OP claims he didn't do that... ;-)
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Exactly who determines these prices ? When I look on the AH on my server and I see 12K for the 476 Weapons and of the 476 Cloaks I see, they are in the 6-8K range. I see 6K for the 463 weapons. So I guess we didn't get the memo that all 476 items were suppose to be under 1200G
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-07-03 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Exactly who determines these prices ? When I look on the AH on my server and I see 12K for the 476 Weapons and of the 476 Cloaks I see, they are in the 6-8K range. I see 6K for the 463 weapons. So I guess we didn't get the memo that all 476 items were suppose to be 1200G
    Look at the link he gave... 5k is the average buyout price, which includes the first few weeks where it was grosely overpriced..

On IoT, you can get a 496 for 937VP and a 522 for 1250VP.. Noone would shell out out 5, 10 or 12k at this point in the expansion...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

10+ Year Old Account
    I was gonna say 500ish... A fast jump into the MSV ilevel requirement, if someone needs it on an alt. Worth the 500...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by kassy View Post
    this wouldn't have happened unless your account was already flagged for whatever. so obviously you've been naughty in the past mr op :>
    This is false, i have got temp suspensions twice for economic exploits (or something like that, i don't remember the exact wording) for moving big sums of gold around for legit reasons.

One was when i sponsored a guildmate to level engineering back in WotLK (so he could buy all his mats and spend more time grinding rep to get the recipe to make me the server first bike :P)
    The other time i've loaned like 50k gold to a friend.

In both cases the suspensions were lifted after talking to blizzard and explaining, the second time the rep told me that in the future when i'm making big transactions i should use the mail system (as opposed to the trade window) and write the reasoning in the message body, so that any GM examining it can see that it's legit, he also told me all transactions above some value (he didn't mention a specific number) are flagged for checking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Exactly who determines these prices ? When I look on the AH on my server and I see 12K for the 476 Weapons and of the 476 Cloaks I see, they are in the 6-8K range. I see 6K for the 463 weapons. So I guess we didn't get the memo that all 476 items were suppose to be under 1200G
    Some realms have very odd economies. Especially low pop realms do..
    If you want to find out what the mainstream prices are, you'd have to roll toons on the top 5 high pop realms, and a couple mid pop realms, to see where the tendencies are.
    Generally everyone can list anything for whatever price they wanna ask for. Whether someone buys is, is a whole different subject
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I was gonna say 500ish... A fast jump into the MSV ilevel requirement, if someone needs it on an alt. Worth the 500...
    You are probably right.. I wrote what I did, to imply that noone would agree to 1200 and then (by accident) add an extra zero in the trade window...

On IoT, you can get a 496 for 937VP and a 522 for 1250VP.. Noone would shell out out 5, 10 or 12k at this point in the expansion...
    If you're a fresh dinged 90, you do whatever you can get to to ilvl 480 asap. I personaly don't waste valor on the 489 loot, as I save it for the 522 loot. While I'm not validating his story, I've seen the rich bored players pay crazy gold for something they wanted. Back at the start of the expansion when the Banquets were expensive (or highly profitable) We had one of the local cartel guys in Stormwind buying them off the AH and then setting them out in the streets as fast as he could, he probably burned through about 20-30K in an hour just because he wanted a screenshot of a street full of feast.

With people like that in mind, I never rule out what people will pay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I think the real thing to take away from this, is that if you ever get wrongfully punished on WoW, never tell MMO champion, because Blizzard never ever make mistakes.
    And everyone's an armchair Sherlock sniffing out clues to the real story which is invariably that the OP is full of shit/a hacker or botter/goldbuyer. 12k does seem a lot for a 476 cloak but you gotta love those white knights still rallying to the cause almost nine years in in defence of the infallible Blizz.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    but you gotta love those white knights still rallying to the cause almost nine years in in defence of the infallible Blizz.
    and you have to love people on the internet, who always tell the truth

It's simply a case of Ockham's razor, what's more likely:

Did the player just make a fortune from a naive, hacked account trading a big chunk of money for a not worth it cloak (because an account hacked for it's gold would of course "give" it away...)?

or

Did he buy the gold from some site claiming it had a "fool proof" way to get his gold to him without blizzard finding out which isn't so fool proof if it's what that account always does and there's lots and trades for items not worth the value being paid?

I think the people here hit on the right questions straight away;

"why would anyone pay 12K for a 476 cloak?"
    "why would an account hacked (presumably to sell everything on it for the gold and then move it) give some of that gold away?"

None of this says "blizzard is right" what it says is "something in this story doesn't add up"
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2013-07-03 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    Some of you are like attacking him for no reason It's highly entertaining lol
    Just seems very questionable, and now that the actual figure has come out then it sounds even more suspicious.
    12k is really nothing, when I have spent 50, and 100k previously on two mounts with no consequences besides them being bad choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is not infallible. Not by any means. But the story just doesn't make sense.

Now, regarding the story not making sense- there are degrees of not making sense.

There is not making sense in the way you come home and the centerpiece of your dining room table is in the bathroom and you have no idea how it got there.

But that's not the kind of not making sense we're dealing with here. What we're dealing with here is the not making sense in the way that you come home and a midget wearing a bear head is doing the Harlem shake on your dining room table while a bunch of squirrels debate political science.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I cant belive you got warning for selling somethig for 12k gold. Either you lie or not telling everything.
    Guys, it seriously can happen. However their system is set up it must auto-trigger on anyone who had economic transactions with someone on a compromised account.

I had a guild mate get perma banned because they did a transaction with a guild mate who got hacked the following day, and she had the added bonus of being guildmates with the hacked person which you'd think would get them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't complicit in some hacking scheme. She eventually got her account reopened, but it took a lot of effort to get past the "we reviewed and our decision is final" initial responses.

There is obviously some sort of automatic trigger in these circumstances which causes ridiculous warnrings or pans to sometimes happen.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, it's OP's fault for being flagged.

If outdated loot gets sold for more than it's worth, then you may get flagged for security reasons as some gold sellers sell gold through the Auction house by putting odd things on it for dumb prices.

Example: Grey item on AH for more than it's vendor is many times also a flag. Seen greys on AH for 200.000 before, and the be gone later the day
    Last edited by Lochton; 2013-07-03 at 02:53 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..