Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Not to mention the trend of adding fluoride to the drinking water started in Nazi Germany. I guess Hitler wanted all those Jewish teeth to be nice and white before the gas chambers... *cough*
    Hitler invented the Autobahn. Are you saying we should tear up all interstates and highways because of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Hitler invented the Autobahn. Are you saying we should tear up all interstates and highways because of that?
    Of course. Didn't you know that Hitler just went around saying to himself "How can I fuck my own people up today?"

It's not like he actually cared about most of his own people (ethnic Germans and similar people) and actually wanted them to thrive...

Don't get me wrong. He was still an enormous arsehole and a war-hungry monster who persecuted basically every minority, but he did do some things right for his country, it's just a few things (rightly) overshadow those things in peoples memory of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I guess my point still stands, though?
    I dunno.. lol
    Unless you wanna clean the water with a toothbrush
    Anyhow, the matter isn't a simple one... Fluoride is found in drinking water and certain foods naturally already. That's usually very low doses. But there are certain areas where the level is too high, which can cause significant health problems. The OP confuses me a bit. The picture in the article confuses me even more.
    Ocean water has the highest amount of fluoride, naturally found in water. It's around 1.3 ppm. It is unhealthy, no doubt, at certain levels.

I am not sure what triggered it's bans though. The levels can be controlled. What are they going to do next? Altering salt? Sodium has fluoride in it. Naturally...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Don't we do that already? By the conditions of the interstate, it's not too far away from that.... lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Callude View Post
    Of course. Didn't you know that Hitler just went around saying to himself "How can I fuck my own people up today?"

It's not like he actually cared about most of his own people (ethnic Germans and similar people) and actually wanted them to thrive...

Don't get me wrong. He was still an enormous arsehole and a war-hungry monster who persecuted basically every minority, but he did do some things right for his country, it's just a few things (rightly) overshadow those things in peoples memory of him.
    The difficulty lies in who remembers him.
    Elderly Germans who lived through his reign remember very well all the good things he's done in the beginning. He's achieved things, we all would love for our governments to achieve only in parts... When was the last time someone cut unemployment by 8% within 9 month.
    He was probably also the first who gave social benefits to the entire nation, like free vacations for entire families. He brought food back to the populations tables, brought money back into their wallets, brought work back to them, and introduced the probably largest well being programs any country ever had.

And had the winning alliances from WW1 accepted that Germany will no longer pay any reparation and let's it's people die from starvation, probably nothing would have ever happened, other than he retaking German territories that weren't even defended by anyone, and the people there cheered when the German troops invaded them.

But then... he turned bat shit crazy...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Did you even read the article you posted? At least scroll down to the bold "UPDATE" section.

While it may be correct that freshwater fluoridation may cause more health problems than it might solve, this was not the reason why it is not done in Europe and the real reasons aren't mentioned in a single argument in your source.

It's a public health policy with enough uncertainty on the exacts of benefits and harms to be reasonable for countries to make their own decisions on. Lots of countries use it, lots of countries don't. This doesn't imply that kooky conspiracy theories are valid, and it surely doesn't imply that fluoride is "bad for you".

Uhhh..."fluorosis is a leading cause of tooth decay" ????!!??? Really? I'd like to see some facts to back up that BS statement. I know the "leading" causes of tooth decay and fluorosis sure wasn't one they taught in DENTAL school.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonvr View Post
    Uhhh..."fluorosis is a leading cause of tooth decay" ????!!??? Really? I'd like to see some facts to back up that BS statement. I know the "leading" causes of tooth decay and fluorosis sure wasn't one they taught in DENTAL school.
    I don't see any information on this page about epidemiology, but it's certainly a cause of tooth decay. I can't really think of any reason the CDC would have misinformation about fluorosis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Fluoridated Vodka?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonvr View Post
    I'd be curious to understand what it was exactly they taught you?
    Not because I'm skeptical, but because I want to try and understand it.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    OP, have you read the whole article you posted?

It is a false claim that 98% of the Europeans have banned water fluoridation, and it's also misleading, because it implies it's the only form of fluoridation. Right there, in the link you provided.

Dental fluorosis is NOT a cause of tooth decay, it's merely an aesthetical concern.

Where is the research saying that water fluoridation is harmful to the environment or to humans?

And surely you are not confusing ionic F with molecular F, right?
    http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...11571&page=268

Flouride destroys the immune system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidpci View Post
    That's a shame, most of the EU has banned it.
    even more reason to keep it here in the uk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Water is just as bad for you at certain levels as fluoride is bad for you at certain levels. Doesn't mean they need to be banned. The levels currently allowed in water are noenough to cause quantifiable harm.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidpci View Post
    http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...r-fluoridation

The idea here is that, even while multiple universities and medical trials proven fluoride is harmful, it's a necessary evil to prevent... tooth decay. Even though fluorosis is a leading cause of tooth decay. And of course, I'm the tin foil hat guy that hasn't been to the dentist in almost 20 years brushing with fluoride free toothpaste. But, you know... IT'S GOOD FER YE! Government says so. Never mind all those counties in America that have voted to remove it from the tap water, they're a bunch of tin foil hats like me.

/sarcasm

Placing fluoride in the drinking water to prevent tooth decay is like ingesting sun screen to prevent sun burn. Not to mention the trend of adding fluoride to the drinking water started in Nazi Germany. I guess Hitler wanted all those Jewish teeth to be nice and white before the gas chambers... *cough*
    The link you posted has an edit to it. The milk and table salt in the countries in question is fluoridated. So, those people are still getting fluoride in some way shape or form. The fact that it's been "banned" from drinking water is moot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It isn't the fact that it'll kill you. It is bad for your brain, and can damage organs, As well as cause birth defects.
    So can salt. And water. And sugar. And sunshine.
    Too much of just about anything is bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't see any information on this page about epidemiology, but it's certainly a cause of tooth decay. I can't really think of any reason the CDC would have misinformation about fluorosis.
    And yet the CDC does NOT list fluorosis as a cause of tooth decay.

You need 3 things in order to get tooth decay:

1. a tooth (obviously)
    2. A specific bacteria (Streptococcus mutans)
    3. A food source for the bacteria (usually the crud that is left on teeth)

ph is another factor that can contribute to a better habitat for the bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...11571&page=268

Flouride destroys the immune system.
    Yeah... in concentrations of 20+ mg/L.

Which would be why recommended fluoridation levels in drinking water are under 1.5 mg/L.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just add sodium into your water. Then the fun begins.

I wish they would stop giving it into a drinking water. It tastes like **** .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

It is true that most countries in EU dont have fluoride in the water, very few do and generally isnt nationwide but restricted to specific companies.

Even if it is not harmful (which plenty of research suggests it is to a limited degree) there is no reason to put it in water, so why put it?

We as a species really gotta stop messing up with our environment and doing senseless things, if it has no real, very good reason to happen, dont do it.

It has very little to no effect in dental health (EU teeth is just as good as US its more down to live habits than water fluoridation lol), not to mention it assumes people will be drinking the water which plenty dont, due to many reasons other than the fluoride such as tap water tasting like shit from many other chemicals in it, i dont even use it to cook since the area i live has very hard water and i like my kidneys without stones.

other concerns may arise from bathing/showering considering your skin absorbs the water and whatever is in it, my skin has improved a LOT since i installed filters in the shower to remove chloride and whatever else is in the water, reduction in redness, dryness, far less breakouts, looks better.

The question is not "will it kill you" or "is it a conspiracy!11" but "why even put it in the water to start with"
    If one understands how the body works reducing the amount of harmful substances from one's environment is always good, even if they dont have "that much of an impact" on your general wellbeing, but in the end its all about accumulation and stacking up with other factors that each by itself is harmless, when joined together over a long period of time it will have effects, even if not huge, those combined with other things such as general lifestyle can start creating problems.

PS: all water contains a small degree of fluoride naturally, but its tiny amounts just as it contains many other substances present in the soil.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-07-03 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's all part of the vast conspiracy to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.

Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!